rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

If rooExtend v3.3.0 is on the SD card correctly and Ethernet is fine it must show up. Please watch the LEDs of you Pi4, what did you see?

I recommend re-flashing the SD card with BalenaEtcher and retry.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thanks, the LED was full red, nothing more. I’ll try reflashing with Balena.
Bernie

Full red on a fresh SD card mees it did not boot. SD-Card defect :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Ok, thank you for the swift and clear debugging :slight_smile:

1 Like

DrCWO,

I have one Pi Zero and it worked fine following your online directions. I ran into a jam when trying to upgrade from September 2023 version (2.3.2) to 3.x.x. My earlier screenshot is what I saw after attempting the upgrade. My Pi is wireless.

Here is a map of my current layout (if that helps).

David

Ah, now I got it :smiley:

Pi Zero has a ARMv6 chip and rooExtend v3.x.x needs ARMv8!
Sorry for the inconvenience but I thought my download area shows this :blush:

So upgrade to Zero W2 and you can run v3.3.1

Best DrCWO

I must have missed that step. I’ll do the upgrade and will circle back if needed.

Thanks!

David

1 Like

It works, thx DrCWO! Reflashed with BalenaEtcher.
Running v3.3.0 like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DrCWO Great work Sir !

Are you thinking to provide rooExtend also as OVA image for ESXi for example?
It will be a very good alternative for the people who are running ROON server virtualized (like me).
Or maybe to provide a script to install it on a regular Linux distro.

Thank you.
Best regards !

I think about offering a linux distribution with rooExtend and Roon Core for x86 PCs. As I‘m a one man company it‘s difficult for me to provide service for several platforms. Please get back to me in summer maybe I have an image for x86 until then.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer !
I am looking forward for this !

All the best !

Hi All - i have i have ARM v8 installed a pi 3 B. Once i powered it on it went over over 15 mins without a regular flashing green. I restarted it after awhile and was able to update wifi network and password. It seems to show randomly in roon extensions. It was there long enough that i was about to enter my roodial license in the license manager. However I’m not seeing roodial to pair it.

Well not sure what I did. But i left for a few hours and now everything works perfectly. This is so great. the dial feels nice and smooth.

What are best practices for using a second and third on separate zones? Office - Living Room, Bedroom for example.

1 Like

More Dials mean more Raspberry PIs. One Dial, one Pi one License is all that can be done.
Technically this is no issue as you have the chance to enter a name for each Dial in the License Manager for example “Living Room” “Bedroom” and so on. This makes them distinguishable in Roon Settings/Extensions.

Best DrCWO

Ok perfect. that’s what i thought.

One more question. I’m having a problem with it disappearing in the extensions. Both rooextend and roodial. Running latest roon software and roodial was downloaded today. I have my pi 3 b wired via ethernet. Right now roodial says sleeping but i’m not able wake it.

This is probably a WiFi issue. Roon don’t recommend to use WiFi and the Roon API I use to connect to Roon is also not immune against weak WiFi connections. In case Roon gets data from the PI that is corrupted it terminates the communication.

A lot of people successfully use WiFi with rooExtend but there is also a group of customers running into problems. Mostly this happens if you live in an area where a lot of WiFi and Bluetooth is in the air.

If you like you can take a look into the System log by opening the IP number of rooExtend with the browser and click the System log button at the end of the page. If you read something about communication terminated by core it is what I’m thinking of.

You also can try to reboot the Roon Core and after that power on the PI. Sometimes this helps in this situation.

Best DrCWO

Thank you. I did try wireless at first. Took a bit but worked. When I came back it had disappeared and would come back for a second or. So I went hardwired. Still having it disappear. What does a solid green light indicate? I also can’t get my dial to wake.License manager shows more than roodial.

Hello,

I’m also very interested to use rooupnp on a virtual machine within an x86 machine. This would allow me to save the environment from further future electronic waste :smiling_face:

Please re-post your question in the rooDial thread and I will answer there. Questions regarding rooDial are off topic here. Thanks you.
Best DrCWO

Think you got me wrong :blush:

I said I may probably offer an ISO image for x86 that can be booted. I don’t have the capacity to support VMs and all the issues that arise with virtual BT and network. If you are skilled enough to run it in a VM and handle all the obstacles by yourself you are welcome. But please don‘t expect any support for me in this direction.

Sorry if that sounds a bit rude :cold_sweat:
But I just don’t have the capacity to support that and I just want to make sure that nothing has been misunderstood here.

Best DrCWO