Roon 1.7 Feedback Thread

WTF Frozen soundtrack in my recommendations, don’t think so Roon. This needs some work also it’s all classical I hardly own any classical and listen to it little. I guess recently I have listened to some film scores but it’s recommendations so far are way off my listening tastes.

1 Like

Just dismiss the ones you don’t like and train the system more.

2 Likes

Guys, guys, guys. The recommendations feature is a learning machine. It needs time. Roon radio pretty much sucked in the beginning, now it is working great, it just needed time. All learning machine start this way. Come back in a month or two, even better half a year. By that time it can be critisized if it is of any value or not, for now it is just too early to draw any conclusions other than the haydays of Celine Dion seem to be over :grin:

6 Likes

I don’t have to do that for Spotify or for Roon Radio so it’s a shame that it’s not better from the start - I want to listen and browse through music I might like rather than have to clean the crap out!

Post in support to get this looked at.

Yes I guess, I don’t stress about stuff like that though. Life’s too short! Just play the music you do like and it will sort itself out over time.

2 Likes

I agree and I do not like the fact that without Tidal or Qobuz the service provided by Roon may be quite limited.

1 Like

Great update! Love all the new features. And speed increased certainly!
Only one bug found: “Now playing” is not synchronized on connected devices…

Agreed that ML takes training and data, however, Roon already has has a (presumably) sizeable history of listening habits across its user base to leverage. Perhaps the population is simply too eclectic iro tastes to be able to effectively hone in on a specific user without being slapped around a bit when it gets it wrong for that user. If that were the case though Roon Radio should suck too, but feedback from streamers is that it doesn’t.

Like everywhere with not-so-intelligent-artificial-intelligence (NSIAI) the people have to train a freaking machine how to do things, things that many people did not ask for in the first place. Or did not think they would need. It’s countless hours of human activities and their spare time training whatever machine On some random server abroad to maybe one day provide some incredible service to humankind
\rant
Sorry. No big fan of NSIAI

BTW I like the update and the snappiness it brings!

:joy:

Overall reasonable suggestions here (like the Single suggestions very much), but I had her in my list too, bleh :rage: (I saw she is in my library on a Various Artist album), but most suggestions are on the “safe side”.

Hope they will reach the level of the suggestions of Spotify (which where more “adventurous”) on the long term.

(Roon: I would like to see the option to place this block above Recently added)

Maybe some big Dion fans at roonlabs and some promotion going on?

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 1.7 changed storage locations

It seems to be a big increase in sound quality. :heart::+1:

1 Like

Then it is useless to me… I am not user of any of the streaming service, but doesnt the stream service itself has the Recommendation function?

1 Like

Radio has been gathering my listening habits for nearly a year and surely they can look at my play history to discern the starting point for the new release recommendations. I should not have to be manually pruning out the chaff which at the moment is 90% of it.

Well I am clearly a simple being, but I really like the 1.7 upgrade. The update process itself was simple, straightforward, and very quick. The only physical thing I had to do was to re-select the Roon/Ropieee input on my CA Azure 831 streamer, and instant joy as I listened to the new Coldplay Everyday Life double album.

Updated the ROCK, iPad remote, Android phone remote, 2 Windows 10 PCs, all quick and so so easy, thank you Roon Devs. Following the update, the Roon database update ran and this was the first time I have ever heard the NUC fan spin up.

So far I think it is Wonderful, thank you.

I like what I am seeing, I love what I am hearing.

4 Likes

Nah you just have to play music you like, which presumably you are doing all the time? Or maybe Celine Dion is a guilty pleasure?

2 Likes

I would not bet they have collected that history, and assuming they have I would not bet they trained the ML of every Roon user with its historical data. Would rather assume fresh start based on library + new releases from Tidal/Qobuz, getting trained by listening moving forward.

Maybe someone from Roon can chime into calibrate expectations right.

I guess you have all freedom to safely ignore the NSIA-based recommendations.