Roon 1.4 Feedback

Check that it’s not a private zone?

The volume control redesign and implementation is excellent.

5 Likes

The volume is alot better than before, just wish the plus and minus buttons would be bigger so I could use them.

1 Like

Looks like the bug is with the 5s. It was set to “yes” but unchecking private zone on that phone keeps resetting to yes.

My mistake. I wasn’t hitting save after changing it. Got it working now.

2 Likes

Not only amazing dsp, but now a direct output on iPad instead of having to plug into airport express. Loving it.

Like some others, disappointed that MQA first unfold was not included. I like to do DSP/DRC, don’t have a MQA Dac, and don’t care so much about the MQA controlled filter choice in the Dac. But I do want hear that extra data that is being stored in MQA files in lieu of high-res. Roon just needs to add first unfold to keep up with other players out there. If MQA software filters in Roon doesn’t happen then who cares - go buy your MQA Dac.

2 Likes

Oh good, I’m not just hearing things. Sound Quality has noticeably improved.

1 Like

Ha, yep my ears agree. I don’t think it’s the beers (in this instance) :beers: :notes:

3 Likes

MQA is still a limitation of licensing- until that is resolved there is no way to include it.

3 Likes

Agreed Sean2016! Glad it’s not the beer. Seriously on first listen “Thank You Roon!” SQ is awesome.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon 1.4 can’t update core

Hi,

I’m a trial Roon user. I have Roon core on my QNAP via the Appcenter, and I have IOS devices with the Roon Remote installed.

I don’t yet have any audio endpoints, leaving me up to now with the odd experience of a music system which can’t play music. (I have a Digione on the way)

So 1.4 is released with IOS playback. Yay!!

So I grab it on my iPAD. It offers to update my Core. Go for it!

But… still “No Audio Devices Found”. I hunt and hunt for what I’m missing. Check the version on Roon Remote and Core, check my IOS version …

Eventually I uninstall and reinstall Roon Remote and then when it starts up it apparently creates the audio device.

So there is something wrong with this process since I’m sure you’d want to give users a smoother experience?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the update, pretty cool stuff in it.
I had a crash while trying to clean my queue but I am not have been able to replicate so difficult to say if was a real issue or something that just happened.
However I would like to understand how the new radio works because I am a bit perplexed from the choices
Here an example.
I started with Violentango and this is the following radio selection

after that it played Jefferson Airplane and now is playing Sarah Vaughan…
I appreciate that is getting all different songs and album but I would like to understand what kind of reasoning is following… Some I can get some other I am not really sure.
It seems a bit too “shuffle”
thanks

Marco

Astor Piazolla is tough. He’s got four genres, and they are all really broad:

• Latin
  • International
  • Jazz
  • Classical

So that’s going to create a situation where there’s a lot of risk of bringing “random” stuff in.

We have some statistical modeling ideas for how to handle these multi-genre guys better…but it involves some bigger infrastructure that’s coming in Phase 2–when we join in-library radio with the cloud.

5 Likes

Two comments:
Really like the improved Radio.
My iPad Air 2 with iOS11 isn’t getting the update. Is this just an Apple thing that they don’t roll it out to everyone at once? I still see Roon 1.3 in the AppStore.

After I posted I had a doubt and checked the metadata for Violentango
http://www.violentango.com
and it is pretty much empty, apart the original composer for each song, even if Tidal has 5 album available, and Roon correctly identify my album (Buenos Aires 3 a.m.)
I will try with something less of a niche :slight_smile:

It doesn’t seem to support bitprefect playback anymore…?! I feel stupid, am i doing something wrong?

And my iPad still does…

Anybody know if this is related to the last update?

POWERNODE 2 is a Roon Ready device. It has a different settings screen than locally connected devices, which get that more elaborate display to help you set the right settings (since they can be complicated).

This is not a 1.4 change–just how it always worked.

Yeah, those are tough too. There’s a good strategy for handling them–don’t look at the metadata, instead look at which users consumes that content, which other content they consume (and when, and alongside which other content), and use a machine learning model to predict related music. It is a great complement to the metadata-based similarity stuff we are doing now, both because it helps handle situations where there is a poverty of metadata, and because it reveals a different set of truths.

For example, if you look at Taylor Swift’s metadata, there is a lot of country.
But if you look at her relationships in the machine learning model, there is a lot more mainstream pop from 2013+.

The second group is where most of her listeners are today, but metadata was generated when she first appeared and will probably always have too much weight on country genres. The machine learning stuff figures that out way more efficiently than the humans populating the metadata.

That project is well underway, and the model is producing really good results in development…still some work to get it fully integrated/deployed into the product, though. This is going to open up a lot of interesting possibilities outside of radio, too.

13 Likes

Funny you mention machine learning, as just few days ago I was thinking it could be a good way to navigate the library based on choices the user has done rather than meta data. Even more if you don’t have data to go after. According to the complexity of the neural network you could bias it more toward one or the other side of the spectrum. If you also manage to crossreference the data through multiple users you really could open a lot of potentialities for discovering new music.
Pretty cool!

1 Like