ROCK Installation - NUC Legacy Boot Has No Boot Drives

@dylan, thanks for the response. Yes, I did buy another SSD but didn’t solve the problem.

Here’s my diagnosis so far - the current ROCK instructions (i.e. the legacy boot on SSD) are only valid with older versions of the Intel Visual Bios. I am curious to know if you can try the same thing on NUC 7i7 with Visual Bios v.0083 (the current version) and properly boot the Roon OS on the SSD.

Thank you.

Thanks for the update, @hgim82. I’ve passed this along to the QA team and will follow up when I have more info.

Hello @hgim82,

I am so embarrassed that we have missed out on this thread until today, October first, that I could barely bring myself to reply after this long. Please, accept my most sincere apology for this - the thread got lost between teams. This happens very rarely, but, when it does it is mortifying. I am sorry…

I will, however, adventure to ask if things have changed at all since we last chatted. Is there any update you can share, or is everything exactly the same?

Well, there is nothing for you to check with me. As you can see the threads above, it was Roon’s turn to get back to me if you confirm what I diagnosed - ROCK does not work with newer Intel Bios v.0052. Have you got any response from the technical team?

Roon’s support used to be superb, but it has declined significantly in the past couple of years. I’m a lifetime member but I’m losing my faith in the future of Roon…

Hello Andrew (@hgim82 ),

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, we had to check with our hardware team regarding your case here. We have many NUC 7i7 installs working without issue, but there is clearly something preventing your boot drive from showing up.

It looks like Intel has BIOS 0085 out now, and the team has noted that BIOS 0085 should have some improvements that may help with this behavior. Can you please confirm if the behavior is the same on this BIOS? Here is a direct link:

Thank you!

Hey @hgim82,

I wanted to chime in just for a moment and check in. Did the steps outlined by Noris help at all?

We’d love to continue to help if needed :nerd_face:

@noris and @beka, thank you for the follow-up. As I said, I moved on with using the NUC as a Windows machine with Roon app running. I am not interested in further trial and error to check if ROCK works on the current version of the Intel Bios.

Rather, it is Roon’s responsibility to test out ROCK on various versions of the Visual Bios to make sure that the installation process works as instructed. From your statement, it is still unclear if you confirmed that ROCK works on Bios 0083 or not. Also, it is your responsibility, not mine, to make sure that it works with Bios 0085, so that the many Roon users don’t waste time to try it out with no avail.

Finally, “legacy” boot literally means that Intel no longer encourages or supports users to rely on this boot mode. Roon should immediately upgrade the ROCK to work on the regular Bios without resorting to the legacy mode. It’s a shame that the ROCK still remains in such an archaic form.

Hello @hgim82 ,

We have tried BIOS 0085 for a similar model NUC on our end and it worked as expected, and we’ve heard reports that BIOS 0085 has solved similar issues for other NUC models as well.

This is something that’s being looked into, although I can’t comment on a timeline.

Since Windows is working as expected, please continue to use that, and we’ll be on the lookout for any other reports of similar behavior in the future, thanks!

Sorry for resurrecting a semi-old thread, but I have these exact same symptoms (no Legacy Boot drive showing up) on a NUC6i3SYH, also with an M.2 SSD. The latest BIOS version for this is 0073 (apparently from 2020), which exhibits the same behavior. I have tried also downgrading to 0067, but that didn’t help (I couldn’t go further back, as it complains that older BIOS versions are not compatible (tried 0051 and 0045, as I couldn’t find any versions in between 0051 and 0067)).

I have successfully installed both Linux Mint and Windows 10 on the NUC, both with UEFI support enabled; without UEFI I can’t get anything to boot off the SSD. Does anyone have any ideas I could try, or do I need to try to find something with an older BIOS yet installed?

When you Roon Labs guys tested the NUC6i3SYH (it’s in the supported devices list), at what BIOS version was that?

Sorry to hear about your trouble. As you can see from the response by Noris, he claims that the problem has been fixed since Bios 0085, while I tried up to 0083 and gave up. You may want to try the latest version 0085. If it still doesn’t work, then I guess you just use the core as a Windows machine, or else keep complaining until Roon develops a new ROCK OS that runs on UEFI. It is absurd that Roon’s proud stand-alone OS relies on the “legacy” boot mode which has been abandoned by Intel years ago.

I am a lifetimer since 2015, used to be a passionate advocate of Roon, but over the years their tech support went down the tube… With the many competitors improving the UI and metadata, I am not too optimistic about Roon’s future, considering the way it is operated now.

The NUC6i3SYH NUC should have legacy bios. I am not sure I completely understand your question. If you don’t mind, could you please elaborate on a few points?

