Room correction using your iPhone and HouseCurve

@Greg_Wilding thank you for bringing us this app.

Just wondering if this would benefit Sonos users over using Trueplay.

1 Like

from miniDSP UMIK-1’s product page

1 Like

Thank you so much - YMMD! :+1:t2:

Hello,

I released an update to HouseCurve over the weekend. It contains some feature requests that were popular with this group:

• Export filters for all rates at once. Choose “all” for the sample rate. Hehe, thanks for this suggestion, it sped up my own testing :laughing:
  • Filter impulse responses are now 500 ms long, with the number of samples depending the rate. This should significantly reduce processor usage with little difference in corrections (please reach out if you find otherwise).
  • Saved measurements can be exported as impulse responses. Go to Plot Setup → Saved Measurements and press Select. Choose the measurements you want and press export. You can then load the impulse into tools like REW, etc.

Thanks again for all your great feedback! Happy listening :slight_smile:

Greg

7 Likes

I noticed a small issue. Stimulus Type seems to revert to Sine Sweep after I close the app and then reopen it later. I want it to stay on External Sine Sweep.
Not a big problem to change it, it should stay at whatever the user last selected.
Thanks for the great app.

1 Like

Nice catch @Deano! Thanks for letting me know. I might get a fix out this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

After very promising results with just my iPhone I decided to try getting even better results by buying a miniDSP UMIK-1 microphone. It was worth the investment! Very pleased with the results, even more balanced sound and better, more defined bass without booms. One of the best tweaks I ever did for such little money! I’m not an expert in room correction and used just used default and automatic options in HouseCurve, only changed the frequency range from 25 Hz to 9600 Hz to better match my Avantgarde Uno horn speakers. See before and after measurements using the B&K curve in the screenshots. What do you think? What causes te ‘gap’ in the measurements at 30-40 Hz? Other suggestions?

Thanks for your great and easy to use app, @Greg_Wilding :ok_hand:t3:

Friendly regards,
Gerard

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your results, that plot looks pretty good!

HouseCurve blanks out portions of the measurement with low coherence. I think of it as signal-to-noise ratio at a given frequency. When it’s too low, the app hides what was measured.

Typically this is caused by noise, vibrations, system limitation or big room modes. You can disable/adjust the blanking threshold, see: Measurement Quality - HouseCurve.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a try and turn off my fridge during measurements :slight_smile:

I released a fix on Saturday (HouseCurve-4.1.1) thanks again for catching the issue!

2 Likes

Apologies if this has been asked before.

1. under equalization settings, what is an “acceptable” level of gain to apply?
  2. is having more filters always better?
  3. do you guys do correction for the whole FR, or just up to a certain level eg just the low end up to say 5k?

There is a setting for that, IIRC it defaults to up to 5K or so, but you can change it

1 Like

Hi @Roasty, you’ll find some answers (well… at least my opinion :slight_smile: ) here: Equalization - HouseCurve

The number of filters setting is for systems that have a limit. If you are using convolution, you can max it out. The algorithm may not use all filters though, it will give up when the gains are below minimum gain.

2 Likes

I have just purchased HouseCurve and did a quick try with lots of background noise while recording but even then the result was fabulous…much more and tighter bass, more clarity of vocals. I’m going to play around with the app and do some recordings under better conditions next week but I thought I would write to say what an amazing app. Many thanks

2 Likes

Hello, I suddenly have a strange dip on L in my totally symmetric room. Only change is adding some dampening foam into my speakers. I checked cable polarities. My limited knowledge tells me L is out of phase. Is that so? Or is it just a dip in Freq. Res? Is either possible due to added foam into the speakers?

Thank you. Cenk

It might be cable polarity, did you have to disconnect the woofer when adding dampening? Maybe internal cables are reversed. You’ll have to redo your room correction after dampening, but I doubt that would cause such a large phase change.

Maybe post to the Tinkering category. Might be some folks there that know about speaker tweaking.

Hi Greg. yes it was internal polarity mixup of cables. thank you

1 Like

For Sonos users, in particular those with Sonos Fives in a stereo pair.

I’ve been testing for a while with Trueplay and HouseCurve.

I found Trueplay to do an ok job but always seemed to miss any treble adjustments.

HouseCurve does a better job. Ran the sine wave several times and once convinced I was getting consistent results popped the readings into Roon PEQ DSP. The readings I got just didn’t seem right to me but I was pleasantly pleased to hear a good difference and similar in the low and midrange to Trueplay but did a way better job of the high end.

Just a note: Don’t forget to turn off Trueplay and return any bass/mid/treble adjustments in the Sonos app to default. I kept loudness on though.

My readings

2 Likes

Hello,
Anybody exported filters to CamillaDSP in Volumio? I read the help doc and tried to replicate the procedures but the filters don’t kick in. Both Conv and PEQ. With PEQ manual entry doesn’t work either. Filters load, but have no effect on the freq response I’m aiming for. Any tips? Workarounds?
Thank you

Hey @Cenk_Isil, I set up a room correction topic on the Volumio forum, try posting there. Balbuze, the author of FusionDSP (Volumio front end for Camilla) is active there. I also made an application note on room correction with Volumio that might help ya.