rooAIDJ - Chat-based AI for Roon

Where is the setting to turn speech recognition on for the app? If I say Hey Siri, she will only play to Apple Music.

• Ok I found the dictation icon in the keypad. Silly question but I never used Siri from the keypad before!

I tried ā€œAlbum von Eric Claptonā€ (in German) and it gave me a list of albums and played them fairly contiguously. Not sure that itā€™s the point of the app though. I would be more inclined to generate a playlist and, if I like a song, go from there to the album in Roon and insert it in the queue.

When I try this I get a 1h 45min playlist of 25 EC songs from some the EC albums it had listed.

Currently, it would appear that if I ask a question like the best selling R&B album from 1965, and it tells you what it is I cant actually play it through rooAIDJ.

.sjb

You are right! Nice testingā€¦

Interesting.

It is known that chatGPT makes things up that donā€™t exist. These are known as ā€œhallucinationsā€ in the AI literature. I see this all the time but this is the first time I am seeing it in the context of playlists.

1 Like

You canā€™t ask you to play music, but no matter what I try. I cannot seem to get an album played.

It comes up with different versions as per screenshot.

.sjb

1 Like

Well, this is right. rooAIDJ ist made to find new music. Why not use Roon to play the album if you know itā€™s title?

Technically rooAIDJ tries to interpret the output of ChatGPT. It mainly focusses on lists and in the list only the titles are mentioned so it sends the title to the Roon search and gets the results you see.

In the Settings of the rooAIDJ App you can select between ā€œFastā€ and ā€œSaveā€.
In ā€œSaveā€ mode - after the display of the ChatGPT response - rooAIDJ asks ChatGPT to generate a list in JSON format. This list includes the Album name and will provide what you like to get. But this is an additional request to ChatGPT and will take some time.

You can try if you like. This setting works for me except for the first title.
Artificial intelligence is not an exact science. Itā€™s kind of human :wink:

best DRCWO

1 Like

Iā€™m not seeing that option?

Am I l looking in the wrong place.

I must add Iā€™m having great fun with the app and I suppose everything I am highlighting are deficiencies rather than what is working well, but Iā€™m currently listening to a playlist of jazz designed around background music for reading a book which is working very well :ok_hand:

.sjb

Yes I see seems on my iPad it is called ā€žFastā€œ and ā€žSaveā€œ and on the phone it is called ā€žTurbo modeā€œ. Have to ask @Klaus_Friedchen why this is different :thinking:
Please try to disable this :wink:

This is a good exercise in prompt engineering. Iā€™m using rooAIDJ like this, mostly:

Create a list of 25 emotional vocal jazz cover songs, taking into consideration that I like Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall and Sara Bareilles. Do not limit the selection to these interprets.

What also works well. Just telling GPT what kind of music you like:

I love Music from Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Lana del Rey, Taylor Swift, Guns Nā€™ Roses, Sara Bareilles, Bob Dylan, Elton John, The National, Turin Brakes, Hans Zimmer, The Killers, The Verve, Queen and Muse. From most of their songs, I really like those epic rock operas on the one hand and intimate, emotional ballads with voice and piano at the forefront, best. Recommend some bands that I might not know yet and generate a list of 25 songs with some of their songs that fit the previously described music style.

Edit: and this is the response, absolutely on point:

Sure, I'd be happy to help! Based on your music preferences, 
here are some bands you might enjoy:

1. Arcade Fire
2. The War on Drugs
3. Tame Impala
4. Alt-J
5. The Decemberists
6. Fleet Foxes
7. The Shins
8. Vampire Weekend
9. Grizzly Bear
10. The Antlers
11. Explosions in the Sky
12. Mogwai
13. Sigur Ros
14. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
15. This Will Destroy You
16. Hammock
17. Low
18. The Cinematic Orchestra
19. Max Richter
20. Olafur Arnalds
21. Nils Frahm
22. Jonsi
23. James Blake
24. Bon Iver
25. Sufjan Stevens

Here are some songs by these bands that fit your preferred music style:

1. Arcade Fire - "Wake Up"
2. The War on Drugs - "Red Eyes"
3. Tame Impala - "Let It Happen"
4. Alt-J - "Breezeblocks"
5. The Decemberists - "The Mariner's Revenge Song"
6. Fleet Foxes - "Helplessness Blues"
7. The Shins - "New Slang"
8. Vampire Weekend - "Hannah Hunt"
9. Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks"
10. The Antlers - "Kettering"
11. Explosions in the Sky - "Your Hand in Mine"
12. Mogwai - "Take Me Somewhere Nice"
13. Sigur Ros - "Hoppipolla"
14. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Mladic"
15. This Will Destroy You - "Threads"
16. Hammock - "Cold Front"
17. Low - "Words"
18. The Cinematic Orchestra - "To Build a Home"
19. Max Richter - "On the Nature of Daylight"
20. Olafur Arnalds - "Near Light"
21. Nils Frahm - "Says"
22. Jonsi - "Go Do"
23. James Blake - "Limit to Your Love"
24. Bon Iver - "Holocene"
25. Sufjan Stevens - "Chicago"

I guess the lesson is that you can be very verbose with what you tell the AI. You can also take it one step at a time and land at a playlist later. Hereā€™s my first experiment in that area from April (it updated the date today when I shared the link to the convo). Of the bands I know, it was uncanny which songs GPT assumed I would like best, with a 60 or so percent hit rate.

9 Likes

Another little anomaly that even with the settings at freezing and save the interface seems incapable of recognising Katrina & The Waves walking on Sunshine, or Joan Jett and the Blackhearts I Love Rock ā€˜N Roll. Always coming up with these 2 suggestions

.sjb

I canā€™t seem to get a version for MacOS, only iPad and iPhone. (Not much of an issue as I have all these devices, but I generally run Roon off of an M1 Macbook Pro.)

Iā€™m located in the U.S., VPN through Miami. Any notion of how I can get hold of the MacOS version?

There is none yet it seems. Youā€™ll need to run the version for iOS, which should be compatible with your M1 MacBook.

@DrCWO in the YouTube video from Munich you and Klaus are demoing Apple Watch functionality. Is that app still being released?

Ah, yes, thanks @SMT

Although Iā€™ve been a Mac user for years, sometimes I forget that the M1 can run iOS apps. It is now downloaded and functional. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

As far as I know it is. As @Klaus_Engel it quite busy at the moment with his move we have to wait until he kicks inā€¦

1 Like

rooAIDJWatch is available in the Watch AppStore. On your watch, open AppStore and search for rooAIDJWatch.

6 Likes

NICE! Thanks Klaus!

I was able to download the iOS version on my M1 Mac, but it confused me by throwing up an error dialog saying it canā€™t find a rooExtend extension box on the network. Turns out I had to click on the link in the Roon appā€™s Settings ā†’ Extensions ā†’ rooExtend. Thatā€™s what the directions say to do, but I had already done this once to make my iPhone work. Didnā€™t think Iā€™d have to do it again, but I did. Maybe the error message could be amended to refer to the necessary steps in the Roon app?

Please see my second post in this thread how to connect the app to rooExtend for the first time :blush:

1 Like

Oops. :slight_smile: Thanks.