rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

As I recommended earlier in this thread you should setup always one system at a time. So you always can access it as rooExted. If all are prepared you can power them all.

But I admit, your proposal is nice. I will put it on my list.

Best DrCWO

Might not work so well if you have to run around trurning them off if you ask someone for logs

Harry changes the host name on the Ropieee pretty easily so its should be doable.

I’l put it on my list :grinning:

1 Like

Hi - trial user. Can you tell me what the default login and password are? I’d like to set static IP, etc.

You should ask me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am - I meant that I’m the trial user.

Manufacturer of the streamer: Yamaha
Type of the streamer: RX-A810
Max samplerate: 96000 (which is what the manual states it can handle with flac)
UPnP audio format: FLAC up to 24Bit
HTML length setting: Default
Issues you found: None so far
Your Comments: Works as advertised. Solves the issue with the RX-A810 amp, which is that the native Yamaha app only supports local music for these older amps, not streaming services like the musiccast newer amps. Worth the money.

Dear @Morne_Lategan,
I thank you for giving me information regadring your device. I updated the list of tested devices accordingly. This will help others searching a solution for their beloved UPnP device.
Best DrCWO

rooExtend v2.2.1 is out now :+1:

I found out that there was some room for fixes in v2.2.0. This is what I did:

• I fixed an issue regarding BT USB sticks. A user found out, that they were no more used in the v2.2.0 even if they were plugged in. Now they are active again and will improve the range.

• Also the long-range Bluetooth 5.0 USB Stick from ZEXMTE is now supported (see
    https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B08LVH5BCP). One of the users reports a usable distance up to 20m between the antenna and the Nuimo :slight_smile:

• There are some improvements in the volume control of rooNuimo and roo6D that now support all device control Roon Extensions offered in the Application Manager.

• Standby was renamed to Standby/Resume. This means this is a toggle now that can wake up devices that are in standby (if supported by the device).

• rooUPnP now works on the old Raspberry Pi Mod B

• Some improvements of rooWatch regarding Siri playback of genres. Now you can say “Hey Siri, play some Jazz music”. @Klaus_Engel will suppyl more details regarding this in the rooWatch thread soon.

• Added a chapter for License Revoking in the Quick Installation Guide.

Best DrCWO

5 Likes

Have Roon Core Servernsporter i5, works fine serving audio thru my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and speakers, but wanted to sit at chair and adjust volume without going to Ron app n Andoroid phone.
Bought Nuimo Control, and with nary a Raspberry Pi to be found, boughty a Raspberry 400 keyboard.

Connect the Raspberry 400 keyboard via HDMI to a small monitor, add Ethernet cable to network switch, add mouse, power up Raspberry 400 keyboard, add password, timezone good,… and I have no clue what to do next. Look in Add/Remove Software and can’t find rooExtend. But didn’t really think so because I probably have to reformat and install a different OS. Or do I? Don’t know.

Where is an FAQ / step-by-step to get (I think) rooExtend on microSD? I haven’t found a video by that shows this.I can pop microSD out, place it in adapter, connect to laptop, and then where is an image file to flash/add to the microSD?

I would expect that I’d be able to download in the image file to add to the microSD card, insert into Raspberry 490, boot Raspberry 400 with it installed and then I am good to go, but I don’t care anything that details this. I am not a Raspberry Pi guy.

I see 189 threads in root extend the easy start with root extensions. Is it buried somewhere in there?

Thank you!

~Z

Zombeezy the document is here and it explains exactly how to write out the memory stick and set everything up (it was only one post up in this case).
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k?usp=sharing

You do not use this within Raspberry Pi OS, it is its own Linux distribution that you write to a memory card and boot up to replace the current OS.

You are probably better off buying a second Pi 4 for this, though it should run on a Pi400 without issue, and you can always keep two memory cards for when you want to boot up Raspberry Pi OS as well.

2 Likes

Good morning @Zombeezy,
I guess you have not yet discovered my rooExtend page here https://rooExtend.com :grin:

There you will find a link to all the Roon Extensions, included in the rooExtend package. On each product page hosted on Sellcodes you find links to explanation videos and also a link to the download area. Also you find links to the corresponding support thread.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask all your questions and I will provide help as good as I can.
Best DrCWO

Well, awesome! Thank you for your quick answers. I laughed when you nicely pointed out that I had just missed the Quick Install link up a post.

I love the enthusiasm, I love the detail, but with so much, it is not easy to know where to start.

I got a lot further along and while stuck, I think I may be able to muddle thru it. You can probably see it going off the path from my notes:

1. Download the rooExtend Quick Install guide so that it is available when your laptop is disconnected from the network
    NOTE: This probably wasn’t necessary as you might not need to disconnect laptop from wifi.

2. Download and install balenaEtcher from here: balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives
    NOTE: Windows may flag as a suspicious file and not install. If you see a Windows popup informing you of the suspicious behavior, respond that it is alright and check to see if it shows up as installed. If it does not, run the setup file again.
    NOTE: If the balenaEtcher program installs correctly, it will run and be available on the screen.

