rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Since 3.0.4 I’m caught in a endless reboot loop again. RooExtend extension appears momentarily in extensions, and you can just get the local webpage to load sometimes if you get the timing right, but I can’t get the log file. Will try hard power down and reboot, and if I can get logs I’ll send them in. Is there a URL format I can use to try to get to the log file page directly instead of loading the main page and then clicking on the view logs button?

Ok, hard reboot, with disconnected SpaceMouse dongle. Waited till was stable (saw RooExtend and 6d in extensions for a few minutes), then plugged dongle back in.

Logs only go back about 30 minutes and show a single successful boot after the hard reboot. Not sure what was going on but it seems stable now.

Reminder this is a Pi Zero 2 W.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that link. However, I’ve now had success with the same browser (Firefox) on a different laptop. Also I was successful with Safari on a Mac Mini. I used to think that computers were predictable, but that was decades ago … !

1 Like

Very strange. The hard link is: http://[your ip]log.html

Encountering a steady reboot is a sign that something goes wrong during detection of DAC/ADC. We saw that first with USB DACs having no ADC section, next with the BT Audio dongles. Both issues are part of rooPlay that is quite new. Please forgive me :pray:

But both are fixed with v3.0.4 so I wonder what happened here…

Things seem to improve in 2023 :smiley: :+1:

Raspberry Pi inventory improving, could reach pre-pandemic levels in 2023 | Ars Technica
You might actually be able to buy Raspberry Pi hardware again in 2023 - Liliputing
In 2023 You Can Order Your Raspberry Pi And Meet It Too - PC Perspective

Let’s hope bad time will be gone soon…

Best DrCWO

I saw that. I’ve had RPiLocator on auto-refresh and notifications on their twitter feed. I keep buying form factors I don’t want (just got a 3 A+ and 4 B 4GB, first too much of a PITA with no Ethernet, 2nd too much and too expensive). All I want is a couple more Zero 2 W’s. But we’ll get there!

1 Like

:exclamation::exclamation: Update v3.0.5 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

I have a small X-mas present for you :evergreen_tree: :smiley: :evergreen_tree:

Right now I uploaded v3.0.5 that will appear on your rooExtend after next night. There are two things it delivers:

• rooExtend now supports HoloAudio Red US, EU :+1:
    This is quite a nice streamer! I got one for testing and was aked to adapt rooExtend. Just burn the v3.0.5 image of rooExtend and insert it in the SD-Card-Slot of the Red.

• The first preview of rooHead is out :+1:
    This preview is for free as it is not yet able to create the correction filters. But it already offers access to the headphone database! This means you can check if for your headphone an equalizer will be available in the pool of more than 4000 devices.

There are also some few fixes that are described in the Quick Installation Guide you also find in my download area. For all beginners that have not yet installed rooExtend a v3.0.5 image is also available there.

Best DrCWO

6 Likes

Nice Christmas present Dr :+1:t2:

1 Like

Merry Xmas & thank you!

Also, footnote: rooHead is the best name for a product I’ve heard recently. Love it.

1 Like

Quick question… should RooExtend install on a Pi 3 A+ (WiFi only, single USB A port, described by Raspberry Pi occasionally as a “Super Zero”)? I just got one, it’s not listed in the documentation, but I want to use it just as I use my Zero. Thanks!

I hope so. Saw this device for the first time. It has not very much RAM 512KB. You can try and let me know. I think rooPlay will not work and also HDMI display will get trouble.
Best DrCWO

Will it be possible to try rooHead in terms of sound difference? I have a pair of Focal Elear and im quite content with the sound quality, however always looking to improve. Thanks!

I tried with four models, Apple air pads, two Sennheiser models and a Stax. They all make a step forward with the correction.

At the moment the calculation of the filters is not yet completed. X-mas coming spending time with the family and in January my holiday. So I expect I will be able to ship rooHead till end of February.

I currently have no idea how it might be possible to offer a trial license for rooHead. Maybe I will calculate trial equalizers with a small “popp” each half second so you can hear if it improves the sound and is worth getting it licensed. Would this help as a trial?

Best DrCWO

1 Like

How is rooHead different from uploading the impulse respons from the database into the convolution engine in Roon itself?

It will provide two things:

• I will provide an equalizer set for numerous sample rates. The original equalizers only are available for 44.1 and 48kHz. I won’t do simple upsampling but deliver an extended frequency range in double precision FIRs up to half the sample rate.
  • Im will provide ready to run Roon compatible FIR filters in ZIP format. Download and run. No trouble to handle the necessary configuration files. Should be simple Plug & Play for every user.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

@Cudifying, you can test out the benefit of rooHead by finding your headphone AutoEq wav files and add to roon convolution filters for your DAC. This should help —> AutoEq/README.md at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub

The beauty of rooHead is that it does all of this for you, does it better (multiple frequencies, volume/gain adjustments, and more) and provides some nice tweaks to fit your listening preferences (based on what I see on the pre-release). I have several headphones so this user experience is a big improvement over finding the ZIP files on my desktop and importing into Roon each time.

@DrCWO PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY for rooHead- I can’t wait! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As you already know I will offer in rooHead two fields for individual tweaking of the default headphone equalizers. I like to let you know how the frequency responses for the headphone equalizers can be adapted to your personal taste.

There will be two parameters, Tilt and Bass Boost

It is important to know that the overall headphone equalization will not be damaged by these two settings. Not by the Tilt as it covers the whole frequency spectrum and also not by the Bass Boost as it is applied in sync with the Harman target.

Tilt means the whole frequency response can be adjusted up and down. So increasing tilt you get a brighter sound, decreasing it you get a darker sound. This is what the Tilt setting will do for the different settings:

The idea of Tilt was first implemented by Quad 33/303 and was called “Slope”. There it only affected frequencies above 5kHz not the whole frequency range as this is difficult to realize with analog filters.

Bass Boost means you can increase and decrease the Bass according to your personal taste. This means if after equalizing you recognize too much Bass you can decrease it. This happens without damaging the equalization curve of the headphone as it is exactly the slope also used in the Harman Target.

These two responses can be combined in practice. In the next slide you see a +2dB Bass Boost combined with a -1dB Tilt (blue line).

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

Some more infos from the lab :+1:
Have my RME-ADI-2 Pro FS powering my old Sennheiser HD580 Precision Headphone. So old that I had to replace the foam pads :wink:

Got the correction curve and experimented a bit with Tilt and Bas Boost. Without both it was nearly perfect. At the end added a Tilt of +1dB and that’s it. The old headphone sounds great transparent and - this is astonishing - with a much better room impression with activated Equalization.

For the first three of you sending me (PM please) their headphone type I am willing to create an equalizer. This is a preview only as I have to make some adjustments regarding volume so you can turn it on and off to compare.

Please also send your e-mail with PM so I can return the FIR equalizer (6MB).

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

What you see here is the equalizer curve for the Sennheiser 580HD Precision for 96kHz.
As the equalizers in the database are hard limited at 22.5kHz I extended the frequency range with the value at the end of range. As you can see there is output till 48kHz for the 96kHz equalizers. if that matters acoustically I can’t say but probably better as a steep filter at the end of 22kHz :+1:

Best DrCWO

was deleted

Hi guys, the show is over, sent three FIR ZIP files for Roon Convolution DSP.
I wonder what will be the comments :wink:

Best DrCWO