rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Hi @Nick_Ryan,
I am not sure you saw that there are two options in the checkout dialog for roo6D.

A one year license for USD25 Per Year and a Life long for USD55. The VAT will be added.
I see in Sellcodes you ordered the Life long license for USD55. My guess is adding the exchange rate and VAT Au$76 seems not so wrong.

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO also an issue when you see the rooextend wireless zone is showing up you have to do a process of elimination as to which unit is fallen out of wifi connection…I lost power and at least 2 units decided to forget their wifi connection

Will test this week, thanks :+1:

Today about 10:00 a.m. a construction site in our village destroyed my cable TV and with it my internet access.

Out of sheer boredom I built a Raspberry Pi image that works as a router for the iPhone :+1:

Disconnect the cable router from the hub, plug the iPhone via USB in the Pi, plug in Ethernet (the Pi router has the same IP as my cable router 192.168.0.1) and it’s working again. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

If anyone is interested let me know, I’m ready to distribute the image if my cable modem is up again. (Too much traffic for LTE :wink:)

Best DrCWO

5 Likes

very cool… please post a link … handy for a travel router

Maybe only partly :wink:

I use Pi-Hole in my home network for DNS and DHCP. This means this router ONLY routes.
It grabs the tethered network from an iPhone via USB, makes NAT and offers an access point at 192.168.0.1. This means you have to add at least DHCP to get a real travel router.

Still interested?
Best DrCWO

I’m typically using fixed Ip for most things with a 192.169.0.1 gateway so works for me :nerd_face:

Maybe this even better suited as my tinkering approach for my personal needs. It has DHCP enabled and also allows connections via WiFi.

Roon Bridge on rooExtend - cheap DAC with optical S/PDIF (Toslink) output:

A nice cheap solution is the external USB audio interface Behringer U-Control UCA222 USB Audio Interface 2-in/2-out

I use its optical output for driving an internal DAC of an audio receiver.

1 Like

@DrCWO Could we get a reboot button option and a display of the units IP address on the web page please. And maybe a factory reset button option in the web interface too.

3 Likes

So what exactly do I need to run this rooExtend?

I want a roon bridge that I can connect to a DAC (bedroom headphone setup) and how far is the rooHead extension?

A raspberry pi4 should be all?

Marc yes a Raspberry Pi 4 is all you need.
Are you going to connect to your DAC over USB?

Then it will work over WiFi as long as your signal is good enough.
I have two of them running Nuimo remotes with Roon and one doubles as a Roon Bridge device for playing music to another Dac/Amp/

1 Like

Factory reset is already preset on the setup page. It deletes all but the license keys. The other things I’l put on my request list but seams to be easy to implement :+1:

rooHead is still waiting. I currently work on rooPlay :+1:

Here you find the plans for near future. If this was done I will start with rooHead…

One other thing would be the version numbers of what’s installed :grimacing:

1 Like

This is neat. Roowatch is very useful and I plan to buy it. Is a full iOS Roon app able to be made? I don’t use the official Roon iOS app as it’s app privacy is not very good and it doesn’t conform to iOS usability and design.

Currently not in our focus, sorry :cry:

Yeah I would connect the DAC with USB. I have my MacBook M1 currently running as core and it’s connected to my bedroom setup.

In the living room there is a Cambridge CXN V2 as roon endpoint.

But I would like to have a roon endpoint in the bedroom.
And a “M2 Mac mini” in the future as roon core.

Just wondering if there is a new raspberry pi around the corner. There seems to be a hardware upday every 2 years?

I would not worry about it to be honest as the Pi 4 as plenty of headroom for what you are looking to do.
RooExtend would work perfectly for your needs

2 Likes

@DrCWO : It would be great, if I could use rooExtend, to get the sound of my TV into roon. Thanks