Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

I wouldn’t consider it a cosmetic change, but I (personally, just speaking for me) wouldn’t consider it a high priority at all because I only want 2 channel. So yes, non-trivial, but reasonable people can disagree about priority. As with all of our “most important things”.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant it in context to how Roon already provides discovery mechanisms that might already be perfectly acceptable to most users. Do most people think that this is the key aspect of Roon they’d like improving might have been a better way for me to pose that question. …I guess many people will find Roon was already adequate in that regard. A great many people would like to have a portable experience of Roon, away from home, on a phone, in a car, these are things Roon doesn’t do at all.

2 Likes

All they say is “we’ll get there”, so there is no concrete news.

As it’s all vertical scrolling now I hope it’s still done in pages to keep things smooth.

2 Likes

As long as your core at least as fast as a 1st gen “base” Nucleus (so NUC7i3/ i3 7100U), within the use case it was sold for (so fewer than 10’000 albums / 100’000 tracks), common sense dictates that you should be a-OK.

That’s NAD’s issue, not Roon’s.

There are more than a few of us who would like to be able to play Atmos music in addition to 2 channel music and yes it’s OK to disagree about priority. I’ll just continue to use the Tidal app to play Atmos music for the mean time.

2 Likes

Sorry but that’s not accurate. At this point we don’t know if NAD is waiting on Roon or the other way around. And we don’t know because despite countless threads on this forum and the Bluesound forum, no one is being forthcoming about what the holdup is.

I’m always excited about improved function. I have a practical question, though. What performance demand will 1.8 add? My server is capable, but resources do eventually run out!

I don’t even see any privacy risks. Roon is not and never will be GAFA. The only remote and unwarranted issue could be our Tidal/Qobuz subscriptions but frankly l’ll worry more about the price of rice in China.

2 Likes

@Philip_Holt, see above …

It looks like purple everywhere, buttons, page background, … Not an improvement. Just don’t like the colour. Hope we can change that ourselves.

5 Likes

Don’t be shy, SAY IT.

1 Like

I will definitely agree with you there. I suppose I’ve just been in the camp of “wow, it would be really cool, but I was never expecting that” not “I must have remote or it’s not worth it to me “. Like if my refrigerator started teaching milk expiration dates. That would be kinda cool, but I have a system already that works for me to keep my milk up to date. But I know we all have very different needs and use this software differently…

Seconded. It’s obvious that a ton of work went into the interface redesign alone.

It’s been a blast watching this product evolve and continue to improve.

2 Likes

Well, compared to the competing “truckloads of air” on the market, you can also admit you haven’t found a better “truckload of air” than Roon.

3 Likes

For the people like me (that don’t have time to listen for an hour) the mobile question is at 52:18

3 Likes

That’s my worry, actually… I’m just below the system requirements already.

My core is an old mac mini I got for free. Core 2 Duo, 8 gigs of ram. I put a cheap SSD in it, turned off/uninstalled WiFi, Bluetooth and anything that might try to run in the background. Roon is its sole purpose and it works great.

I want all the stuff in this update, but will definitely clone my current drive before installing…

I am excited for the release. Just watched the video and there seem to be a lot of great improvements.

2 Likes

Come on guyz give them a chance to explain things. Me thinks there are some people shouting them down already …

5 Likes