rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

That’s what I thought. If we have a bootable image suitable for x86 systems, we can try booting it in a virtual x86 Linux machine. I hope it will work.

I’m however afraid it may not solve my problem of trying to get my Olive One streamer work with Roon, as I tried getting it work with squeeze2upnp plugin with no success.

DrCWO,

I received the new board, installed it in the existing case, placed the existing (previously upgraded) SD card on to the board, followed this configuration, but yet doesn’t appear correct. Here is what I see from the Roon Extensions tab:

I also noticed that the LED on the MS dial continues to flash indicating that is has not paired to the Pi:

Perhaps I need to start the process from the top. Any suggestions before I do so?

David

Hi @David_Weinberg,
I wonder why I see v2.3.2 in the License Manager. It should read v3.3.x if your hardware is a PI3 or Pi4 or a Zero w2. All of them have ARMv8 architecture and can run v3.3.x. The v2.x.x is legacy and still there fore Zero W or PI2. So please get the latest image from my download area. It also offers automatic update.
Did you already buy any license? You have to enter the License Key in the License Manager. If you already bought and changed hardware you have to revoke it on the old hardware. After that it can be used with the new one.

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO, after updating to v3.3.x the stand-by and wake-up reaction of my nuimo seems to be different. If my nuimo goes to sleep when there’s no music playback for a while, it doesn’t seem to wake up on tapping on it. I need to open a roonremote, push play on the roonremote and only then the nuimo is activated. Is there a setting to change this (didn’t find it), as in the past I could just tap on it, it would wake up and then I could use it to resume what I was playing before or select a programmed radiostation. This last bit is is part of our morning routine and typically done by my better half, who’s now complaining…

Hi Bernard you can try enabling Caffeine mode.
I have mine set to toggle via a swipe up, that keeps the Nuimo awake and working great and is always available. It does reduce battery life though.

1 Like

Okay thx @Michael_Harris, I don’t seem to have any luck locating the Caffeine feature, can you help me pointing it out?

But @DrCWO did anything change going from v2.1.x to v3.3.x explaining this behaviour?

Moved to rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

This is how it should be and this happens suddenly after playback stops. :+1:t2:
During playback you can see the play symbol coming up each few seconds keeping nuimo alive. Approx. five seconds after the last appearance of the play symbol Nuimo goes asleep.

So my question is: Can you restart playback after fife or 10 seconds after music stops. Try to stop playback with the Nuimo and after 10 seconds press the Nuimo. Playback should continue.

Please let me know
Best DrCWO

Edit:
Please let‘s discuss further in the rooNuimo tread as it is off topic here.

Hi David,
May I kindly ask you to repost your question regarding rooDial in the rooDial thread and delete it here. After that I will immediately help. Please understand that this thead here is for general questions so rooDial stuff is off topic here.

Best DrCWo

Okay thx! I didn’t test this yet and I also didn’t find the caffeine mode yet. But I did suddenly recall having changed the “zone follows playback” mode from “No” to “Immediately” the day before updating from v2.1.x to v3.3.x.
I have put this back to “No” again yesterday evening and I could resume and swipe to our “morning radio station” this morning without a problem. So for me all is well again, it works as we were used to.

1 Like

I’m in process of buying a Raspberry Pi. Will Pi 5 works with rooExtend? I might as well future proof if I can.

Not yet tested an so not approved. Using PI5 it is at your own risk!
As I‘m traveling till mid of April I will not have the chance to get one before end of April and fix things it will work reliably.

This means at the moment I would recommend getting a PI4.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Hello all - just got back from a 5 day trip and my rooWatch no longer worked.

It said it was searching for my rooExtend at 192.168.1.65 and couldn’t find it/couldn’t connect.

So after verifying that rooExtend was at 192.168.1.65, I decided to just reinstall everything.

1. Deleted the two extensions in Roon Extensions.
  2. Reinstalled rooExtend on the raspberry pi 4 (fresh card)
  3. Verified on rooextend.local that my rooextend was running and still at 192.168.1.65
  4. Updated rooextend to v 3.3.1
  5. But roon extensions doesn’t show any extensions available – just says “No Extensions Discovered”

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Probably having your iPhone switched on and near by would help to establish the connection after that long time. Reinstalling is not necessary at all!

Please check the rooExtend-Box Manual in my Download area regarding the blinking status of the LED. This will point you the way. After a correct installation it will blink one second on and one off. After connection to Roon Core it will flash.

Best DrCWO

Hi. It’s a raspberry pi 4, and it’s slow-flashing green.

rooExtend.local shows that the software is running:
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 9.51.47 AM

But Roon doesn’t show any extensions available:

I cannot even get to the phone/watch step because Roon doesn’t have the extensions installed.

Thank you!

Slow flashing green means that rooExtend is up and running but cannot find your Roon Core. For me this seams to be a network issue.
Best DrCWO

Hi to all users of rooExtend.

In recently saw the Xenlabs Quick Keys controller mentioned in the Audioscience forum.

For me this looks like a nearly perfect controller for Roon. It has a volume knob and eight additional knobs Triggering other functions being displayed on an OLED. It can be recharged and best of all no bluetooth but a separate dongle. This will increase reliability compared to Bluetooth as I know from the SpaceMouse Wireless.
Also there is an additional button inside the wheel which I plan to use for Play/Stop. With the last button it will be possible to switch between different layers so maybe one layer for prev, next, shuffle repeat and the other for content like playlist or radio stations.

So if I‘m back home in April I will get such a controller and see what can be done.

There are also a lot of videos showing its cooperation with Windows.

Please let me know what you think of my idea using it for Roon. Also any ideas on how to use it are welcome and may influence my development.

Best DrCWO

Edit:
I now learned that the distance between controller and dingle is up to 5m trough a brick wall. Should be enough for this application :smiley:

5 Likes

I would look to get one. Count me in for testing.

As a rooADI user, I would like to be able to control other ADI Remote options. Source selection, B/T, balance, EQ on/off, Setup selection.

Speaking of source control, the current functionality in rooADI only allows for one source. Could you implement source controls as supported by roon? I have three sources all on different inputs. Currently this only supports 1 or auto.

Can’t verify from here but I thought this already worked to select the different inputs :disappointed:

Carl,

Correct, rooADI has source control “input selection” at the DAC RME level. Thank you for this!

I was suggesting using the source control option in Roon, to support source control at the device level. I have three digital sources connected to the RME: PC vis USB, Streamer1 via SPDIF, Streamer2 via COAX.

It would be ideal for rooADI to change input for each device when selected in Roon.