3. Prepare the microSD card.
    NOTE: In my case, I needed to power off the Raspberry 400, remove the microSDHC, place it into the larger SD / microSDHC adapter and insert it into my laptop.
    NOTE: The RooExtend zip file does not need to be unzipped when using balenaEtcher to flash image file.

4. In balenaEtcher, chose “Select image” and navigate to where the SD-Card image is, and select it.
    NOTE: In my case “rooExtend_v2.2.x.zip” in my Windows download file directory, and select it.

5. At the prompt in the balenaEtcher program to “Select drive”, navigate to where the SD adapter/microSDHC card is, and select it.
    NOTE: In my case, and knowing I only have a C drive with my Windows OS on the laptop, it showed as drive D + E together (SD adapter as D, microSDHC as E) as the location to use.

6. At the prompt to Flash drive, chose it and wait until you see “Flash Complete!”

7. Remove the SD / microSDHC from the laptop.
    NOTE: In my case, it did not need ejecting (software disconnect, not a physical hardware eject from laptop) from Windows as it was done automatically and did not show as a drive letter.

8. Remove microSD card from SD housing, insert into Raspberry pi device and boot up. Successful install leads to a reboot and in a couple of minutes a prompt for rooExtend login.
    NOTE: Whee! Light is blinking. Success… but what do I do at rooextend login prompt on Raspberry pi 400 now?

9. Disconnect laptop from network wifi and select rooextend wifi.
    NOTE: In this case, I was able to connect my laptop to rooextend wifi, but in my laptop browser, I can’t navigate to http://rooExtend.local.
    NOTE: Think this is my mistake, Can’t find Roon if disconnected, so must mean on Raspberry Pi, select rooextend wifi?
    NOTE: Need to get past Raspberry pi’s rooextend login prompt
    NOTE: Maybe I need to buy rooExtend License Manager now, add to Roon Extensions, then still to figure out rooextend login prompt and on which device do I connect to the WiFi created by Raspberry Pi with name “rooExtend” and which device to use to open Browser and go to http://rooExtend.local.

Thanks guys!

~Z

@Zombeezy I like your detailed step by step instruction :+1:

How to proceed.
you have been able to connect your laptop to the rooExtend WiFi, great!

If it is connected open your browser and type http://10.0.0.5 as shown in the video. You will see the rooExtend settings page with your router’s WiFi and you will be able to connect to it if you enter the correct WiFi password.

After this open Roon, go to Settings–>Extensions and wait for the rooExtend License Manager to pop up (may take some minutes at the first time). Enable the License Manager Roon Extension, open its settings and you can enter your license keys to make the corresponding Roon Extension work.

There is no need at all to enter something at the Linux login prompt.

Best DrCWO

Hi @DrCWO, there was some mention of integrating the Roon Extension Manager into RooExtend some months ago as well as the ability to add on a display and was just wondering if these are still on the roadmap?

Hi @Nicholas_Thio, It still is :+1:
here my roadmap for the upcoming releases:

Currently I work on rooPlay that will be published in v2.3.0 with the following features:

• CD-Drive Support:
    Connect a CD-Drive (normal CD drives and also Apple Superdrive will be supported!) to playback CDs via Roon. Insert CD and it will start playing. Stop will eject the CD. Using one of our rooDial, rooNuimo or roo6D controls you can skip forward and backward through the CD.
  • AirPlay Support
    Stream from an iPhone via AirPlay. to Roon and use all the Roon DSP facilities.
  • Spotify Support
    I am not sure if I will find time to include it in v2.3.0.
  • Display Support
    With a TV-display at the Raspberry Pi 4 HDMI-Port you get the nice Roon Display output like on a TV connected with Chromecast.
  • Improved save settings function
    Not only the License Keys will be saved on a USB stick but the complete settings of your licensed Roon Extensions PLUS the WiFi credentials (crypted). This eases updating to a new SD-Card image. Insert the USB-Stick, Boot the Pi with the new image and wait until the License Manager tells you to remove the USB-Stick. It will also work if the Pi is connected via WiFi!

Next upcoming will be v3.0.0 with these features:

• Application Manager integration
  • OTA update (Automatic update Over The Air)
  • Spotify Support if not finished in v2.3.0

I will release v2.3.0 probably till end of April and v3.0.0 in Summer.

Best DrCWO

12 Likes

Can’t wait for this, any details yet on how this process will work?

These sound amazing as well.

1 Like

It will work completely in the background. Fetch the update in the middle of the night, install it, reboot the Pi and when you next use rooExtend it is up and running.

But I guess you need some patiece and wait till summer :cold_sweat:

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Wow, roadmap looks great. Looking forward to the updates!

Hi, i have just ordered the Pie and now need your chips (lol) i went to the site for your licence thinking it was $25 as that button i clicked on your site says $25 on it, my PayPal bill is for Au$76 i know theres an exchange rate difference but thats a heck of a lot more, any explanation please?

My spacemouse wireless is on its way as well. The pi is 4gb and model 4B so i am hoping all is well. I may need hely as I am nearly 70 and its my first time doing this sort of thing, I am still using my Quad ESL57’s for gods sake LOL.

Kind regards, Nick