rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Hi - Yes, I went the DIY route but did not understand that you could not buy the bundle. What info do you need to refund? I will go ahead and purchase the separate licenses to get going. Thanks.

Why do I use Apple Music Hi-Res ? Because it is great and how I discover a lot of new music. I have Qobuz and Tidal.

On other threads you will see a lot of people looking for Apple Music to come to Roon - I guess they like it too.

At the moment I can feed bit perfectly into HQPlayer because its developer has done something special with the ADI-2 driver in Linux to allow automatic sample rate switching when using the ADI-2 for TOSlink to USB, feeding HQPlayer (type-B to type-A).

But if there would be a way to feed Apple Music into rooPlay, then people could apply ROon’s advanced DSP to APple Music…

It works great for me with HQPlayer anyway but I’m always looking to see who else out there can do such (feeding any source, properly, into Roon)

And my solution is not specific to Apple Music - anything that can come out out of the lightning port gets fed into HQPlayer. Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Tidal, Qobuz

For example when a new album comes out on a Friday and you need to wait 3 days for it to show in Roon, its nice I can play it in Qobuz app on iOS on the release day, bit perfectly into HQPLayer (or if rooPlay could work like this)

Are you talking of ADI-2 DAC or PRO? As far as I know ADI-2 DAC only has Toslink input…

This I can’t understand :thinking:
Did you say that you can play Qobuz items with your iPhone that cannot be played via Roon?

This is well known, to Roon users that look forward to ‘new music Fridays’ each week.

You need to wait 2 and sometimes 3 days for a new release on Tidal or Qobuz, to show in Roon.

In which case it can be nice to play straight from Tidal or Qobuz app.

I know a lot of people are happy waiting for new releases or just listen to old music but some are not.

2 Likes

ADI-2 DAC - yes I wrote TOSlink to USB.

Meaning I use the TOSlink input of ADI-2. The USB connection of ADI-2 connects to PC running HQPlayer Embedded (type B to type A USB connection).

So in this instance ADI-2 is acting as a TOSlink to USB converter to feed HQPlayer bit perfectly.

So I can’t use my ADI-2’s D to A when I use it like this. I have HQPlayer output to a different DAC obviously.

But the beauty is HQPlayer has worked some magic to auto switch sample rates to match ADI-2’s rate… This is not a normal / common thing

Below is a post from Roon’s CTO in 2018… its a well known thing for years.

For me I still observe 2 days and sometimes 3 days delay with big releases weekly.

Again not a problem for everyone obviously. But fortunately I have ways to feed direct from Tidal iOS app (or Qobuz) direct into HQPlayer, bit perfectly. And Apple Music Hi-res

1 Like

This is cool! I never new before that it can also be used as Toslink to USB converter. With the ADI-2 pro you can use this and DAC at the same time :+1:

I will put this automatic sample rate switch on my list for rooPlay.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Nice. While I’m sure you can do the same that HQPlayer has done, with ADI-2, the challenge is finding a cheaper solution !

The ADI-2 detects incoming sample rate which makes this possible.

The cheap TOSlink to USB converter you linked above wouldn’t.

So the challenge is finding a cheaper pro audio interface to do the same thing as the ADI-2.

So far we can’t find one :smile:

ADI-2 is expensive to buy for just TOSlink to USB conversion for most people, but for me I use it everyday so it is now an essential part of my system.

If you do find another interface that is cheaper do let us know !

Is rooAIDJ functional? I have rooExtend setup on my Raspberry Pi 4, I have the Apple app on my ipad. I cannot get anything to work. What is the licence attached to exactly? Can I just pay for a way to use rooExtend + rooAIDJ on my Raspberry Pi?

I bought a upnp licence and that doesn’t seem to enable anything to do with rooAIDJ.

Looking forward to trying this out.

I don’t wonder :wink:
rooAIDJ is part of rooExtend v3.2.0 that is not yet released for the DIY community. I will release it to day so tomorrow after the nightly update between 2 an 4Am it will be available in the License Manager.

I will announce its availability here :+1:

Best DrCWO

5 Likes

Ah, that’s good to know. Any chance I can transfer my upnp licence? :joy: I don’t need it

Sorry no as rooAIDJ will have a monthly fee as I get charged by OpenAI each month.

But you can offer it for sale :+1:t2:
Doing this don‘t forget to revoke it before.

Best DrCWO

:exclamation::exclamation: rooExtend v3.2.0 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

There are the news:

New Roon Extension rooAIDJ v1.0.0.
rooAIDI is an Artificial Intelligence Disk Jockey based on ChatGPT and allows you to chat or even talk to Roon. With rooAIDJ you easily discover new music by chatting! If you have found interesting tacks press the “Play” button and listen to them in Roon. More on that you will find here.

New features rooNuimo v1.3.1:

• Now four Radio stations and four playlists can be configured.
  • A long press gesture now can be configured.

General Changes:

• The IP number for the regular ping can be specified or the regular ping can be completely
    disabled (not recommended when using WiFi)

Fixes:

• HDMI display now also works if the Hostname was changed
  • Faster start if location service cannot be accessed.
  • Deep harmony now works with rooNuimo.

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

I’m dying inside with happiness, this is incredible, just amazing! Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Hello DR.CWO,

it is fantastic to see your work, again ahead of the industry!
Thank you from a user for those great features.
These features are great ideas. Amazing to be around when things like these get possible.

See you

1 Like

Thank you,
but all this is not solely my merit. @Klaus_Engel built all the beautiful apps for the Apple devices :+1: A heartfelt THANK YOU goes to HIM for that :smile:

1 Like

Is the RooExtend Extension Box compatible with a WiFi extender? For example plugging the Ethernet into the extender and the extender communicates with the router via WiFi? I do not have Ethernet in my listening room. The extender that I am considering is the TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Extender Internet Booster.

It should work if you have good WiFi coverage. If you have the chance try 5GHz instead of 2.4.

Often, especially if you use rooPlay for audio input and the built in Roon bridge for audio playback WiFi quality will not be good enough. Roon itself recommends to use wired ethernet for audio playback.

If you don‘t use audio streaming it should be fine.

Best DrCWO

Nice work on the latest version Doc.
So many options for RooNuimo now I don’t know what to select :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like