rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

In a first step rooPlay will support RME ADI-2 Pro as an input device. This can for example be used to play back analog signals from an LP via Roon to any Roon streamer. This solution also supports the input via SPDIF/Toslink or AES and will be included in v2.3.0.

In the long run I plan to also offer a general support for all USB ADCs but the RME ADI-2 is currently the solution for me to listen to my LPs. The prototype now nicely runs in my home :+1:

Best DrCWO

1 Like

What’s the difference between roopieee and rooExtend?

@DrCWO : if I use the spdif in of the RME ADI-2 Pro to send teh sound of my TV to roon, will that be lip synchronized?

All this here rooExtend - Home is not supported by roopieee :blush:
roopieee supports the Extension Manager which will also be supported by rooExtend at v3.0.0

How do you stream from the RME into Roon? Internet radio stream or something else? In which resolution and bitdepth?

If been using an Apogee Duett 2 on an Imac for this purpose. I used Butt to stream the signal into a Roon entrypoint gateway as an internet radio stream. But Butt is limited to 44khz and 16 bit and sounds pretty bad.
So I now switched to a Hifiberry DAC+ ADC pro on a Pi 3b configured as a Roon entry point, This sounds pretty good at 192khz/24bit.
That said I’m still interested to be able to use the Duett 2 for this purpose as well.

Hi @Eric_Peters,
rooPlay is a new Roon Extension that will be included in the rooExtend SD-card-image v2.3.0.

Beside serving some test signals plus live CD and Airplay playback, rooPlay supports RME ADI-2 pro and is able to grab its inputs. The samplerate can be selected in the rooPlay settings dialog and also the device to stream to. It delivers 24Bit Flac that is caught by Roon via a radio station. If you have a USB-Stick plugged in the Pi, the input also will be recorded on it.

Here a first view

If you have have input on the SPDIF/AES inputs you will also see these inputs in the dialog.
The URL for the radio station can have multiple parameters so you can easily set up a radio station for the analog input and others for the digital inputs.

Playback of CD and Airplay is automatic and uses a default radio station you have to define. Currently I use the Apple Super drive. Inserting a CD automatically starts playback.

As far as I know there are no ALSA drivers for Apogee Duett. So I fear I will not be able to support it. Have you read about the measurements of the HiFiBerry DAC here? They seem to have quite a low SINAD (sure budget device :wink:). I wonder that you are happy with it :thinking:

I am not sure when v2.3.0 can be released. In May I start a Mountainbike trip from Hannover to Rome and I think I won’t be able to release ist before. Support for other audio interfaces will be done when I am back…

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

I do not USE the Hifiberry DAC, I don’t like it. I use Mamboberry LS with a linear power supply which is much better but now have switched everything to Allo DIgiOne with IFI low noise power supply into an RME ADI 2 DAC.

But I do use the Hifiberry ADC, mainly because it is the only ADC that I could find. I have both the “normal” and the Pro version, and the pro version sounds much better. But also for this device I use an IFI powersupply. With a generic switching power supply it sounds pretty bad.

To be able to occasionally stream any of my Analog sources from my listening room to the living room it suits the purpose. But an A/B comparison between Analog direct and via the HifiBerry Roon route, there is quite a difference. In my mind the Icecast service is the weakest link, but that’s just speculating.

So “Happy” is a relative thing.

Hannover to Rome is quite a distance on the MTB, happy riding!

1 Like

That sounds like a real challenge. I wish you happy cycling :+1: :biking_man:

1 Like

Ok, i’ve been really intrigued by rooExtend and rooWatch, having just acquired an Apple watch.

But I run rooPieeeXL on my raspPi.

So after reading much of this, it appears I’ll be holding off until 3.0.0?

Why not go from Raspberry Pi directly via USB to the RME ADI 2 DAC :thinking:

I don’t use IceCast. I programmed the streaming server by my own and it is completely transparent. gets the 32Bit Data from the ADC, dithers it to 24bit, encodes it in Flac and streams it out. So no worries :+1:

Regarding the Airplay functionality. Will one be allowed to select Airplay for playback and also provide volume control from current endpoints through Airplay as one currently does with the ROON remote. If so it would end my long search of being able to interface ROON and Airplay with my various Meridian Ip controlled systems.

Just activated Airplay on my Linn Streamer for testing. The volume control as well as the control of Roon works flawlessly as usual.

airplay1

1 Like

Just purchased rooWatch and started the setup process. Using latest M1 MacBook and a fresh 32GB microSD I downloaded galenaEtcher and the RooExtend v2.2.2.img. Well, I have tried and failed 10 times to get baleen to flash without failing. I put in the password for my MacBook when requested, but always get error EPERM: operation not permitted, open ‘/dev/rdisk6’

Try a different sd card also check that balena etcher has access to full disk in security prefs

got it! thanks

1 Like

Got RooWatch and it’s a top notch way to control Roon while I’m doing my favorite thing- lounging and listening. Just bought the lifetime license. Saw your controller for SpaceMouse and I’m intrigued. Here’s the question- would I have to run a second RPi to add this to Roon? Or can my single instance RooExtend manage both RooWatch and SpaceMouse?

Iirc roowatch can run along side any of the dial/mouse/Nuimo options

So to be clear, I would just buy a SpaceMouse or Surface and be able to get it going without any change to the SD card I’m currently using with RooWatch?

Have you read the installation docs with the rooextend download?