1. Is Windows (or Linux Mint) currently installed on your M.2 drive?
  2. Are you trying to install ROCK?
  3. When you burned the ROCK install image to a USB thumb drive, did you specify UEFI boot in your image burning application?

Please, let me know so I can help you further.

I can’t seem to find any newer BIOS than 0073 for the NUC6i3SYH (BIOS Update [SYSKLi35]), so I can’t try 0085. Apparently as it’s discontinued, Intel stopped creating new BIOS versions for the NUC6.

1. Currently I have Windows 10 installed on the M.2 drive. This was done just as a POC to see whether I can install and boot anything from the SSD (it works, since it uses UEFI). I previously had Linux Mint installed on it (also as a POC, and it also worked with UEFI). When I installed LM using Legacy Boot (when UEFI was disabled in BIOS), I couldn’t boot that either, even though the installation went fine.
  2. Yes. And I can do that just fine, ROCK installation says everything goes smoothly, but I just can’t boot into it after installation. I get the “Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”-message when I try.
  3. No, I used Etcher (which doesn’t allow to specify UEFI or Legacy).
  4. Because someone will eventually ask, I have enabled Legacy Boot (Secure Boot disabled), and that is not the issue here. I can boot from a USB stick with Legacy Boot just fine, so Legacy Boot itself is working. The issue is that Legacy Boot doesn’t see the M.2 SSD, so it won’t allow me to boot from it.

I have the exact same symptoms as hgim82. I can see the M.2 SSD in devices, but not in the Legacy Boot list. You can see hgim82:s screenshots above for how mine looks, they’re identical to mine (except I have a 128 GB SSD instead of his 512 GB and a different vendor). And I have the exact same issue, wherein I can install ROCK but can’t get the NUC to boot from the SSD in Legacy Boot.

As I’m doing this setup for a friend who is not very tech savvy, the whole idea was to get a system which is “fire and forget”, which ROCK should have been. That’s why I don’t want to go the Windows 10 + Roon Server route if I can help it.

@Puderzo This is exactly what I meant. Somehow along the way after Bios v. 005* through 0083, the legacy boot mode lost the ability to read M.2 SSD drive as an available boot disk. I haven’t tried 0085 so I cannot confirm if the problem has been fixed.

Roon should have tested the ROCK installation throughout different generations of Bios and made it clear. Apparent they slipped, and never followed up on this important error, and it is user’s agony to find it out by trial and error.

Just like you, I set it up for a friend who doesn’t know much about these things. He has been struggling to use the NUC in Windows mode and gave up using the NUC altogether as it cannot run ROCK OS.

Thank you for answering my questions. I understand now what the problem is. I would like to suggest that you follow these directions for enabling legacy bios boot for Roon ROCK. Yes, I know you said you already enabled legacy and disabled secure boot, but perhaps you missed something.

I also recently installed ROCK on a NUC for a friend. Following the directions described in that thread made it possible to install ROCK and boot in legacy mode. The same options should be available in your NUC.

Finally, if you still cannot boot into ROCK, I would suggest formatting your m.2 drive and installing ROCK again. Perhaps there’s some UEFI boot loader still on that drive, and that’s what BIOS sees when trying to boot into ROCK? It’s unlikely, but worth a try.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, but I already tried replicating those steps. One problem is that NUC6 BIOS setuip look totally different from the NUC10 BIOS. I suspect this is because NUC6 uses Visual BIOS whereas NUC10 uses Aptio V BIOS. Also, when I downgraded to 0067, I found what apparently is the same as this Legacy S3 Standby, but it’s disappeared from 0073; anyway, it didn’t help when tried different settings of this in 0067. All other settings are as per Stephen_Mills’ setup in that thread.

I will now try with a SATA II SSD I have lying around, to see if this is only M.2 related. Like I said, I can Legacy Boot from a USB drive, so the only issue is with Legacy Boot not seeing the M.2 drive.

Success!

I inserted an old 60 GB SATA II SSD into the 2.5" slot, and booted up my now installed Windows 10. I could see it contained an NTFS drive, but I left it intact just to see what NUC thought about it. I booted into the BIOS and lo and behold, I could suddenly see my M.2 SSD in the Legacy Boot sequence!

I couldn’t see the SATA II drive there (probably because it’s not a boot drive, and NTFS to boot), but that doesn’t matter, as I could now see my M.2 SSD. I removed the SATA II drive, and it made no difference; apparently the BIOS needed something else on the SATA bus to notice that my M.2 was there, and now that it’s seen it can be used. I proceeded with the ROCK installation, and I now have a working ROCK!

So to cap up, if you’re in the same boat as me, try connecting another storage to the SATA bus, and see if it helps.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.