Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Here’s Gramophone’s top 50 Brahms albums. No mention of either of them. What do they know?

I noticed the massive uptick in DNS requests :wink: but otherwise no issues

yes, Argerich has played very little Brahms. If any. Its really a weird example to showcast Valences excellence.

2 Likes

Just as long as there is a version of Brahms Requiem for two pianos in one minute and three seconds, like there already is for the Mathew Passion, I will be happy.

3 Likes

There is always a strong sense of anticipation if not of excitement about a new release, but I am a little concerned when I see the screen shots in the press release - I don’t see the traditional dark mode and the overall white of the backdrops gives it a (albeit sophisticated) Apple Music look. I hope that improvements have not been made at the expense of what was already beautiful. I think I’ll wait to see what the manufacturer of my system says before I upgrade… I’m still traumatized about (way back when) when I launched that upgrade of iTunes only to discover that cover flow had disappeared …

Much appreciated, I’ll check out their review!

no Julius Katchen. Now this would be a discovery for Brahms newbies.

The price of rice in China is probably more concerning for many more people than an every increasing gathering and aggregation of user data by software companies, that is true. But i am personally more concerned about the later, sorry.

gimme Katchen, or Oppitz or Curzon or Michelangeli any day ! Here we talk Brahms pianists. :+1:

1 Like

It’s just like an album release from a band… You gotta line all your ducks up in a row. So I am glad they are doing this. People are focused, they are prepared and the launch day will come soon enough.
Also Roon are taking the opportunity to do some great promotion as well. They may still be dotting i’s and crossing T’s as well. Getting Back up in place for the inevitable support calls. You could say, they are taking it seriously

Absolutely. You can’t please everyone, and Roon has for several years mostly been interested in pleasing those who only listen to music at home and only control it with a large screen device. Mobile use has been on the roadmap for years, but they haven’t even fixed the basic Tidal library & playlist sync issues that would allow us to take all our lovely music discovery finds on the road via the native Tidal app. Same with the phone app. There are so many usability issues that could be fixed with simple tweaks to the interface, but apparently there are very few of us who use our phone as the primary remote.

4 Likes

I really don’t like dark mode. I hope there is an option to keep using a “light” mode version.

There’s a light mode?

2 Likes

1.8 has light mode and dark mode, just like previous versions of Roon.

7 Likes

There is work to be done on sorting excerpts from complete works in classical - if it doesn’t come in 1.8 there are future releases… Rome wasnt built in a day.

So based on the e-mail from today, it looks like they’re just going more in depth with each of the features listed already on the “Introducing Roon 1.8” page, correct? No other “additional” features to what we’ve seen (not complaining just clarifying).

1 Like

This has been sorted out in 1.8, as @brian has confirmed on another thread.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: I’m not receiving any 1.8 marketing emails

The emails and marketing materials are a good overview, but they certainly do not capture every last thing that went into this release.

6 Likes

Ooh excellent. I don’t stream, just do local playback - but I’m wondering how Qobuz + Roon would stack up experience-and-discovery-wise against something like Primephonic.

1 Like