rooExtend-Box: Plug-And-Play for Roon Extensions

You can use rooPlay and rooAIDJ together with rooNuimo, absolutely fine with the Pi4 :+1:

I also do and run ADI-2/4 for Phono (RIAA in digital) and at the same time as 4-channel DAC all with a rooExtend-Box (Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC | Page 36 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum).
But the ADC E1DA Cosmos is an excellent choice too :smiley:

Please keep in mind that this is the thread for the rooExtend-Box.
For all questions not related to the rooExtend-Box please use this thred:
rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Best DrCWO

Now I have a self-powered USB-Hub - it’s a RSHTECH Aluminium USB Hub Aktiv 3.0 mit 24W Netzteil
As soon as I connect a CDROM-Drive via USB the Dial is not working anymore - in Roon Extensions it keeps on “Sleeping” no matter what I do…
Disconnecting CDROM-Drive brings no change - I have to power off and on the RooExtend® Extension Box to get it work again.
What’s the problem?

• You should first connect ALL devices to the Hub and the Hub to the rooExtend Box. This means in your case the Antenna AND the CD-Rom drive.

• Next power the Hub.

• Next power on the rooExtend-Box as it needs to find the plugged devices and wait it has booted.

• Now open Settings/Extensions in Roon and open the Settings of the License Manager. At the end of this dialog you should see something like this:
    Please check the release (should be v3.2.0) and see if your CD drive got discovered.

• Now look for rooDial and see if the statusline responds (P) if you press the Dial. If not take out batteries, reinsert them after some seconds and retry). For sure it had to be paired before.

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO Since I was not able to find any support email address, I am asking you question here.

I have my desktop which is also a roon core and has HQPlayer as well. My dac, Merging NADAC is directly connected through RJ45 lan cable to the desktop.

Do I have to purchase your RooExtend to use the capabilities where i would be able to play/stream Spotify and YouTube through Roon & HQPlayer to my DAC?

Or is it possible to cater to my use case using any of your products (especially without having to buy your rooExtend hardware)?

Regards,
Saurabh

Hi @Saurabh_Ashtamkar,
you need rooExtend and the Roon Extension rooPlay to stream from iPhone via Roon to HQ-Player. You have two options here:

The main entry point for general questions is here. At this place you also find links to the separate support threads for each of my Roon Extensions.

The thread here is for owners of the rooExtend-Box.

Best DrCWO

Hi, will the Rooextend work plugged in to an ethernet switch, which the Roon core/streamer in also plugged into?

My streamer is Merging NADAC+Player (Roon server built-in). MERGING+PLAYER | PRODUCT

Thanks

This is exactly how it works.
If you only have one Ethernet cable in your listening room you connect this to the WAN connection rooExtend-Box (instead of the Streamer/Server) and connect the streamer to the LAN connection of the rooExtend-Box. In this case the rooExtend-Box acts like a Ethernet hub.

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO, thanks for the advice.

I have an 8-port ethernet switch/hub to provide connections to multiple devices including the streamer.

Can i just plug the rooExtend into the ethernet switch/hub via WAN port only? And not connect the streamer to the LAN of the rooExtend?

For sure you can connect it via the WAN port only :+1:
the Hub functionality is an addon only if needed.

Best DrCWO

Thanks DrCWO.

I only wanted the rooExtend box to use with Microsoft Surface dial. How much is the licence cost for the rooDial extension and is it an in-app purchase?

Hi @Allan_H,
you can buy the license here: PF-extension_rooDial – rooextend

You have to check the two boxes and get a button with the price for the lifelong license that leads to the checkout dialog.

In the checkout dialog you can also select to buy the “Per Year” license if you like.

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO
Thanks for the info!

1 Like

My good news: I just installed rooextend to use rooplay. It worked a great enhanement to roon! I can use the roon DSP for vinyl now.

My bad news: after I restarted roon told me that I need a licence for rooplay
image.
In the extension setting dialogue he asks for a licence. I tought that I don’t need a licence during the first 60 days?!

What to do? Thanks for help.

Hi @Volker_Rothenpieler,
Please reboot the rooExtend Box. If the issue persits please open the settings of the rooExtend License Manager and post the screenshot. It should look something like this:

Best DrCWO

Dear DrCWO,

thanks for quick reply. Stefan from German support contacted me yesterday afternoon and also in the evening. Great support, thanks a lot! Have an old firmware version installed, will install a new firmware tomorrow and let you know afterwards.

Thanks. Volker

If you leave the rooExtend-box powered over night you should be at v3.2.0.
Good luck DrCWO

I am about to have the rooExtend box hopefully this week, I ordered it on June 4th but haven’t received it yet, my question is, is there an available extension to control the volume of my Rotel preamp (RC 1590 MKII)?

Thanks,
Raoul

Great, hope you will enjoy it.

I took a quick look in Google and found something in Github that may be right for your needs. GitHub - bsc101/roon-extension-rotel: Control your Rotel amp from within Roon

The rooExtend-Box also supports the free Application Manager from @Jan_Koudijs. His free software offers a simple way to use of a lot of other free additional Roon Extensions.

Please PM him and ask if the Aplication Manager supports this Roon Extension for ARMv8 that is implemented in the rooExtend-Box.

If it is supported please get back to me and I will instruct you on how to enable the Application Manager in the rooExtend-Box. It is a hidden feature therefore also nothing about it in the Manual :upside_down_face:

Best DrCwO

1 Like

Hi Raoul,
I also have a Rotel RC-1590 MKII.
I was not able to activate it in RooExtend on a RPI (so not rooExtend-Box). The extension I use, roon-extension-rotel, was not ARMv8-compatible at that moment.
I asked @Boris_Schaedler if he could update his roon-extension-rotel to make it work with Jan’s extension manager v1.x in November 2022. I don’t know if he got the time to look at this update and if he succeeded.
In the meanwhile, I am using his roon-extension-rotel on a separate RPI, and is works perfectly. I use it daily, and it is really perfect in combination with rooExtend volume-knob.
To check roon-extension-rotel, just go to (Roon Extension: Rotel Volume/Source Control ).
Good luck with it, Frank.

2 Likes

Dear DrCWO,

It works now flawless.

I am so happy. A dream came true for me. Why that because of this tiny box?

In my setting I definitely need room correction for my speakers. In the last years I tried a lot, combining passive elements with expensive active correction units, but the results were never satisfying. After all I tried the roon parametric equalizer and achieved a very good results.

So far I never thought that it could be possible to apply roon DSP for listening to vinyl and CD. Then your tiny box came around.

Small box, small investment, large impact! Thank you very much!