rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Thanks for the quick response… No I didn’t! And I read most of this thread before even beginning the instal so there are no excuses!! :joy:

But I’ve put the card back in the old Pi and all is well (after numerous reboots and pairings). Now I have taken a backup via the USB stick instructions, but the old Pi isn’t getting hot anymore - maybe it was just the business of the install?

What I did find several times is the press button worked (pause etc) but the rotation didn’t… took lots of reboots before that worked again?

Right after pairing sometimes you get this issue. But don‘t boot because of this. Taking out batteries and reinserting them should fix this immediately :+1:t2:
Best keep the Pi always on as it looks for updates at night.

Best DrCWO

Ok , thank you… it makes such a huge difference now I don’t have a preamp to be able to control the Lumin volume and playback from an actual physical device - and its cool!!

Mine seems to have attached itself to a favourite placemat, so I’ve left it stuck and treat them as a unit!

Maybe we should start a “Show Us Yer RooDIAL” group! :blush:

1 Like

Maybe show us your volume controller as I bet there are a lot of different options out there (I have two RooNuimo devices)

2 Likes

I left the Mac, that used to function as the Roon Core for my system powered off all night and the RooExtend, RooDial didn’t need to be re-paired this morning. Maybe a clue!
I’ll keep that Mac powered off all day today to see if the re-pairing issue still doesn’t rear it’s ugly head again.

Not a bad idea at all, I will initiate one if I‘m back from traveling mid of April :+1:

Lumin streamer is great. Friend of mine also got one and demoing him my NCx500 amplifier he ordered a Hypex Nilai500DIY kit to get nearly the same performance as with NCX500.

Which amp are you using?

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Crazy, does Roon run in a VM at the MAC? My experience is that a Roon Core should run as a server and be always on. Also rooExtend is made for always on.

Is there a second Roon server active in your network? Also Roon servers running and not being licensed may cause this behavior. Please make sure only ONE Roon Core is running.

Best DrCWO

Well it’s a bit of a story :blush: I was using a Line Magnetic tube amp and for the last three years or so thinking tubes might be the way to go when I upgrade. Instead my tube amp went pop (well more like sizzle, pop, crackle!) so its in the repair shop.

Whilst I was waiting I bought a tiny £100 Fosi V3 Class D amp, based on the TI TPA3255, to keep me going and as a bit of fun. Well I was astonished at the detail retrieval, and the sound signature, not flat or clinical as I had heard Class D Amps described, just very powerful and in control.

Being an audiophile I was of course within a couple of weeks seeking slightly more upmarket Class D kits to play with economically and came across the ICEPower 125asx2 from SoundImports. Didn’t want anything too expensive just to try but we don’t have the range of suppliers to choose from in the UK like they do in the US - ever since that stupid Brexit it seems the EU doesn’t like us anymore and finding someone to ship here is a nightmare - SoundImports make a point of marketing to us so they were an obvious choice for a kit.

I realise the ICEPower boards at this level are pretty much old technology now, but for under £400 I can safely say my Line Magnetic (over £2k now!) will be up for sale when it comes back! So I’m looking forward to enhancements (maybe an input buffer as I was having impedance issues driving direct from my DAC - but a couple of 10dB in line attenuators seem to have sorted that?!) and maybe a NC project later on… eventually getting to whatever is Bruno’s latest design maybe! :blush:

If anyone is undecided about Class D reading this, I can only say give it a try - I am literally astonished at the level of information I am hearing, the control is amazing, these single driver full range speakers have never sounded so good! :grin:

1 Like

Sorry to jump in, but just wondering if you have uninstalled all the bits of Roon other than the remote from the Mac? I had some issues (not with RooDial) when I switched from Mac as a server to my NUC implementation. The Mac software used to come with all parts of Roon didn’t it, player, remote and core. I removed all trace of Roon from my MacBook and installed just the remote software… I think, was a long time ago! :blush:

1 Like

I demoed my NCx500 to two of my audiophile friends in Nuernberg. One of them was @Klaus_Engel :blush:

After that they immediately took off their Musicfidelity amps and bought this Apollon Amp. Much better than the elder Class-D amps and a steal :+1:

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Stop it DrCWO you are spending my money!!! :rofl:

Oooh that does look interesting, two mono boards for balanced I presume… in this wonderful hobby there is always something new to play with!!

1 Like

So sorry :money_mouth_face:

Okay, it is apparent I handled switching my Roon Core (from the Mac) to Roon Server (on Linux) incorrectly. Thank you for helping me understand this.

It doesn’t appear that there is a Roon Remote only app for OSX. So if I want to use this Mac as an interface for controlling the Roon Server (on Linux), I have to use the available Roon app for OSX which comes bundled with Roon Server. I had switched the Roon License (from the Mac) to the Linux Roon Server, but I am not aware of any way to remove the Mac’s Roon Server instance altogether and not have it show up on the network.

So, yes, I do have 2 instances on Roon Server on the network (when the Mac is online) but only one licensed instance.

Can you please provide the steps necessary (or point me somewhere with the steps) for disabling the Roon Server portion of the Roon application on OSX so it’s instance of the server doesn’t show up on the network?

Thank you again for helping me troubleshoot and resolve this issue!
-B

Hello Tim! It appears you are correct, it seems having the OSX Roon app running on the Mac is causing problems with RooExtend. I am not aware of a way to disable Roon Server from Roon OSX application. Roon Remote as a stand alone application isn’t available for OSX …or is it? Please point me to where/how to have only a Roon Remote instance running on OSX. Thank you!

Hi Brandt - it was a long time ago but I’m pretty sure this worked for me - Uninstalling Roon Core from OSX [Answered] - Roon for the Mac bundles everything into the install, but if you remove the folder mentioned here it will load next time as just a player/remote and go look for your new server as the core.

The database folder only gets created when you initially chose to run everything on the Mac, like I did originally, deleting it and then rebooting did the trick for me. Hope this helps - Tim

PS. If that doesn’t work try this How to uninstall Roon completely..DB or something appears broken - #4 by Sound_Hounds_Sound_H - just get rid of the lot and reinstall from scratch - then when prompted point the new installation at the new server and it won’t use the core functionality on the Mac.

1 Like

Hi Tim, Thank you. I now understand there is a convoluted way to turn off the server function on Roon. My love/hate relationship with Roon continues. Seems like a natural thing to add in the Settings Menu. Anyway, your trick seemed to work. Will report back if further issues. Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you for getting in here :+1:
I‘m not a MAC owner so I can‘t help here any further :cold_sweat:

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO,

I currently have roodial installed in a raspberry pi 3 b wired via ethernet. I originally had it via wireless and got it to work but after a bit the license manager and roodial would disappear. Even with hardwired it was disappearing for a time now seems to be stable. What does it is mean when the green light it solid? I also have a problem with the dial waking from sleep. For about a day i couldn’t get it to wakeup. Yesterday and today it has been working just fine. But I hadn’t done anything to wake it differently.

Edit - this evening the extensions disappeared. rooextend is showing as an option for wifi networks

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Ben

If ethernet is connected the option to connect to WiFi will not show up. Maybe your Ethernet Cable is bad or got disconnected. As I’m traveling I can’t check for PI3 LEDs at the moment :smiling_face:
The PI 4 has a red and a green LED. Normally rooExtend switches the red LED off and the green is blinking. Blinking means no connection to Roon, short flashing means rooExtend is connected to Roon.Steady gren LED means at PI4 an update is in progress so don’t shut it down during this time.
Maybe with the Pi3 the colors differ.

Best DrCWO

The generic LED meaning for a 3B…

1 Like