rooExtend-Box: Plug-And-Play for Roon Extensions

Hi Thomas,
The site is quite new. The price offered is the annual license. If younare in the checkout dialog you select on top of the form which license you like to buy. The price changes accordingly.

Sorry for the trouble
Best DrCwO

Thank you - I already had the Nuimo Hub but was not satisfied with the bluetooth connection so I ordered the Extend-Box.
I received the box today and it‘s very well build and really like it.
But it seems for me that the box does not start correctly. The sys light is red, no other lights on. I don‘t see anything under the roon settings…
I power it on with my ipadPro charger, the only one I got with 3A…

Edit: After taking the box from power supply, putting SD-card out and in again everything works fine.

Very strange. Seems something happened during shipping. Thank you for the information. I will keep an eye on it and now know which advice I can give to users with the same issue.
Best DrCWO

Hi, I’m interested in the rooExtend Box. Assuming I already have a roon core server, does it put it self in the audio path ? Or just provide control commands to the core server ?

Thx
Roy

Hi Roy,
first the rooExtend-Box plugs into the Settings/Extensions page of Roon.

For playback (if you connect a USB dac for example) it puts itself in the audio path. You only have to enable it in Roon Settings/Audio. Same if you use rooUPnP for elder devices not being Roon Ready.

For Turntable, CD or iPhone audio input you have to configure a custom radio station in your “My Live Radio” section.

You can find a manual where everything is explained in detail on the rooExtend-Box Support Page. Currently only in German but I work on the English version.

If you have further questions please feel free to ask.
Best DrCWO

Thanks for prompt reply.
I current have already a Roon Server (NUC) based, and a streamer (Rose Hifi). I wanted to use the rooextend box only for control (e.g. Apple watch) without connecting a dac to it. Question if in this case the rooextend will be in the audio path. I’m not sure I can understand that from the web site and I don’t know German…

Roy

Using rooExtend for control only, rooExtend will not be in the audio path. It only controls Roon. This means there will be no change at all regarding the playback path.
If you for example control volume via the watch rooWatch send command to Roon and Roon controls volume via DSP or device volume as it did before.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Hi @DrCWO,

Does the rooExtend-Box come with all extension licences pre-installed, or are those still required to be purchased separately? Secondly, is rooNuimo and rooDial able to be run concurrently with the rooExtend-Box, or are they still mutually exclusive (as indicated in another forum). For further clarity, can I use a Microsoft Surface Dial AND a Senic Nuimo to control Roon via one rooExtend-Box?

How about if I go the DIY route, is it possible to have them both work concurrently on one pi4, perhaps if I use 2 bluetooth dongles? Or is the only solution to use 2 pi’s to get everything working.

Thank you for your time !!

Hi @Faheem_Damji and welcome to the Roon Community.

The rooExtend-Box comes with a preinstalled free license package for a 60 days test period. During this time all Roon Extensions offered can be used for free.
After this period you must get a license for the Roon Extension you like to use or the offered license bundle that includes a 25% discount.

The MS Surface Dial and the Nuimo are mutual exclusive also in the rooExtend-Box. If you like to use both you need either two rooExtend-Boxes or two Raspberry PIs if you are able and willing to DIY.

This mutual exclusiveness has a technical reason as the Bluetooth stack I use for rooExtend doesn’t support two volume controllers at the same time. Maybe this will change during next year as I plan to rework this but not in near future.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Hi there,
did i understood correctly: i can use Roon to control Burmester 150 streamer with this box?
Does it affect sound quality?
How much is lifelong licence for RooUPnP?

Best regards
JM

Burmeser 150 supports UPnP so it probably will work. Please contact Burmester support if the device supports playback of

• FLAC files (with file length in the FLAC header) and even more important
  • FLAC streams (no file length in the FLAC header!)

If the answer is YES to both questions it probably will work.
Here you find a list of already tested devices from which I know the status.

Sound quality is not affected as Roon sends FLAC in the best possible format to rooUPnP. Inside rooUPnP you can select up to what quality this is transferred to your Burmester 150.
If you select 192kHz and FLAC 24Bit you will be fine.

The unlimited license for rooUPnP is USD 35 plus VAT.

Best DrCWO

I got raspberry from local pc store and did it according to your instructions to try if it works (no answer from Burre support)?
It gets connected “rooUpnP streaming from Roon” says player but no sound coming out from Burmester 150, no matter what sample & format i try.
(it is rooExtend_v3.0.6 PI to Raspberry PI 4 model B right?)

Many thanks anyway.

This is right but I expect response from Burmester will last some time…

Please mail some screenshots of:

• Device setup, especially interested in the advanced settings
  • Signal Path
  • Settings/Audio for this device

Best DrCWO

time won´t run forward, it is “stucked”.

What I see look OK.
please also send me the Screenshot of Roon Settings/Extensions and the settings of rooUPnP.

Did the Burmester play until this point in the track and got stuck there?

Sometimes times goes forward but usually it won´t move: some settings maybe goes 15sec and stops. Never got any sound coming.

Please try with the MP3 setting for 44100Hz. This should work any UPnP player as this is the format of Internet Radio stations. If this works try with FLAC 44100 and slowly work your way up from 44100 to 192000.
If you have no luck with that than the Burmester is not able to handle FLAC streams.

Best DrCWO

Tryied all, no luck unfortunately. It is shame beceause it is really good sounding machine and so awfull to use after using roon some time. Own app looks from 2000 and it is.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Burmester replyeid:
“Yes, the 150 supports the specified audio formats”.

I got it working with jriver media center, so i have no idea why it won´t work with rooUpnP.