Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Dark mode will be available. See earlier replies in this thread.

1 Like

I think you’ve mistaken me for someone who likes snark.

Thanks Joel,
I appreciate your letting me know I don’t need to be concerned.
Regards,
Mario

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: I’m not receiving any 1.8 marketing emails

I’m really hoping there’s a lot more to discover than the PR that’s been released. A few “easter eggs” would be welcome too.

Got my second email…

What a Beautiful new interface but still notice buttons on elements where I hoped for navigation using swiping gestures …

On the iPhone there does seem to be a 3rd cover visible and no buttons in sight…swiping?

I am looking forward to this. I think the UI changes look fantastic. “Focus everywhere” looks awesome - it’s basically exactly how I want to use Roon.

The maybe super exciting thing: does Focus work on Tidal / Qobuz albums that aren’t in our libraries? If so, I don’t know how people aren’t talking about this more?!?! It seems like it might be the case. And if so, HELL YEAH that’s what I’ve been wanting for so long. And with the improved Focus interface, all the better. The fact that it’s not getting a ton of buzz makes me think maybe I misinterpreted their announcement page.

7 Likes

Since I don’t frequent here much anymore - but have used Roon for years and it still runs my household system - I try and make any contribution positive.

That said while I firmly felt the UI needed a big unifying overhaul, my initial reaction to the 1.8 email I received was ‘purple, ugly’. Will have to reserve judgement until I’ve seen it in the flesh, but I don’t think I would have purchased it first time round with that look and I won’t be rushing to update.

Here’s to hoping the update button (the one that forces you into an irreversible update if anyone in your family presses it on the remote) might be removed…

2 Likes

Yes it does, and I am very much looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I assumed this was the case. Now you have me questioning…

You can also swipe on those rows.

8 Likes

Really!

That horrible purple background is a huge retrograde step from the current more subtle and sophisticated look. Having said that, I’m very happy that your aesthetic taste has been catered for, as long as there is an option to make it look a little more like it used to look and get rid of that horrible purple - i.e. something like this:

1 Like

Yep sure I tried this but kept opening the PDF in an external program or web browser which is why I stopped doing that as just felt a very clumsy way of opening the information, instead of showing it directly within roon itself, and yes I was referring to my own local collection of music as you quite rightly said. I will give it another go and see what happens.

That’s great!

Trembling with excitement…

1 Like

Maybe it’s now themable?

You could consider turning off Roon Radio as an Easter egg :joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t even notice the purple background when I first watched the video. Now after reading your post, I can’t not see it after watching it a second time. :grin:

It’s a matter of taste, but I think the format they are abandoning is classically beautiful.

2 Likes