rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Since long I planned to improve the display output but currently it is just a browser that reflects the Roon artwork. At the moment I can’t help here but turning off the monitor.

With this hub you can turn off the 5V power of the USB signals. Please check the chapter about rooControl in the rooExtend-Box manual to see how you have to set it up to make it work.

Yes, you can even if you don’t have a license for it :+1:

• First open the settings of the rooExtend License Manager and enable the display for unlicensed Roon Extensions.
  • After closing the Settings you can find the rooHead Roon Extension.
  • Open its settings and see if your headphone is included.

This looks like you are running rooExtend on two different machines. Maybe a rooExtend-Box and a Raspberry Pi at the same time. You can enter a name for each of them in the License Managers to distinguish the displayed Roon Extensions.

Best DrCWO

Just saw Darko announce rooAIDJ integrating chatGPT and roon playlists. Any news on this?

Hi - I am new to rooExtend. I bought the combo license to rooDial, roo6D, rooWatch, rooUPnP, and rooPlay. I got a single license code from SellCodes that looks like its the right format. But when I go into license manager and enter it for any of those products its does not save and does not activate the product. I am running the latest License Manager 3.1.7.

In the log file, I get something like this with weird productid’s. I have modified my actually key below but the rest is the same.

Any ideas?

“productId”: “wasKWAmY”,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “licenseKey”: “xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-XXXXXXXXXXX”,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “machineId”: “1000000047415dec”,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “lastCheck”: “2023-05-28T21:40:16.637Z”,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “retryCounter”: 0,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “licensed”: false,
May 28 15:40:17 rooExtend rooExtend[1061]: “text”: “The License key for given Product could not be found”

Congrats @DrCWO on getting some well-deserved publicity in Munich. Check out the latest Darko episode -

2 Likes

At Position 33:20 he tells about rooAIDJ that impressed him most on the HighEnd Show :smiley:

I appreciate it a lot :+1:

3 Likes

The combo license is only possible with the rooExtend-Box. There you find a “Bundle” entry where the License Key can be entered.
If you go the DIY-Way the bundle will not be supported on the Raspberry Pi.

If you bought it accidently please PM me for refunding.

Best DrCWO

Will be released tomorrow. Today is a German holiday and I am travelling…

2 Likes

Great :+1:. Any plans to release this for other players? For example, DLNA players?

No I am on the Roon only path. But if you use a DLNA streamer with rooUPnP and Roon you can use rooAIDJ too :+1:

Yes of course!

I’ll definitely be a customer if rooAIDJ can supply the following to Roon.

“What were the top 20 UK official singles from this week in 1979”

Bing (when typed) returns this.

• “Bright Eyes” by Art Garfunkel
  • “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor
  • “Tragedy” by Bee Gees
  • “Heart of Glass” by Blondie
  • “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)” by The Jacksons
  • “Sunday Girl” by Blondie
  • “Ring My Bell” by Anita Ward
  • “We Are Family” by Sister Sledge
  • “Hooray! Hooray! It’s a Holi-Holiday” by Boney M.
  • “Just When I Needed You Most” by Randy VanWarmer

.sjb

This is what chatGPT answered (free version):

“What were the top 20 UK official singles from this week in 1979”

ChatGPT

I apologize, but as an AI language model, I don’t have real-time data or the ability to browse the internet. My training only goes up until September 2021, so I don’t have access to current or historical information beyond that point.

To find the top 20 UK official singles from a specific week in 1979, I recommend referring to official music charts archives, music magazines, or online databases that specialize in historical music data. These sources can provide you with accurate and up-to-date information about the music charts from that time period.

