Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

I think the new lay out looks very promising. Didn’t think we would see an upgrade like this until 2.0.

But I hope other topics this week contain:

We’ve overhauled the core to insure the best playback possible. Upsampling and DSP features no longer effect sound quality.

The overhaul includes provisions to play from RAM.

New breakthroughs in the cure insure more stability.

ROON on an idevice will work like an iPad or iPhone should. Expand, contract the screen, etc.

ROON will now be able to interface directly with Wickepedia to provide even better insights into artists and albums.

ROON team has worked hard to insure the overhead in using the new features do not impact sound quality.

Use of HQPlayer is no longer necessary (but it’s still there) because we insured the sound quality is now second to none.

ROON has worked to insure the CORE abd the library data can’t be corrupted and is easily restored if this portion gets broken. How about an option that will delete the old hidden library data and restore it when a problem occurs.

ROON now has a quick way to insure if you’re out and about and record shopping that you can see one’s ROON library from afar.

3 Likes

I am in the market for a NUC to run ROCK and I emailed support a couple of weeks ago to ask that even if they couldn’t tell me specifics, could they tell me if the recommended system specs will be changing for 1.8. They said that any NUC meeting the current 1.7 specs would work great with 1.8.

The previews look excellent. Excited for the enhanced features. For those that believe the cost of admission is too high this release should be proof that not only is Roon in a continuous improvement cycle but offers excellent value for money for any serious music listener. I’m a very happy long time and life time subscriber.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Bill_Greenlaw!

I manage with Roon as is. Am just hoping they don’t take any step backwards.

When I import a set of FLAC files, the enclosing directory usually has a full description - Shostakovich, Violin Concerto No. 1 in A Minor in this case.

Has that been kept?

I guess I’m also hoping for some way to delete/disable/remove/suppress what looks like (I may be wrong) a set of panels for different ‘genres’. I just don’t need them!

Shall be watching this thread keenly. Support much appreciated… strength in numbers :slight_smile: !

Yeah… on the use of purple. I asked one of my young designers (28 year-old woman) to look at the press comps for Roon 1.8, while she was at my desk.

She immediately tracked on the bright purple color used to highlight actionable elements, as well as banner visuals. Her comment: “…they must be going after a younger demographic… what is Roon?”

I explained that Roon is a music library and streaming service aggregator with industry-wide support for various end-points for high quality audio playback. Kind of like Sonos does but for higher resolution music services, like TIDAL and Qobuz.

She said: “I’ve never heard of those, but I still have an iTunes library from ripped CDs and downloads, but I am not really adding to that anymore … does Roon work together with iTunes and Spotify?”

I said: “No, Roon is for people my age with large, curated music libraries and over-priced playback equipment.”

23 Likes

This would only be possible if Roon bought HQPlayer as Jussi is the one creating fantastic and varied upsamples/filters/noise shapers/modulators.

1 Like

Echo that.

That looking glass on the top right ? It’s a search function. :wink:

2 Likes

Please let us have the ability to turn off the recommendation feature. I just want to use Roon for my self-curated music library. I want to get my recommendations from people, not algorithms.

6 Likes

Wait, why do you use Roon???

4 Likes

All: Please accept my apologies in advance for my part in making Valence dumber through my search and connection practices. :joy: Now, where did I leave my Captain and Tennille greatest hits? https://youtu.be/kP4M9WflTPk

7 Likes

I have a similar hope.

Judging by the vertical paging that was already in V1.7, I think we will be disappointed.

2 Likes

Enno used Miles as his example for Focus. What’s not to like after that? :wink:

1 Like

The vertical scrolling is not done in pages, as the horizontal scrolling was.

Therefore, flicking the screen up or down can result in a display that stops on half an album.

I’m excited for the new version. I do like the cleaner UI. I just hope I’m not stuck with that purple. :rofl:

3 Likes

… because no matter where you start Roon Radio, it always eventually spits out a Miles Davis track :rofl:

2 Likes

I love the new look !

Can’t wait to test out recommendations and improvements in NRFY.

Keep in mind all changes will take some time to get used to. Use it for a few weeks before starting to rant is my suggestion :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Looking forward to this release, it seems big, with lots of changes.

Would’ve been nice though to have involved the dealer network so we don’t look like shmucks when demo-ing the new look 1.8.