roo6D - The wireless high-end physical volume knob for Roon

Hi, I have all the components and followed the instructions, everything works on the knob except the volume, it doesn’t control the Roon volume, can you advise please?

Regards from Australia

By default, the volume is changed by the controller at playback only.
In Roon go to Settings->Extensions->roo6D-Settings

1. Make sure you have selected the “Zone” to control
  2. Change the option “Change volume at playback only” to “No”

Hi Kraus, I have selected the correct zone, Changed volume at playback only” to “No” but still cannot control the volume.

The Roon volume control says “volume control fixed” do you think this is my problem? I cannot seem to change this.

Regards, Nick

Yes, I think this could be the problem. You have to select your audio device and set the volume control from “fixed volume” to “device volume”. This should work…

Roon Nucleus cat5 cable to,

Office, into MacBook Air then to Topping D30 dac then to Singxer SA1 headphone amplifier

Lounge, into Sonora Rendu then into ADA DAC2 then to amplifier.

The Roon interface that I use to control the ADE DAC2 is the issue and this is what I want to use the volume control with, I cannot change the volume control where the music is playing through the ADE DAC2 in the Roon software.

Any ideas please?

Kind regards,

Nick

@Nick_Ryan,
you should go to the device settings of your Sonore Redu as described in the post above and change “Device Volume” from “Fixed Volume” to “DSP Volume”. That should do the trick.

Best DrCWO

Hi, yes, yes, yes that did the trick, thanks for the advice, am loving the remote now :slight_smile: great for my partner in the kitchen to mute or skip when she is cooking etc.

many thanks,

Regards, Nick

1 Like

I use Nuimo, Surface puck and Space Mouse with each of your extensions in different rooms, very happy with all of them, particularly the space mouse which is on my office desk.

Is there a place where you publish release notes ? I see the rooExtend extension is at 2.3.2, my space mouse is using 2.2.1 - Not sure whether it is worth updating?

Regards

Ken

Hi @Ken_Hayward,
thanks for your positive feedback :smile:

You find the release notes in the Quick installation guide in my download folder
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k?usp=sharing

Best DrCWO

Thank you for the quick response, found them. Worth upgrading.

Hi, I have purchased a new space mouse wireless but am having an issue where only the rotary volume, push play/pause and action buttons are working. When I used it for the first time I briefly had left, right scrubbing but since then nothing. I have tried it on 2 different RPi4 4gb and both rooExtend 2.3.2 and the beta 2.3.3, Same results with both. I am also running rooDial, rooWatch and rooPlay. Also ever since I updated to 2.3.2 rooWatch has multiple times a day lost the license and watch constantly loses connection while in use, this never happened with 2.3.1. Any help with these issues would be much appreciated as I very much enjoy your products.

There is a setting “Change volume on playback only”. Make sure it is set to “No”. Then check if the volume controls work as expected, i.e. even when no music is playing.
For the connection issues: How far is the Space Mouse away from the RPi? Can you bring the Space Mouse closer and check if the issue persists?
Not sure what causes the lost license problem. Maybe it’s related to the connection problem.

1 Like

The volume control (rotary) works fine. It’s the left + right (scrubbing) and forward + backward (mute / shuffle) that doesn’t work. Spacemouse is about 2 meters away from RPi. I have plugged space mouse into computer and all actions work with 3dconnexion software but not with roo6D. Its rooWatch that has connection issues.

Have you set up the correct actions for the keys un the settings dialog? roo6D is the most stable of all our Roon Extensions. We never saw any issue here until now :thinking:

Yes, have tried them all.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Please try to reflash the SD-card.
If the issue persists maybe there was a change in the SpaceMouse firmware and it now send other keys that we don’t know. In this case pleas open a PM to me and I will see how to find the issue. Are you experienced using a Linux shell?

Best DrCWO

Hopefully, someone can help me here.

Having enjoyed using rooWatch for a month or so now, I bought a SpaceMouse and set it up with licence etc., earlier today. It works exactly as it should when wired but I can’t seem to get it to do anything via the receiver USB dongle. I have tried various USB ports on my Pi4, including the one used when I tested the SpaceMouse in wired mode.

The spaceMouse and dongle work fine on my Mac, so are paired and in the Roon Extensions it is showing as connected to the correct audio zone, whether wired or wireless. However, when wired it also shows battery level, which it does not when wireless. Any ideas what might be happening here and how to fix?

Have tried switching on/ off both Pi and SpaceMouse a number of times but no luck re wireless functionality.

Some more information about my query above and (lack of) progress so far…

Having seen the message from DrCWO (no.116) immediately above my first message, I decided to try to re-flash the SD card. Prior to doing so, I noticed that in my haste to set up the rooWatch a while ago, I had used the wrong rooExtend image (v.2.3.x) for my Pi4 (should have used v.3.0.x). Thinking that might be the cause of my problems I downloaded the correct image and tried to re-flash the SD card. This was done under the admin account on my iMac M1, BalenaEtcher has ‘Full disk access’ and the SD card has permissions set so that anyone can read/ write.

1. On inserting the card my iMac said it couldn’t access it though I can see it in Finder and in Disk Utility. 2. Tried running BalenaEtcher anyway - it said the drive (32Gb) was too small and needed a further 3.8x Gb of space.
  2. Fired up Disk Utility to erase and reformat drive - just hangs and had to Force Quit. Tried a number of times with various formatting protocols and same issue each time.
  3. Back to BalenaEtcher to see if Disk Utility had done anything but get same error needing more space, so my assumption, yet to be tested, is that the old image is still there (probably wishful thinking).
  4. Inserted a new, unused 32Gb SD card. Ran BalenaEtcher. No disk full error but when flashing the drive it throws up “EBUSY: resource busy or locked open ‘/dev/rdisk6’”, whatever that means.

So beginning to regret this SpaceMouse business.

I’m hoping that the original SD card with the wrong image on it will still work - about to test that out. At least then I can use rooWatch as before. However, I was wondering if anyone has advice if there’s another way round this or if there’s alternative software that I could try to flash the card?

Any suggestions gratefully received before I take a hammer to the Raspberry Pi!

This is strange :thinking:

I would try to reflash the SD-Card and start with a fresh install. Put in the wireless receiver of the SpaceMouse and you should be fine. Don‘t use wired connection. I never did and it always worked flawlessly.

Please report if this did the trick…

Best DrCWO

There is something wrong with your mac running balena. I would try to reboot the mac and then restart flashing.

The v3.x.x. Image ist not the reason why…