rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Thanks I knew it was a waiting game, but I am sure it will all work out in the end, somebody had to be the guinea pig with the Pi zero W 2. I just didn’t think I would mess up so much.

1 Like

Yes that’s very true.
Always better when it’s not you though

Already implemented in v2.1.0 beta and under test with the Beta testers. Hopefully I can release it in one week.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

I got my zero 2 W yesterday and will dig into it on Monday. This device will be included in v2.1.0
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Please reflash the SD-Card with the v2.1.0 beta 3 (you got the link in PM) and reboot with the USB license stick attached. rooDial should be visible now.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thank you DrCWO, its working perfectly now. The license worked, the roodial setting showed up and it is still working as a roon end point, I am a very happy customer and even with what went wrong, my fault knowing that the zero 2 w was not supported yet, but you really came through. Thanks

3 Likes

Hello DrCWO.
I got my Surface dial and the Raspberry Pi zero w yesterday and configured it and I am amazed by this product and its use. I have connected it to my Roon Ready SimAudio Moon 390 and have Roon Rock running on my Intel NUC. The great thing is I can now control any item connected to the Moon 390 - including the Apple TV that is connected to. the Moon 390.

How do you back up the license to a USB? do you install the USB in the Pi Zero?

Thanks and excellent work

Personally I keep the Lic in a Note (MacOS) or just a TXT file is fine too…copy and paste when you need it but its also maintained in the sellcodes account details too

If you connect a usb adapter you can save it on a USB memory stick.

Plus the license code will still be listed under your account @ sellcodes.

Thank you DrCWO. I have another issue. I leave my Roon Rock switched on all the time. The PPI Zero is also left switched on . Today, I was unable to wake up the Surface Dial to connect to the Roon Software. The extensions page showed all in order and the surface dial as sleeping. How do you wake it up? I tried to remove the batteries and re connect by Bluetooth but no joy.
Any suggestions please

Thanks

Try this:

• Get the IP number of your Raspberry from the settings dialog of the License Manager
  • Open your browser and enter http:// followed by the IP you got.
  • Click the button “RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS”

This resets all settings, the Lincenses keep installed. You have to reconnect to you WiFi after that procedure and now retry the Pairing with the Dial. If it works: strange enough. Maybe week batteries. But there is also a chance the Dial got broken. Some cusomers observed that and got a replacement from their vendor.

Some good news…while I am waiting to get my hands on a 3rd M$$ dial I tried the most recent installer on the newly released Raspberry Pi Zero W V2 and seems to have booted up fine and installed no issues

@DrCWO just a datapoint for you if you haven’t got your P0WV2 yet. And tested with roon-bridge too with the smallest DAC I have…sweeeeeeet

Update needed and done from 806 to 814

Grab 2021-11-12 at  14.35.15

Smallest portable Roon Endpoint I can make right now…with a roodial controller to boot.

Thanks DrCWO. I reset and now its back on line. I trust I will now have uninterrupted service. Will let you know if it keeps dropping

I got mine and it works great with rooExtend v2.1.0. Will publish it soon :slight_smile:

I only just upgraded mine to last current a few days ago

I think I have a problem with the V2 its seems to be already on a factory reset even with RooDial selected but option to add a lic. maybe you can PM me the latest beta and Ill try flashing that. RoonBridge works fine

This looks completely crazy for me. There is no IP number???
I found an issue with pairing in rooDial in the Beta so please wait some more hours.
I will publish the final v2.1.0 during this weekend, if you are lucky even today.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

I have a normal zero w v1.3 coming Monday so I’ll probably just use that and perhaps save this V2 for a different project.

New Release of rooExtend v2.1.0 is out!
See my announcement here:
rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

1 Like