roo6D - The wireless high-end physical volume knob for Roon

Good morning. Yes, I wondered that too and did restart the Mac this morning but got same issue. I will remove Etcher and reinstall it and try again. will let you know results.

Thanks for replies,

John

Deleted Balena Etcher and re-installed it. Still getting EBUSY error. I also tried it with the older image file I used on the original SD card but still get the same error.

This is strange because when I set up rooWatch, it all worked seamlessly as per instructions.

Also others some few times reported issues using the mac with balena. Regarding low level hardware based things the mac sometimes seams to be not a very nice companion :disappointed_relieved:

The only thing I think that happens on the mac is that it recognizes the filesystem already on the SD and mounts or try to mount it. Maybe the latest MacOS release can read the sd card file system? Did you have a tool to swipe the sd completely maybe in an win devcice?

To be quite frank I guess I can‘t help here very much as I am a Win10 user.

I wonder why first usage of wired mode blocked wireless. Maybe @Klaus_Engel has an explanation for this.

Well I seem to have flashed the new drive with the right image. The drive had been formatted in AFPS format. So I wiped it completely and formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32). Balena then added the image to the SD card.

So a step forward. I’ll try that in the Pi and see if it makes any difference to the wireless connection though not hopeful given your reply a few messages above. I’ll report back.

OK, new SD card in Pi4, licences restored. As before, rooWatch works fine but still nothing using the SpaceMouse wireless. Have tried different USB slots, switching on/ off SpaceMouse and rebooting Pi but can’t get it to work wirelessly.

I suppose I can try pairing them again but not sure if that will make a difference given that the pairing seems to work when I use the SpaceMouse on the Mac.

Is there anything else worth trying?

Hmm,
I guess we need some advice from @Klaus_Engel here :thinking:

Maybe the dongle you use send a different HID code that we did not already know.
I know there are different codes for wired and wireless we implemented.

Please let’s wait for @Klaus_Engel replies, probably this evening…

Best DrCWO

OK, thanks. I did pair them again and confirmed all works fine on the Mac but it still doesn’t work when I switch to the Raspberry. I understand it’s supposed to maintain the pairing when switching to different machines but perhaps it’s losing the pairing for some reason.

As advised, I’ll wait to see if Klaus has any ideas what might be going on.

I wonder why you talk about pairing?
My SpaceMouse Wireless was shipped with a USB receiver and worked out of the box without any pairing?
On my SapceMouse there also is no Pairing-Button?

Well the original dongle and SpaceMouse are paired at the factory according to 3Dconnexion. I lost my original dongle a while back so purchased a new one from them as I wanted to use your software for Roon. Their software includes a pairing module, partly to enable you to connect more than one SpaceMouse at a time to a single dongle, and it specifically states that once paired they will continue to be paired until removed by the software.

However, although paired successfully using their software and tested through their training module, I just wonder if somehow it’s losing the connection. I have asked them this and am awaiting a response.

We support the following vendorIDs and deviceIDs:
devices[“SpaceNavigator”] = { vendor: 0x046D, product: 0xC626, wireless: false };
devices[“SpaceMouseCompact”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC635, wireless: false };
devices[“SpaceMouseWireless”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC62E, wireless: true };
devices[“SpaceMousePro”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC631, wireless: true };
devices[“SpaceMouseProWirelessMode”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC632, wireless: true };
devices[“UniversalReceiver”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC652, wireless: true };
devices[“SpaceMouseWirelessReceiver”] = { vendor: 0x256F, product: 0xC62F, wireless: true };

In MacOSX, just can check the vendorID and deviceID of your plugged in dongle in System Report:
Apple Menu->About This Mac->More Info…->System Report->Hardware->USB
Please check if the Product ID and Vendor ID show there matches any of the ones shown above.

1 Like

Klaus,

Many thanks. I have the universal receiver, as below, taken from the system report. This does match your universal device except that my Vendor ID ends with lower case ‘f’, not a capital ‘F’. Could that be the issue here?

For information, I did receive an update Mac driver from 3DConnexion this afternoon, which I was hopeful about, however, I still get the same problem - no wireless functionality on the Raspberry Pi. I think it may be the receiver at fault since on some occasions, returning to the iMac, the device shows as no paired items. So I think may be dropping the pairing. Anyway, please confirm if you think the different vendor ID might be at fault, failing that, I’ll let you know how I get on with 3DConnexion. I may also go out and get another receiver and try to pair it.

John

3Dconnexion Universal Receiver:

Product ID: 0xc652
Vendor ID: 0x256f
Version: 1.06
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Manufacturer: 3Dconnexion
Location ID: 0x02320000 / 12
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 98
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

If the receiver looses pairing you are lost. There is no way to pair it in rooExtend. We rely on a paired receiver otherwise get unfunctional.

