Rock won't install on NUC from USB

I’m not currently in the same location as the unit - however, I can say absolutely that UEFI is enabled.

As well I went through the ROCK install guide as well as the paper on preparing the BIOS guide and checked and doubled checked all settings to ensure it wasn’t something there.

When you boot up the nucleus and press F10 it shows the USB drive - but when you select to boot off of it - the drive flashes once and then it simply boots off the M2 drive (which has an outdated version of Rock on it - and as such none of the new remotes will contect to it - and thus can’t do an update)

Please note as well installing Ubuntu server off the same USB drive and installing Roon server on all the same hardware on Linux - runs Roon perfectly……

Need to be able to install the Roon Rock image to this new HD

Hi Martin,
I will post a pic of that after I’ve reconnected the NUC to a monitor. It’s currently running server on Ubuntu headless somewhere else. My experience was exactly as James described, with the Rock install USB available as a boot option and with UEFI enabled, but the machine always instantly booted from the other available OS (or none at all after erasing the SSD).

There wasn’t any lag time-- It booted Windows or Ubuntu after a failed Rock install as quickly as when I booted those OSs purposely without trying Rock. So, the Rock install didn’t get stalled along the way; it seemed to never start at all.

1 Like

H Martin,
Here are some screenshots of what I see when trying to install Rock (still no luck).
There is the boot menu showing the USB drive, what appears on the screen directly after trying to boot from this drive, and the BIOS page.

Please let me know if it looks like any settings here might be at fault.
IMG_2216

IMG_2223

Have you verified that the PC is set to UEFI boot?
Have you done a BIOS update?

It looks like you’re attempting to boot Ubuntu first (that’s the likely reason for the errors .)

Change boot order in the Visual BIOS, to see if this works.

SoI switched the boot order with the ROCK image USB at the top, with Ubuntu below it, but this time when I started the NUC to the boot menu via f10 the USB did not show as an option. I went back to the menu BIOS menu and it is still there, on top. I disabled Legacy Boot when I reordered, so I don’t know if there is any correlation between that and the USB not showing as an option on the boot screen…

Hi @Peter_Lucas,

The tech support team attempted to pull a diagnostic report from your account, and it appears your Core has not reached our servers in several weeks. Are you still experiencing issues installing ROCK on your NUC? Are you otherwise unable to use Roon? We’ll keep an eye on this thread to assist as necessary.

Hi Connor,
Thanks so much for checking in. I re-attempted to install ROCK on the NUC without success and then pulled in the PC expert from my work to help check if I am doing anything wrong. He’s still taking a look, and if there is no success with ROCK I’ll revert to running Roon server off Ubuntu. I am keen to see if I can crack this.

As an update to this post, I’ve finally been able to get Rock installed on this NUC. I thought I’d share the solution here in case it’s useful to anyone else. Thanks to everyone who suggested a step on this thread. I ultimately looped in the PC expert at my work who was able to crack it. His hypothesis is that the formatting of the USB was to blame, with a possible explanation of HD partitions.

His steps were as follows:

•Seems the etcher instructions didn’t prepare the USB quite as needed.
•I formatted it with FAT32 and got the EFI partition.
•I opened the .gz using a zip program.
•I opened the .img inside the gz
•I dragged the files out of that and put them on the partition of the newly formatted USB.

It booted as expected.

In addition, I did remove all the partitions on the hard drive before I started - this could have played a part.

2 Likes

Wonderful news @Peter_Lucas, and thank you for sharing the steps taken to resolve.

This thread will autoclose shortly, but please do start a new thread if you encounter any issues on ROCK moving forward.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.