If I modify the question I get this:

What were the top 20 UK official singles from week 22 in 1979

ChatGPT

I apologize for the confusion earlier. Unfortunately, as an AI language model, I don’t have direct access to real-time data or the ability to browse the internet. However, I can provide you with an example of the top 20 UK official singles from week 22 in 1979 based on historical data. Please note that this is an example and may not reflect the exact rankings for that specific week:

1. “Sunday Girl” - Blondie
  2. “Ring My Bell” - Anita Ward
  3. “We Are Family” - Sister Sledge
  4. “Does Your Mother Know” - ABBA
  5. “I Will Survive” - Gloria Gaynor
  6. “Up the Junction” - Squeeze
  7. “Hot Stuff” - Donna Summer
  8. “Night Owl” - Gerry Rafferty
  9. “The Logical Song” - Supertramp
  10. “Goodnight Tonight” - Wings
  11. “Bright Eyes” - Art Garfunkel
  12. “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)” - The Jacksons
  13. “In the Navy” - Village People
  14. “Hooray! Hooray! It’s a Holi-Holiday” - Boney M.
  15. “Oliver’s Army” - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
  16. “Tragedy” - Bee Gees
  17. “Dance Away” - Roxy Music
  18. “One Way Ticket” - Eruption
  19. “Just When I Needed You Most” - Randy VanWarmer
  20. “Beat the Clock” - Sparks

Please note that the actual rankings for that week may differ, and it’s best to consult official music charts archives or trusted sources for accurate information.

It will be interesting to see how rooAIDJ does and how the integration with roon playlists works.

1 Like

Hi @DrCWO

With rooPlay and the rooExtend Box - can you connect a USB source straight to the rooExtend Box and this feed any USB source through Roon ?

And there will be automatic sample rate switching in rooExtend, to match the USB source sample rate ?

Let’s say I have an iPhone playing Apple Music Hi-Res for example. On iOS Apple Music output is bit perfect when using Apple’s USB adapter

It seems that Bings AI can handle these requests easily enough.

Look what happened in five short years!

1:

1. Hello - Lionel Richie
  2. Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) - Phil Collins
  3. The Reflex - Duran Duran
  4. Automatic - The Pointer Sisters
  5. The Longest Time - Billy Joel
  6. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!
  7. Robert De Niro’s Waiting… - Bananarama
  8. I Want to Break Free - Queen
  9. You Take Me Up - Thompson Twins
  10. It’s Raining Men - The Weather Girls

.sjb

In most cases it works :+1:
There is also a “safe” mode in the settings. Slower but save :wink:

Yes, you can directly connect a ADC and stream that to Roon. Technically rooExtend creates a FLAC Radio station up to 24/192 that got streamed to Roon.

Using an ADC you set the sample rate in the rooPlay. I don’t believe that Apple USB-adapter does the trick. A USB Class2 audio device (ADC) is expected!

iPhone and Apple adapter indeed outputs bit perfect to my RME ADI-2 FS DAC.

I can see correct sample rate showing on my RME.

It is well known that this is the only way to get Apple Music Hi-Res playing bit perfect (since Airplay is limited to 44.1kHz)

Preference is of course to avoid DAC → ADC → DAC

Hence why I ask about a USB source directly into roo Extend Box.

What is the UAC2 input of the roo Extend Box ? Type A ?

You might have been thinking of Apple DAC dongle - I am talking about lightning to USB 3 adapter and USB-C to USB-A for iPads:

If this works for you the only way to do it will be:

This will run lossless and Jitter is also no issue here as the DAC at the end of the pipeline is responsible for the clock and with the ADI-2 you have a great device :+1:

Best DrCWO

Edit:
If you get a RME ADI-2 Pro you can omit the Toslink input box and use the ADI instead. This even allows higher bitrates…

Problem with such a TOSlink to USB converter is it will not automatically switch sample rates right?

That is the crux of my question.

Feeding Apple Music Hi-Res bit perfectly into rooPlay… with auto sample rate switching, not manual

All you can do is set the sample rate of the Toslink output to 24/96 and also on the apple side relying on a good sample rate conversion inside the Apple device.

At the moment there is no option that the incoming stream sets the sample rate of the FLAC Radio Station inside rooPlay.

But why did you want to go that way? Why not use Qobuz that is directly integrated in Roon?