Roon 1.4 Feedback

What exactly are you saying? Although I think Tidal integration is one of the best things about Roon, nobody is forcing you to use it, or to subscribe to Tidal. If you don’t like Tidal, unsubscribe (or don’t subscribe) and remove it from your Roon config. Seems pretty simple to me.

6 Likes

Love the iOS playback. Just spent some time with my Dragonfly Red connected to my iPad, listening to Roon. Great job. Thanks very much.

Please excuse the vernacular, but the new queue is the dog’s bollocks :heart:

Now gimme album shuffle and scrolling consistency :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can iOS zone be grouped with RAAT zones?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can iOS zone be grouped with RAAT zones?

When going to the artist screen i am no longer seeing an option for Play Now/Play Artist. There is just a shuffle and Radio - if clicking on the down arrow. Im also not seeing any options for the artist screen in the Play Actions.

Am i missing something? Do we no longer have the option to just play an artist without shuffling tracks or going through the process of adding all the albums/tracks to a playlist or queue?

edit: focusing on an artist presents the same two options with no play all or play now type option.

Hi Mark,

What do you mean Album Shuffle? In Album View, you can select Shuffle now and it will add the album to the queue Shuffled. It will play immediately.

If you can’t see it, make sure it’s selected in Settings > Play Actions > Album Edit.

Cheers, Greg

Playing whole albums with the tracks in their correct order, but each album selected at random.

1 Like

Thanks Roon! I’m giving it a play now. I personally like the new queue although I am always an info overload type of guy.

Can’t you use a playlist instead of the queue for that? Presumably you can get the same impact?

3 Likes

“Play Artist” always just shuffled the artist’s tracks – all we did was make the text on the button more accurately describe it’s functions. This functionality hasn’t changed for 1.4.

Also, just to be clear, some rules to keep in mind for all large sets of content in Roon that don’t have a clear order (like Artists, Genres, Tags, Focuses, etc):

• Shuffle: Play this specific content in a randomized order
  • Start Radio - Play similar content
1 Like

Nobody seems to have mentioned performance yet. It is VERY snappy on my low-end hardware.

For example, the I estimate the “Discover” section is now 4-5 times faster to display on my Celeron-based Core.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Tiny mouse cursor (sometimes) on 1.4

Hmm okay. Guess I just never noticed the behavior previously or misremembered how it worked.

As far as the large sets of content goes, with Genres, tags, Focuses I certainly see your point. With Artists I’d humbly suggest that you could determine a pretty clear order vis-a-vis the the sorting setting in the general settings and track numbers. Granted im sure there would be exceptions but at least from my perspective hitting play artist and having the Albums queue up in the order they are displayed on the artist page would make sense.

Thanks guys! Love the new Radio feature. Great to see the superbly diverse selections coming up. A real shot in the arm for my Roon experience. Love it to bits.

I have a quite large collection, around 150000 tracks and now I really feel I can delve deep into it.

This feels more like the Google Play radio feature but even broader in scope, which is fantastic.

I have recently switched from Tidal to Qobuz for technical reasons and had been feeling somewhat distanced from the Roon experience. You’ve rekindled my interest again. Thanks!

1 Like

This is an update to ROCK as well.

1 Like

Thank you!..great update.

sounds like you use the queue in a way we did not design for. however, we did design for your use case: tags!

you should use a tag for that, that is a case that we did anticipate… a tag holds an unordered group of items

1 Like

This is one of the main non-data reasons we are a subscription, and not a fixed fee. You are buying into the product over its lifespan, not a snapshot in time. Software can not be a snapshot anymore.

6 Likes

Thanks James. A playlist is more like what I’m looking for, but there’s lots of extra steps. It’s not as easy to add music to a playlist and then after that, you have to navigate to the playlist and add the music to the queue. Then you still have to go the queue to see what’s playing next.

If there was an option to leave the queue unchanged, which is the default behavior of most other apps and media, that would be far better for my use case.

2 Likes

Thanks Danny. I don’t know anything about tags. I’ll take a look.