rooAIDJ - Chat-based AI for Roon

This new extension is great! A month or so ago I decided to try ChatGPT - see what the fuss was all about. I only made one query: “I like Sonny Clark and Elmo Hope. What are some songs by other artists that I might enjoy?” - and I was shocked and pleased at the very interesting results. Not just a simple list of pieces by other pianists, but some really useful suggestions that I enjoyed listening to. Back then I had to manually search for the results in Roon, but now due to your hard work it’s easy to get the music going. Thanks!!

1 Like

I’ve come across a slight problem today with classical playlist – that only one or two tracks from a 10 or 20 track list are getting processed into the playlist – screenshots explain better.

.sjb

I must be missing something simple, but I can’t seem to get rooAIDJ up and running on either my MacBook Pro M1 or my iPhone.

On both devices, I’ve downloaded rooAIDJ from the App Store, and started rooAIDJ. On Roon, when I go to Settings → Extensions, it says no extensions are found. On rooAIDJ, I get the screen shown below. This happened yesterday, and I dutifully waited for “the overnight update”, yet the problem is still here this morning. Searching for rooExtend, I couldn’t find anything.

Any ideas?

Roon screen shows:

Have you got the rooextend software installed on a raspberry pi?

It doesn’t look as if Roon is seeing it.

RooAIDJ needs rooextend to work.

.sjb

Welp, that’s probably the “simple thing” I’ve been missing. No, I have no raspberry pi anywhere, and rooExtend is nowhere in my system. What does one need to run it?

My core is Roon Nucleus+, control is via MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad. That’s the extent of my compute power.

[edit: I’ve seen that rooExtend is included with rooAIDJ, but I don’t see it anywhere.]

@RobH

You need to either:

1. Purchase a rooExtend SBC and buy the license for rooAIDJ —> rooExtend® EXTENSION BOX FÜR ROON – rooextend

OR “DIY” if you are ok with tinkering:

1. Buy a Raspberry Pi and rooAIDJ license for rooExtend —> https://rooextend.com/index_en.html

@DrCWO extensions have greatly improved my experience with roon.

3 Likes

I’ve not used any of the Roo Extensions before, could someone just confirm what’s the correct software version of rooExtend to be using to get rooAIDJ working please?

Version 3.2.0 is the version you need for rooAIDJ.

1 Like

The rooExtend home page/downloads seems points to a file that contains v3.1.4 as does the SellCodes page.

Where is v3.2.0 located please?

3.14 updates automatically to 3.2.0 overnight or you can force it to check and update by navigating to the IP address on your browser, and clicking on “Look for software updates”. Wait a few minutes and after a reboot you should see the rooAIDJ extension show up.

2 Likes

@Henry_Svendblad Got it, thanks, all up and running :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Henry_Svendblad,
I just like to add the „official“ public links:

https://rooExtend.com for the rooExtend-Box and
http://diy.rooExtend.com for the Raspberry approach.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

This is not using GPT-4 yet which is what many have said was a bit of a step change in generative AI

Not saying none of these issues won’t be in GPT-4 - that has well known hallucinations too

See below:

1 Like

Hadn’t copped that, (perhaps) explains the erroneous results I’m getting with respect to UK singles charts which seem all over the place with perhaps half the tracks from different months and sometimes even years.

At the moment it is an interesting toy, but I really don’t know how much it will become part of my listening routine. My instinct at the moment is that as the days go by I will use less and less and it won’t have the sort of impact on my listening that my favourite Roon extension - Random Album - does.

However, it is a nice app well implemented with a few bugs to iron out and as the chat, GPT gets better, it may well find a more permanent place in my listening regimen

.sjb

1 Like

Maybe give it another go when rooAIDJ switches to the newer GPT-4. That’s what I’ll be doing too.

Maybe by the end of the year if costs allow as @DrCWO mentioned

3 Likes

Hopefully that would bring an improvement as the app is unfortunately not yet working as intended:

In this instance one hits the fast play button or the playlist button to get the selected songs into Roon. The AI engine doesn’t do this as I presume it’s Klaus’s coding that joins the dots between AI and the Roon API.

Clicking play now gives the following and your Roon queue will be populated.

I’m not sure what if falling down at this stage so that we get some cover versions and karaoke versions

.sjb

1 Like

Yep me bringing up GPT-4 (if it comes one day) is only to (hopefully, potentially) improve the suggested tracks/albums.

I’ve been using GPT-4 to look at quality of suggestions, since it came free to ‘new Bing’ (Microsoft being a huge investor in OpenAI).

It’s ok lol

Thanks, I must have been sleepy and seduced to answer the question of which ones to play. It’s working now.

I would like to have the possibility of a lifetime purchase and enter my own GPT-4 key. Hope this will show up in the future.