Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Yes, it looks like focus is working with Tidal and Qobuz as well. That in my opinion is the biggest upgrade for Roon ever. Deeper Tidal integration was on my wish list for a very long time. Nice to see the focus button everywhere. I never, or at least very ocaasionaly used the focus filter because I never liked the way it worked and the fact that is was hidden away too much. It looks like it might become my most used feature now.

8 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m hoping the Focus is what Iā€™ve been asking for years. Being able to letā€™s say look at record Label and see all the albums available in Qobuz or Tidal. Or narrow down my search to letā€™s say 80ā€™s alternative bands from the UK.

To me this would help discovery much more than just being to do this search within my own library.

The new UI looks nice to me and getting rid of side scrolling is a big plus. I was sort of hoping for mobile version but I assume thatā€™s not in this version since all the big things have been announced. I guess also means no Amazon Music HD either.

3 Likes

I rather like the look of the new purple banners. Iā€™m particularly pleased at the improved presentation of text. The current overlay of text on images is problematic at best.

Agreed.
I do not like it at all.

3 Likes

Itā€™s mentioned on the front page of the Roon website: ā€œJoin 100K+ music enthusiasts. Roon has elevated the listening experience for over 100,000 music lovers.ā€

Is that a lot or a little?

Thatā€™s hard to say without knowing the numbers for competitors like JRiver or Audirvana. I guess for a niche product this is not a bad number.

Dark mode is there, donā€™t worry. Itā€™s too bad they donā€™t seem to ever show it. I suspect many people donā€™t know itā€™s there to choose.

Light only, aka retina burning mode, would be a reason for me to move on.

3 Likes

I also hope thereā€™s a setting to at least choose the base theme color that Roon uses to generate all of the other colors of the UI. I like purple, but the color in the screenshots is too bright. I would prefer something less saturated. Gray might look really nice too, then the colors in album artwork would be more of the focus.

4 Likes

From todayā€™s promo email about Valence:

Next, it considers your listening history before filtering for the results that are most popular, but only among listeners who are experts in that genre.

I realize this is secret sauce territory, but what defines a Roon user as a ā€œgenre expertā€ ?

They always give Miles Davis and Bruce Springsteen a thumbs upā€¦

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bonus points if their Roon Radio starting point was Nirvana.

2 Likes

I truly hope that the ugly purple is an ā€œaccent colorā€ that can be customized somewhere in settingsā€¦ It does look like the dev team incorporated the services of a good UX design crew for this release, and any designer worth their salt knows not to ā€œhard codeā€ color choices so crucial to the user experience. So here goes my vote of confidence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In some screen shots thereā€™s a bright red color too, so there is at least some sort of variation in colors. Maybe theyā€™ll even change dynamically when you refresh a page? Guess weā€™ll know next weekā€¦

2 Likes

that ā€¦ or mind control :astonished:? :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m a lifetime user too. I love using ROON. But I do know there is room for sound quality improvement.

2 Likes

In that case you got to start with your gear.

2 Likes

Certainly would be exciting - and Roon marketing suggests it is their direction of travel. Realistically I would expect this to find some constraints in performance impact and metadata availability.

1 Like

Hmm I donā€™t seem to be getting any of these emails from Roon. Do they go to.tour account email address or forum one? I donā€™t see them in either nor spam.

Whatā€™s not toā€¦ uhā€¦ loveā€¦ uhā€¦ about a pro app whose theme isā€¦ uhā€¦ ā€œtomatoes and lavenderā€? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m fine with it, as long as the dark mode has olives and bananas! :banana: :wink:

1 Like