Roon 1.4 Feedback

May I please ask what the like / dislike buttons do with respect to the radio? I mean, how, specifically, do they affect the radio algorithm?

For example, I am on a Phish radio journey at the moment, and it’s throwing up some really diverse selections, such as Leo Kottke, Travis, Dead Can Dance and so on, as well as more Jam Bandy stuff like Spin Doctors, Dave Matthews, Widespread Panic, Gov’t Mule, etc. Wondering how much liking and disliking tightens up the radio diversity?

Thanks in advance.

This is great! And playback on the iPhone? Fabulous. Makes me think out of home network streaming is in the works. New release plays well. Thanks Roonies!

1 Like

I really prefer to wait some days to properly evaluate. But some things don’t need to wait. Very snappy performance and a bonus of better SQ for my ears too… Continuous improvement :slight_smile: :notes:

2 Likes

How do you guys comment on the iOS behavior?
I don’t have the iOS update, on either iPad or iPhone X. Both are iOS 11.
What should I do?

Go to the App Store on each device and click Updates. It should be there.

Cheers, Greg

I love the customizable play actions.
In particular, I use Add Next as the default action. Play Now is so rude, interrupting what is currently playing. Add Next will give me immediate-enough play without rudeness. If I want to be really immediate, which is very rare, I hit the Add Next button and then Skip Forward.

However, I think I have found a bug.
I have set up Add Next for both tracks and albums. And sure enough, if I am in an album and click on the arrow icon on the left of a track, I get this Add Next behavior I want. But if I select the track (right click or press-and-hold), the button at the top of the screen doesn’t have this behavior, it still has Play Now as the default. That’s a bug. (In the album browser, it behaves correctly: select an album, and the button at the top has the Add Next behavior.)

3 Likes

I think you’ll get what you want if you customize “Tracks and Performances”, which covers search results, the track browser, selection states across the app, etc.

David toole… I believe in cloud streaming more than local storage. I love the way Roon integrates with Tidal. I don’t like the fact that Tidal is the only option (music tastes are not to my liking). Beyond building my own library of music I don’t have an option but to subscribe to Tidal. I’m sorry that people like me frustrate you but I have just as much right to express my disappointment as well as my appreciation of how Roon is developing. I find comments like yours are an attempt (probably accidental and unintentional) to shutdown opinion… I’m not trying to burst any Christmas bubbles here.

Yes, what I did, and I didn’t see it.
But then I realized I was on iOS 11.1.2.
There was a 11.2.1 update pending. I installed that, still didn’t appear.
Not on iPads or iPhone.
Then I futzed around a bit (a technical term we use in the software industry) and the update appeared. It’s wonderful.

Not yet on the iPhone.

Hi

I am having the same issue and have to say I preferred the destructive cue ,
Also when adding to the cue as I used (with add to cue) to it puts it directly after the track playing instead of the end of the cue.

Mac mini to a MDAC

Ah, yes, thanks.

Very cool update. The iOS playback is really nice.

Roon iOS app can play higher res than what Apple even allows themselves (with the right DAC). I’m using my Chord Mojo and playing 24bit 88.2kHz files just fine on the iPhone, streaming from what is essentially my Roon server (a desktop iMac).

Apple themselves only allows native play up to 48kHz files. I’m not even sure if Apple will allow you to copy over a higher bitrate file for storage on iOS.

The only negative to this is the iMac must be left on and there does not appear to be an EQ feature in the iOS app as of yet. Hopefully, that’s in the works?

10 posts were split to a new topic: Lightning and iOS playback, Cypher cable

@dpstjp @Clifford_Hynds – are you both running Build 291 on all devices? Core and Remote?

Well, I was naively hoping for MQA first unfold. I am still enjoying Roon … I ranted hard before about “single click play” and I got what I wanted.

I see what you’ve done with the UI, and it’s all good. I’m sure the iOS endpoint dreamers are thrilled, which is probably a stepping-stone to WAN access.

Nice work.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike,

You got it in one I thought the Roon Remote updated on my iPad mini but it didn’t now all makes sense.

Really great update, especially the iOS part. I love it.

Still I have some wishes to see in the next update:

the first MQA unfold
the booklet information instead of only the cover (like Qobuz)

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Update looks really cool. Will it be coming to Roon Essentials and when? Thanks.

Is it just me or does the sound quality in this release sound much better? Yeah I’ve had a couple of beers !

8 Likes

I’ve got an issue with iPhone playback. I have old 5s and it shows itself and my iPhone X available as playback but on the iPhone X, only itself shows up. I don’t have 5s as option even though it shows up in setting on network options. But for transfers and audio selection it’s missing.

Strange that 5s is working better than iPhone X.

I will try setting up my wife’s iPhone X and our iPad and see if they have other iOS devises listed.