Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Here’s a summary of thoughts:

• UI and stability / performance are most important things to me
  • seems like these are broadly the focus areas from the teaser that have been mentioned
  • I’m a big fan of flat design, easy/intuitive user actions, and “native” interactions; it seems like these are all focuses for the interface
  • we won’t know details until it comes out
  • I already liked 1.7 a lot
  • many of the details one can glance are specific fixes to UI complaints I had
  • I’m sure there are many things I won’t like
  • this thread stresses me out
7 Likes

I think your “most people” is a bit much.

9 Likes

Again, the recent podcast with the Roon guys was worth a listen, clues on Roon Mobile there… I am not holding my breath and it was never even on the list of requirements for me… Out in my van I listen to audiobooks on CD or talk radio. There is no reason for Roon there…
I mean, I can’t use or explore the library if I am driving and wouldn’t want to as a passenger. Roon for me is a treat to indulge in at home.

10 Likes

I may perhaps be a segment of one, but that (discovery, intelligence on relationships between artists & recordings) is the defining characteristic of why I bought Roon lifetime… Roon radio could be inordinately better, but it is already transformative. To me.

15 Likes

You can exclude me from ‘most people’. I love discovering music and don’t need and want my files in the cloud.

9 Likes

Sorry, I’m dense/not good at searching apparently, can you (re)post the link to that?

They are going to drip feed all the new stuff so they can eek out all their hardwork. Its bound to not please everyone and yes there will be some missing feature requests no doubt. But so far the way they are presenting this update is different to any of the previous ones so I imagine a few more surprises instore and hopefully a lot of bug fixes, but they wont announce those, they will be just in release notes.

3 Likes

I wasn’t going to make any comments myself until I’ve used 1.8, but I would have to agree on this point.

Mind you, there is still software around that would put things like “Scherzo: Allegro” as the main title…

1 Like
2 Likes

New UI looks great!

1 Like

I was thinking of separate libraries for different users to accommodate different tastes.

I doubt it was a survey of Roon listeners’ wives…

Agreed. But at least Roon is finally giving a little love to its classical listeners. Perhaps further refinement can come down the road.

3 Likes

I can’t wait!! Woohoo!

2 Likes

Thanks Roon Team! Was hoping for a big release, looks like we’re getting one. The email teaser of 5 parts is killing me. But I’ll live. Keep doing what you do. Thanks again.

1 Like

UX-wise, I’m very excited. Beautiful interface, and valence will be awesome for me since I predominantly use my digital source for streaming/new music discovery. One feature suggestion for the future might be the ability to share playlists or even listening history with other Roon users. This could be opt-in, of course.

My biggest question about this update is will there be changes to the system requirements for the device running Roon core? Anyone know?

Sorry discovery is essential in any music app these days, the better tools for discovering the better. I think you will find less wanting carplay or mobile than better ways to find new music. Which is the core functionality of Roon, curate and discover.

7 Likes

First I’ll see, then I’ll believe. Or not. I’m hoping - despite past experience - they’ll deliver actual improvement instead of the usual truckload of hot air.

1 Like

I don’t think most folks would consider Atmos to be a cosmetic change.

1 Like

@brian2, can you be more specific and let us know exactly what time it will be released on Tuesday?

Thanks, looking forward to setting my alarm clock for 12:00:01am… :grinning:

1 Like