Please check with 3dConnexion if they can send you an original receiver that is paired by default.

Best DrCWO

No, the ‘f’ instead of the capital “F” does not matter. Must be a pairing issue.

Thanks both for your responses.

I agree that if the pairing is falling then I’ll need to get another receiver. However, I wonder if there’s also something else going on.

For example, this afternoon, after receiving the new 3DConnexion software, my testing was as follows:

1. iMac - paired devices
  2. iMac test - wireless functionality OK
  3. Pi4 test - wired functionality OK, wireless failed. Tested in same USB2 port.
  4. iMac test - still paired and wireless functionality OK
  5. Pi4 test - wireless functionality failed in all 4 USB ports
  6. iMac test - no longer paired, no functionality, won’t pair

So at the first Pi4 test, the devices were still paired, since they were still paired when I went back to the iMac at 4 above. This suggests there’s another reason why the wireless functionality isn’t working on the Pi4.

I note that the Pi4 has two USB2 and two USB3 ports and I wonder if trying the receiver in all four ports has somehow damaged the receiver? I.e. that putting it into the USB3 ports is causing the disconnect? If I remember rightly, the very first time I used the receiver in the Pi4, I put it in one of the USB3 ports, not realising they were different. However, this wouldn’t explain why it still worked on the iMac.

Anyway, thanks again for replies. I’ll let you know if I get it working with a new receiver.

All the best,

John

The receiver works well in all four USB ports. never saw so anything else. But for sure I only tested with the original one…

Something strange is going on for you. I have no idea what - the behavior you’re seeing is bizarre.

I have the same device you do. When plugged into a Mac, I see the same product and vendor strings inclusive of capitalization.

I haven’t installed any software on the Mac I’m testing with. I plug the receiver into the Mac, the device works. I plug the receive into my Pi4, the device works. I can move the receiver to any USB port - they all work. I switch to using a cable (USB A → Micro USB) with the Pi, it works.

If your SpaceMouse works on a given USB port with a cable, then you’ve proven that port is functioning. The receiver should work in that port. If it doesn’t work, then I don’t think you can conclude that the port is malfunctioning.

I just rotated through all four ports - without power cycling the Pi4 at any of these steps, I inserted the receiver into a port, verified that the mouse was seen and functioning. Pulled the receiver, stuck it into another port, confirmed functioning. Did that across all ports twice.

I don’t know if you are actually having a pairing issue or not. If you are finding that pairing is getting lost - and I think your Mac and the vendor’s software is the best way to figure that out - then you have broken hardware. My educated guess is that the receiver has a small bit of solid state storage in which it persists device pairing. It has to work that way. If your theory is that inserting the receiver into your Pi is erasing the pairing then your theory is “My receiver is broken” because that just should not happen.

The most clarifying piece of information here is whether or not you are seeing your receiver drop the pairing. If you are, it’s broken. It shouldn’t do that.

1 Like

If you bought you mouse and receiver as one then they’d come factory paired. So you’d have no need for pairing software. As my receiver was purchased later to replace a lost one then it can only be paired via the 3DConnexion software downloaded from their site.

It does work but then something is causing the pairing to fail. I agree it may well be the receiver itself but waiting to hear from vendor before taking any more action.

Might be a while.

Correct and I’m not contesting any of that. I’m just saying that whether you are using the original receiver or a replacement, the receiver should not lose a pairing once the pairing has been established. If you are sure that you are seeing the pairing drop (and you verify this on a Mac or PC), then you have a SpaceMouse, not a rooExtend or Pi, problem.

I’ve never used the SpaceMouse software. If you have a pairing established, and you connect the receiver without powering on the SpaceMouse, does the software show you the pairing? Or does it only show you the pairing if the SpaceMouse is powered on? The reason I ask is because figuring that out might help you determine if it’s the receiver or mouse causing the issue.

While you wait, have you considered buying a Dial? :slight_smile: I’m not entirely being facetious - this is a matter of personal preference but I like the Dial better than the SpaceMouse, personally.

No, haven’t considered a Dial, though may do if I can’t get this sorted. I decided to go down this route primarily for my wife as I’m quite happy with Watch.

I’ll probably fiddle around with it in the next couple of days or so to see if I can figure out if it is the receiver or the Mouse while I see if I get anywhere with 3DConnexion.

Hello everyone and @DrCWO.

I moved my Roo6D from on RooExtend Pi to another. Since then, and for the first time with the Space Mouse, I am experiencing some flakiness.

The Roo6D extension shows in roon as connected and it shows battery status, it even changes to another zone to follow playback. However, I can’t use any of the controls. It’s totally unresponsive.

What I have tried…

1. Reflashing the RPI
  2. Rebooting everything

Anyone else experience this? @DrCWO - Do you want me to share logs?