Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

A truly mobile version of Roon would absolutely complete my life

7 Likes

Do a complete backup of your Core machine and any Remotes that are important to you. Save a copy of the latest 1.7 software in all the versions you need.

Do the update to 1.8, realizing that you donā€™t want to make serious changes to the database (besides the change to 1.8) until you have made the decision to keep 1.8 or revert to 1.7.

If you need to revert, reinstall the backups containing 1.7 to your Core machine and Remotes. That avoids any actual downgrading of software and inadvertant mixing of 1.8 and 1.7 components. It will, of course, set your Roon installation back in time to when you made the backups. Any updates will be lost, though newly added albums (files) should be picked up by the normal scanning process.

They wonā€™t be expecting everyone to upgrade to 1.8 immediately, so there likely will be some period of full support for both 1.7 and 1.8. Be aware that this period will end at some time and only 1.8 will be fully supported after that.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been told itā€™s still there! Sorry I donā€™t have the source, but someone at Roon has already confirmed it to me in the comments in of the threads :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not certain what else itā€™s supposed to do?

We havnā€™t so please can you share your knowledge

I complain because they boast about features that donā€™t work as advertised.

The link was in the next post down, or search the forum for Roon podcast

Is it only the UI that has changed ?

Are there new features? or performance improvements? DSD ISO support?

3 Likes

Previews are looking excellent, seems like the team has done a good job on the UI side. Iā€™d also be curious to hear if the underlying GUI architecture has changed, especially for mobile apps. Really looking forward to trying out the new version next week. Together with the Devialet RAAT update Iā€™m a very happy camper :slight_smile:

Which RAAT updating are you referring? Phantoms?

Yup, exactly :+1:

1 Like

Room correction with seamless Dirac would still be a most wanted feature. Hopefully they start to address it with 1.9.

5 Likes

Same here LOLā€¦ I got bored and upgraded the already great premium sound in my Tesla Model 3 with a subwoofer and upgraded speakersā€¦ mostly out of pandemic boredom. Now I still find myself listening to podcasts 99% of the time in the car. LOL

2 Likes

They have been publicising > 100 k for ages

2 Likes

Do you really think Roon are going to make changes 7 days before release

No it doesnā€™t, it always ends with Bruce Springsteen, and that gets terminated by user intervention right away ; )

3 Likes

Iā€™m really excited about this and from the previews it looks very nice! This is exactly why Iā€™d rather pay every year for many, many years instead of ever going lifetime.

Also simply love :heart:

Helps cut through the no-name releases, so you can find well regarded performances of any composition

Hope this works as described because thatā€™s the kind of number one feature Iā€™ve been waiting for. Qobuz and Tidal simply have too much crap in their systems.

Way to go! :ok_hand: Looks stunning!

1 Like

GREAT!!! So we can watch the Superbowl in silence and then after recovering from the weekend, jipiie new Roon SW!!! cool and thank you all!!!

A strange reply! My comments regarding the look of the new UI could hardly be anything other than ā€œpurely subjective opinionā€, donā€™t you think. My criticism of the new interface having looked at the Roon video and that produced by John Darko was purely and simply based on my view of its aesthetics - an obviously purely subjective view that seems to be at odds with the view of the vast majority of this thread I have to admit - but which may or may not turn out to be representative of the vast majority of Roon users who donā€™t post to this thread or forum.

I deliberately made no comment about the functionality imbedded in the new release - I am all for improvements and the resolution of problems that some users have had. My own experience of Roon in the years I have used it has been virtually 100% positive, and the interface has been flawless and hugely better than any other music app I have ever used bar none. I certainly have not been a ā€œnaysayerā€ as inferred by one post in the thread of anyone who is critical of the new UI. I do not and never have suffered any of the music stuttering problems reported by some others.

I will almost certainly hold off on implementing the new UI when itā€™s released, but when I do, I sincerely hope that the interface will look a little better than first appearance once I have changed to ā€œDark Screenā€ mode. I primarily use Roon with a large Windows 10 PC monitor and an iPad - It looks to me that some of the visual changes relate to the use of Roon on a smart phone - I sincerely hope that this is not at the expense of those who enjoy the visual aspect of Roon which really isnā€™t available from a small screen such as that on a smart phone.

Still, as you have pointed out I have the option of opting out and finding a new music software application. I really hope it doesnā€™t come down to this. My appreciation of Roon relates to the integration of my music catalogue with that of Tidal and Qobuz, the seamless interface with my 4 music streaming systems and the ā€˜music discoveryā€™ opportunities provided by Roon Radio. Iā€™m not going to find these elsewhere, and so I canā€™t see myself jumping ship no matter how disappointing I find the aesthetics of the new UI.

I wonder how the silent majority will react to the new UI and its looks?

The ability to have a ā€œDark Screenā€ mode, and the ability to get rid of that horrible purple colour are an absolute must though!

By the way - still donā€™t really understand what ā€œtuned in time meansā€. Roon was (and I hope still will be) light years ahead of other comparable apps out there. By current trends, do you mean trends in other music front end apps or trends in mind-numbingly boring social media apps?

2 Likes

Iā€™m stoked that 1.8 is finally here and excited for the release. The previews and the screenshots speak of a big UI overhaul which is great. I like the new look so far as I can tell from what we have seen.

One word of caution for everyone using Roon on Windows devices; the release date is a collision with Microsoft Patch Tuesday. Keep an eye on this when installing either the Roon update or the MS updatesā€¦

6 Likes