rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

I will do exactly that, thank you.

1 Like

Do you have any plan to update the software for those that are on the lesser RPi such as ZeroW?

I stopped further development for the „old“ non 64Bit platforms.

If someone reports a severe issues with one of my Roon Extensions I am still able to do a backport. But this is quite an effort for me :tired_face:

Hopefully I will make it in June to fix the „delay issue“ for rooDial in v3.x.x so no one with a newer Pi has to stay on v2.x.x.

Hope that helps
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Does rooExtend support Roon extensions other than DrCWO’s?

Yes it does :+1:
In the rooExtend SD-Card image the application manager of @Jan_Koudijs is integrated.

This means you can run all the application manager supports :smile:

Best DrCWO

I can recommend this lid to anyone with a Flirc case. My rooextend Box now looks very nice now.

3 Likes

:exclamation::exclamation:Visit me at the HighEnd Audio show in Munich :exclamation::exclamation:

Hi Rooners,
now I am here at the HighEnd Audio show in Munich presenting the rooExtend-Box.

I would be happy to meet you here personally. You will find me in Hall 3 Booth M03.

@Klaus_Engel and I have been working on a new, revolutionary new Roon Extension for the last few weeks. It’s called rooAIDJ and it’s an Artificial Intelligence Disk Jockey for Roon.

It’s a completely new way of discovering music. No more browsing through directories with tracks and artists, no focus. Just chat with rooAIDJ in natural language!

We use ChatGPT as a backend and offer apps for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV to use rooAIDJ. Input is via keyboard or natural language.

Here you find a video with @Klaus_Engel and me explaining rooAIDJ on the HighEnd SHow..

Best
DrCWO and @Klaus_Engel

12 Likes

This is great. Having used ChatGPT before to get music recommendations, I will definitely be using this extension to queue up all sorts of music new and old. Well done.

2 Likes

Congratulations, @Klaus_Engel and @DrCWO! A very clever application of ChatGPT. Nice to see you both on video - that was a really great demo. I hope it’s a successful show for you!

For fun, I have a few feature suggestions for you to consider:

• Allow me to select an existing playlist from Roon using a simple picker in your app. Seed ChatGPT with that list with a prompt such as “I like these songs. Create a similar playlist.”

• Rather than just parse the last response and submit that to Roon, allow me to accumulate a longer playlist from multiple interactions. In other words, let me build a playlist in your app and, when I’m satisfied, send it to Roon. Support removing individual tracks, re-ordering, etc.

• Explore whether there is an opportunity to support playlist sharing. I’ve had the notion for a while that posts in this forum could be used to share playlists between users. What I mean is that the post, itself, would contain the data. You’ve probably seen other ecosystems that do this sort of thing with Github where a Github post contains YAML. If you made it possible to export a playlist from your app into YAML, the user could post it here. Your app could consume these posts by having the user post a deep link to the specific post. You just curl and parse. So you get playlist posting and sharing without anyone having to create a new backend.

Maybe something interesting in there for you :slight_smile:

Congrats again on the release!

4 Likes

Looks great. Which languages does rooAIDJ speak ?

This looks awesome! Any chance of an Android app? Or some kind of web interface? Us non-Apple users feel left out!

1 Like

I can confirm German and English. I am not able to speak other languages to test :wink:

1 Like

Looks very interesting!
What will be the price for that app/extension?

Well, @Klaus_Engel is an iOS guy. But I admitt, we should have a web interface too. Will put it on my list :blush:

1 Like

As we get charged by OpenAI on a monthly base by generated characters we only can offer a monthly subscription. Will be $2.50 per month and cross fingers it will cover the OpenAI Costs.

2 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to it. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

I like to share a photo with you of someone who fundamentally changed the way many people consume music today :smiley:

Prof. Karl-Heinz Brandenburg the main inventor of MP3
visited @Klaus_Engel and me at our booth on the HighEnd 2023 (left to right).

Prof. Brandenburg and me we both wrote our PhD thesis in Erlangen at about the same time. Our Professor was Prof. Seitzer, the founder of the Fraunhofer IIS in Erlangen Tennenlohe.

In 2019 Prof. Brandenburg founded the Brandenburg-LABS, a company that is intensively and successfully dedicated to spatial hearing with headphones.

It was a pleasure to see him again after such a long time, and I am particularly pleased that he is still working in innovative areas to improve audio.

Best DrCWO

11 Likes

I definitely want this! Would you kindly send me the link to buy this? I hope this one’s got heatsink…

If you like to get the rooExtend-Box goto https://rooExtend.com.
If you like to start DIYing with the Raspeberry Pi goto http://diy.rooExtend.com.

In Both cases you get the same software. The only difference is that the rooExtend box comes with a free license for the first 60 days.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

Hi
I’m a new rooExtend user and I have only been through a bit of the features offered. Nevertheless I already think this is a wonderful piece of hardware.

I have some questions

1. I have add a LCD monitor to the connected raspberry pi for showing ‘Now playing screen’. When I shut down roon the display still keeps show last playing. I want to prevent burn in.

Are the Amazon basics hub HU9002v1EBL the way to go to automatically shut down display or are there smarter solutions? I have tried GPIO5 (Effect of power switch) but that’s maybe something different?
It measures 3.3v whatever I do.

1. I can’t find out how to see which headphones that are supported by rooHead. Do I need to activate something in Roon DSP settings?

Btw I have two rooExtend licence managers in extensions. One ver. 3.1.4 and one 3.1.7
Is that normal?