Roon 1.7 Feedback Thread

For me it is either with streaming Tidal or local from internal ssd. Processor activity has little to comletely no effect on audio quality at my place. I have tested that lots of times by stessing the cpu to 100%, makes no difference over here so I don’t think just sa little less cpu usage from Roon would have any impact other than lower energy consumption, which is allways a good thing

I’ve done the same thing out of curiosity; I’ve had HandBrake running in the background on a 2018 Mac Mini, transcoding a Blu-ray which tries to peg every core, and I’ve experienced no differences in streaming quality.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say how happy I am with 1.7! Thanks guys, great efforts and great features :+1:

3 Likes

Interesting results thanks @Nyquist and @Krutsch.

Was the Core in each case directly connected (ie. SPDIF or USB) to the DAC or was it a Network connection to the Output ?

Direct connected via USB. Like I said, this used to make next to none difference over here compared to either a microrendu or sms200 and even ultrarendu I had on loan. I have been listening to Roon and Tidal app all evening. Tidal app sounds easily notacible better just like the quality I used to have with Roon. In Roon it’s gone, it’s a dry, dead sound now. Tidal app sounds wider, more dynamic, more resolving, more bass impact, more air, more like I am used to. I have never experienced this before to be honoust.

1 Like

A network connection to a Roon endpoint (Bryston BDP-1).

1 Like

I’m also mostly pleased with the 1.7 update. I will chime in about two changes that I don’t like.

1. The change from icons/badges to text for Live, Bootleg, etc. As @DuckSoup suggests this should be a preference if there are some who prefer the text.

2. As I’ve explained in this thread as of version 1.7 Roon no longer uses the track name as the album title if the latter isn’t present in the tags. This means that all the tracks that I buy that are not in an album (or a folder) are all grouped into an album that matches the enclosing folder name. So, some artists on bandcamp who only release single files for their digital releases are all grouped into one album in Roon which (in my case) is the name of the enclosed folder. This is a change in behavior and is less than optimal.

Interested in hearing what other Roon customer’s consensus is on this issue. Please comment on that thread if you can.

Thanks,
Adam

2 Likes

The majority of sorted by relevance suggestions in “new releases for you” are still 180 degrees opposite to what I play. Seems to me to be just a list of recent releases with no AI learning.

Edit
I should add a list of new releases in itself is not a bad thing.

“New releases for you” doesn’t add much to my listening experience. For the moment suggestions are a bit random (Celine Dion!) and anyway I can quickly check every Friday Qobuz’ new releases.
However I like a lot the suggested albums that pop up laterally when I play one specific album. A lot of interesting finds… good work…

Since 1.7, it took up to 3-5 minutes for my Roon remote to connect to Roon server. It kept saying it took longer than usual to connect to ROCK or couldn’t find ROCK. My hardware hasn’t changed. Roon Server on a i3NUC Linus and my Roon control on a WIndows 10. Both are connected via ethernet to a router.

Before 1.7, there is no delay in connect to the nucleus. This time, it wont connect even I restart ROCK using the ROCK web interface on my WIndows. Sometimes the nucleus simply stopped and not running.

Do I need to reinstall?

Thanks.
Hope

Agree much more interesting.

I desperately want to be able to do this conveniently on a per-track basis. Basically “show me a list of similar tracks” without the need to engage the thumbs-up/down functionality of Roon Radio that allows me to build a queue. I think Spotify has such a feature. Seems to be a worthwhile addition that could use existing functionality mostly.

Create a feature request then.

1 Like

You’re right.

1 Like

I am happy to report that build 511 restored the sound quality I previously had prior to the initial 1.7 release.

511 works great for me, but no detectable difference in sound quality.

511 restored the Roon Remote environment on my HP Elitebook.
For that, I express my thanks to the Roon team.

A post was split to a new topic: iPad takes long time to connect to Core

I am happy to see that the red dot is back :slight_smile:

4 posts were split to a new topic: The Look of Love composition issues