Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Or use the preview videos to get a good early rant off your chest instead? :wink: Am open minded but inclined toward the ā€œwe fear changeā€ end of the scale.

Based on video the new UI looks great. I donā€™t think people understand how complex this task has been for Roon(I have done similar on other systems, it is a massive task). People fear changes, but I believe in the people developing Roon. So start using it, get used to the new UI and give feedback after a few weeks. That feedback will actually give value, initial ranting is a waste of time :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Surely they wouldnā€™t be stupid enough to take dark mode awayā€¦right?

3 Likes

Yep. The new control GUI looks like a Web UI (Javascript & HTML5) wrapped in app binders for the various platforms. So maybe weā€™ll actually get a Linux version without having to install fake Windows!

Iā€™ve developed software a lot of years myself, in various environments. Thatā€™s why I fear change :wink:

2 Likes

Do you see the quick shot at 2:42 in the video where you can see the folder browsing tab?

7 Likes

Dark mode is there according to Roon (it is somewhere in this thread).

2 Likes

I looked again and donā€™t see that. Iā€™ll be shocked if they added folder browsing.

1 Like

Immensely excited about this upcoming releaseā€¦ hope they fixed the scrolling issue on the iPad magic keyboard!

Oh and now you can access your favorite playlists on the cloudā€¦ yeah, well perhaps not yet. Anyway kudos to the team, you guys rock!

1 Like

Iā€™ve developed software a lot of years myself, in various environments. Thatā€™s why I love changes.

4 Likes

hahahahaā€¦ I cant tell if you are a :japanese_ogre: or a :poop: !

Either way, you made me look! :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

But carplay would be fantasticā€¦

4 Likes

Glad you didnā€™t say physically.

1 Like

UI looks like it has been optimized for touch screen users. :+1:
Color scheme is certainly distinctive.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone know if the ā€˜Recommended for youā€™ sidebar is still retained? It displays as a column in the lower right side of any album page. I probably use this feature the most to find new, related music to the album Iā€™m listening to. Love this feature, hope itā€™s retained in some form. Didnā€™t see it in any of the screenshots.

1 Like

Only 2 things are wanted by me otherwise I am fine with Roon as it stands: a universal binary version to run natively on a MacBook Pro M1 and a version to run as core on my AK DAP.
I donā€™t want to have to learn a new interface.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. I hope we donā€™t see a bunch of up-in-arms knee-jerk criers in the first few days or so after roll out. This is obviously a MASSIVE undertaking by the Roon team addressing user requests and adding what looks like some really cool stuff. Hats off and kudos. Nobody can accuse them of sitting idly by. So letā€™s take our time learning and experiencing the new UI/UX and features (assuming nothing is broken :wink:

3 Likes

Phew :sweat_smile: good to know!

You can use a 3rd party app for dark mode on a desktop.