Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

1 Like

Hi there!

As someone whoā€™s less excited about the visual interface changes yet still a lifetime member, would there be an ability to opt out from this new 1.8 interface change and say stick to the old skin?
Thank you

2 Likes

The Circular Reasoning of Audiophilia:

I can hear the difference because my audio equipment is so resolving. My audio equipment is so resolving because I can hear the difference.

AJ

12 Likes

I have just been looking at some pictures of the new 1.8 release and suddenly realised that they finally got rid of the white letters against black background and they also got rid of the blue fonts everywhere. Wow, Thatā€™s really really great, something I was hoping for for years now. Many many thanks for that one.

2 Likes

Can we expect Dark/Light mode to follow the host system defaults e.g. iOSā€™s ā€˜Automaticā€™ setting?

Typically beta testers are chosen because they have average gear.

You want to ensure it works for the broadest group of users, not an extreme on either end. Who cares if it runs well on the top 1% or poorly on the bottom 1%, you want it to be perfect bang in the middle.

Also thereā€™s a big difference between being a beta tester and an early adopter / guinea pig. If you are being paid you are the former, if you are paying you are the latter.

Unless I am missing something have they decided to NOT display the ā€œVersionā€ of an album on the album page?

That would be me :grinning:

.sjb

5 Likes

No. If your customer base has a variety of gear then Beta testers are chosen with a variety of gear.

2 Likes

You are correct, but still a variety of the most common hardware.

But realistically people are often as not picked because they will say something nice, regardless of other merits or equipment they may use.

Itā€™s still there. The albums used in the marketing material probably donā€™t have any Version data.

1 Like

Iā€™m very excited about the new release. Iā€™m also hopeful the Roon team has made some maintenance fixes like for the spinning wheel that continues to spin even after all music is added to library. That issue started late last year and just hope theyā€™ve made some changes to address this and other performance issues. I will be glad to update when it arrives next week.
Thanks guys!

Can someone screenshot or print out the email2 and attach it? I didnā€™t receive email 1 or 2 and it would be nice to see the new info. Thank you!! :slight_smile:

E-mail #2

4 Likes

Thank you!!! You are awesome!

2 Likes

I highly doubt that beta testers are paidā€¦ Iā€™ve been a beta tester for several software houses throughout my career, never saw a dime for it. Hope Iā€™m wrong and if so itā€™d speak very highly of Roon!

SFAIK neither Alpha nor Beta testers are paid.

1 Like

Thanks to all at Roon for the 1.8 update, looking forwardā€¦

PS Better have Dark Mode or Iā€™ll be madder than a mad thing being mad :wink:

3 Likes

Out of interest, JRiver declined to state their number a few years back on the basis of business confidentiality

Fair I suppose

Looks like little more than a UI change that I for one donā€™t need.
What I DO need urgently has not been addressed: native support for Mac M1 so I donā€™t have to use Rosetta and secondly roon core running on my AK DAP!
I hope I shall have the option not to move to 1.8.

1 Like