Roon 1.4 Feedback

Unfortunately, my Roon setup is packed away due to moving so I can’t see for myself yet. If this is true though, I will be pleased as this reconnecting time was an annoyance.

Nice update!

Is DSP for iOS on the roadmap? I get the feeling all processing is currently being done on the phone instead of on the core as is the case with other endpoints. Is this correct?

Thank you

EDIT-- Thanks for the replies. DSP works! You just need to disable “private zone” on the iOS device and then you can configure DSP for the zone from a computer.

I don’t believe they would one off iOS. DSPing would still be in the core.

My apologies Slim, I was going by the meaning from the English dictionary.

Potato, potato, let’s call the whole thing off.

Er, that doesn’t work either :joy:

@James_I I think you should put this under Feature Request

The DSP Engine is hard to fit into an iPhone sized screen, particularly the PEQ tool. So rather than attempt it, the DSP Engine doesn’t appear in the iPhone app. But all the DSP occurs on the Core, so you can devise a DSP setting for the iPhone Zone on any full-featured Control (disable Private Zone to see it) and the Core will send your iPhone Zone that processed signal. You just can’t edit it on your iPhone.

2 Likes

Now the Queue is non-destructive, just touch the Album “Play Now” button. One touch starts play and populates the future Queue.

2 Likes

Or “Shuffle” which will Add the entire album to the queue shuffled AND immediately start playing. Basically a Play Now Shuffled. :smiley:

I can play on my iPhone. Have you selected the Zone using the new Switch Zone feature? Start by touching the Zone icon on the bottom right of the iPhone Roon screen.

The IOS playback update would have been a nice surprise but iPeng 9 beat you across the finish line. Roon’s without question is much better integrated.

Danny can you explain if there was an SQ improvement and if so does it carry over to squeezelite endpoints. I had to configure my Schiit yggy gen5 usb as squeezlite rather than RAAT because they have buggy board.

Is this licensing issue with MQA something that will prevent Roon from having MQA unfold for the unforseeable future?

I don’t believe the Queue has been modified at all. The tracks you choose to skip are just grouped together and can easily be expanded in the Queue View / “Scroll up to see previously viewed items”. This behaviour is desirable as these grouped tracks can be removed and the Queue saved to a Playlist.

Totally agree Carl. The tracks are grouped because the User decided to skip them. Skipping tracks rightly puts them into a lesser category. Also, tracks in the past are greyed out to designate they have already been played. The new Queue functionality is great. Roonies please don’t respond to some negative feedback.
Great upgrade!

6 Likes

The thing that impressed me was that no one asked specifically for this, but the devs listened to everyone and then implemented something better that we didn’t think of.

10 Likes

Well said. Super elegant solution.

4 Likes

New radio --> fantastic
New GUI for volume, play modes --> fantastic
Bravo!
Also pleased to see that the French translation is now quite good thanks to the efforts of @Patrick_LP @volpone @rv_kova and many others I forget here (sorry). We will further improve it, but @mike it seems that despite the translation database being 100% populated there are still several fields in English on many screens, see example below : “composed by” “performed by” “18 tracks remaining” “clear upcoming”…

1 Like

What are Extensions John?

Extensions are third party programs using the Roon API to do interesting things. The authors and students hang out in the Tinkering section.

Specification of solutions rather than problems needing to be solved is a common problem in software development. At Roon, we strive for that better solution which is both innovative and solves more than a single narrow use case, to achieve a better user experience. This means that, most of the time, we need to figure out the actual underlying problem from all of the invaluable feedback that we receive before solving the problem(s) creatively.

23 Likes

Sorry…really dumb question as I don’t have an ios devivice (possibly yet)…does this update mean I can be away from home and access my music on an ios device?
Not sure what “ios playback” means!

WRT to different versions and Roon selecting the “best” who would you rank these for a single album ?

CD
CD remaster
CD deluxe
DSD
HD Tracks 192k
MQA
And
MP3

The only way to help Roon avoid the versions you don’t want to see on auto -play is or ban the albums. Do this by cycling through the favourite / love heart.