Roon 1.7 Feedback Thread

Frack! Did get Céline Dion in my recommended list, on top of Shakira :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It’s not a choice. Roon has changed its ‘font rendering engine’ (apologies for inaccuracy here). On most machines, including the ones Roon tested it on it appears fine. Under some circumstances the rendering is more pronounced than some like.
This is something Roon can tune, so let’s see where they end up. All users can do is make some changes to % magnification, I believe.

1 Like

What everybody should do is being patient. Give it time, that’s all you need to do to improve it.

1 Like

“Recommended for You” section with Tidal is awesome! But I have a question. Are there any possibilities to see recommended albums after I had added them to library? I’d like to see these AI connections of one album to another. “Focus On Similar” button doesn’t help. It just shows thousands of albums of the same genre.

Hmmmm, so you know for a fact that ‘Favoriting’ an artist will have no effect on the recommendations? If you have no favorites, things won’t be different if there are favorites? Are too many favorites worse than a certain number?
Do you know if playing an artist a lot of times will affect what’s being recommended more or less than favoriting them?
I DO get your point @Nyquist and don’t disagree. Over time, everything will settle into place and be good. But some people will love some features more than others and will want every opportunity to make it work as best it can. Some others don’t have much patience (I’m guilty!).
I’m not going to start the thread, and if nobody is interested that’s best. But some people will be curious about what can be done, if anything, and it’s easiest to find if collated in one place. It would be best if Roon did it, but if they don’t it’s up to the Community.

A post was split to a new topic: Shuffle Locks Up

I don’t know how the Valence algorithm works but I guess it has a lot in common with other learning algorithms like the ones in Tidal, Spotify, Deezer. They all work best by not forcing anything, just play music like you always do. That’s about the best you can do, it needs time. Deezer had recommendations for me that perfectly fitted my taste but it took at least half a year. Roon radio was pretty horrible at the beginning, it took about half a year before it got somewhere. I guess Valence does not even look at your favourites at all, in fact in order to work good it shouldn’t because it would be running around in circles sooner or later. The value of a good recommendations algorithm is to take you somewhere you never knew it existed. There is no value in mainly recommending new releases from artist you allready know. As far as I know Valence works community wide. Most important thing it probably needs is time to learn normal playback behaviour of a large community. Unfortunatly Roon community is only around 100.000 users which ain’t that much.

2 Likes

Is my memory wrong or did the Artist shuffle feature used to be confined to albums in your library? Now it seems to mix local and Tidal content? Is this by design? I’d prefer it not to (since that’s catered for by the new Artist play functionality).

I’m happy to say that the 1.7 (505) build has resolved the Qobuz 192/24 streaming crashes I was experiencing. I just played the ‘Stars Fell…’ with no issues. I already sent a message to SoTM with the good news.

I dont understand your search result. I have executed exactly the same query and ends fine up with four results as topresult.

Excellent result.

I like Roon 1.7 a lot.

What i dislike is the “All Tracks” tab in album view because it slow down the system (Intel NUC i5) if the album is a bigger multi-disc-set.

1 Like

I also find that the ‘All Tracks’ feature stops the linking from a playlist to a specific disc in a multi-disc set. I keep a playlist of tracks I have got to in long multi-disc sets (Wagner’s Ring for example), then I would click the album name on the track in the playlist, and the album would open on that disc, with the track highlighted in blue so I could quickly find it.

Now it can’t do that, or if it does its so far down the ‘all tracks’ list I don’t see it - maybe Roon could put the ‘All Tracks’ tab at the end of the multi-disc set so it can load at its leisure and still provide links through to the disc loaction from a playlist?

1 Like

With 1.7, my connection from my Galaxy Tab to Roon ROCK running on my NUC takes longer now, maybe about 20-30 seconds.

With 1.5, I had problems establishing and keeping a connection at all.

With 1.6, the problem was fixed and I would get an almost instant connection.

This is the most notable change for me.

From the last update 1.7 notoriously unable to login Tidal from routed subnet (in the same subnet from control PC login is OK, as internet access so), until plug in WiFi dongle -which connect to “internet” subnet-. Mysterious.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 and haven’t had any such issues. If anything, it’s a snappier connection with 1.7. :thinking:

Hello, pls. find below some suggestion for an incremental increase in user friendlyness:

1. How to get rid of the recommendation tags in the album view? Whoever set them has some reasons - but why in connection with my library? Suggest to implement a switch in the settings to apply the tag or not

2. Your announced New releases feature would be perfect, even more than this, if also applied on the local library artist portfolio - I think I read that you do not want to be a music wikpedia - You know that you are much more/better than this - and wikipedia is not your benchmark. The new release function will just be the cherry on the cake for passionate music lovers, like your ratings, the recommendation, the lyrics, the pictures etc. Placed in a central to find position (ie. overview page) would be making a big difference in your SW

3. On the artist/album overview page. Until 1.6 you had the album format right hand on the album cover in an easy to read transparent form, if there was a version comment it was placed on the right hand side as well transparent in an easy to read form in a separate line - Now with 1.7 the whole information moved to the left hand side and good that you have re-set the font type in build 505 back to normal. I suggest to have re-installed the two lines orignal format (album format and in a new line the version information) in a transparent box as before. Overall this looked much more professional and easy to allocate rather than having all the information in one/two continued lines

4. Overview page: Have you have thought asking the many user of what they want to have placed on the overview page and take the best out of it? From my end there is a lot of room for improvement to design the perfect entry page. Just think of putting some elements of your excellent Focus feature on the front page…

Thanks

1 Like

After some days of testing the update I have to say that Roon Radio just got waaaay better. It is more inventive, and adventurous. It finds more albums and musicians that I have never heard of but which are great. I really enjoy how it Helps me explore and puts me in touch with unknown stuff that I actually like, mostly that is.

4 Likes

I’m having an evening of a combination of Roon radio tracks and Recommended For You albums, discovering all sorts of new artists. Also, having just applied parametric EQ to my HD650s it’s a cracking discovery trip.

2 Likes

I meant that running this search the Albums provided are a bit of a hit and miss. Some have this composition and many don’t. However that is not a problem for me. Using the Composition tool I give hundreds of correct results. I cannot possibly know if some are missing (among those in Qobuz) but there are more than enough.

Hello
Anyone feel the sound quality is a step backward from release 1.6? The lows do not have the impact anymore and the highs not as revealing.
Thank you.