Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

You are right, Joe. I should be more precise. For me would be a consumer-friendly room correction made by roon and the integration of other streaming services more important than better browsing functionality and such things.

I canā€™t wait to see how the new Focus works in version 1.8. One of the most amusing juxtapositions I have had in the current version is when I focus on Basil Kirchinā€™s 1974 album Worlds Within Worlds, an album of avant-garde electroacoustic music, and in the resultant focus list I get, among others, Gene Pageā€™s soundtrack to the 1971 Blaxploitation movie Blacula!

Youā€™ve got me worrying about the price of rice in China nowā€¦

Itā€™s only available on desktop versions.

Seems like the video on the 1.8 landing page is pretty comprehensive in showing what features we can expect. Todayā€™s email was a rehash about the Focus feature gaining more capabilities (awesome by the way) and tomorrow will be about the specific presentation of classical works. If thereā€™s no surprise in the cards for the last email, thatā€™s gonna be it. Some people will be disappointed but for me personally, this release will tick off quite a few boxes :partying_face:

The icing on the cake would be if the design revamp would include moving to using more native APIs on the mobile platforms (with more interweaved functionality on a system level like more solid lock screen controls) but we would have probably heard about that by now as well.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t see there being any surprises in the upcoming emails. Just a little more detail on whatā€™s been presented. Iā€™m very happy with the announcements. Maybe we can hope features they missed this time around come at the end of this year instead of having to waiting over a year for major updates.

1 Like

With such a huge visual overhaul, Iā€™m quite surprised this update hasnā€™t trigged a full v2.0 release. Very excited to get my hands on it, not least for the improved focus functionality announced today.

1 Like
1 Like

Two things to note so far.

1. Some people have already decided 1.8 is not good enough.
  2. Lots of people donā€™t like purple.

Personally Iā€™m looking forward to it.
Think it looks great from what Iā€™ve seen so far.

9 Likes

Totally agree. I said before that I would expect the UI revamp to be the 2.0 release but Iā€™m happy to be proven wrong here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not even sure they are following the normal upgrade process. Do we know 2.0 will be more of a major release than the point releases? Or will it just be next one after 1.9 instead of complete revamp. Otherwise what do they do after 1.9 if not ready for upgrade beyond what they currently do.

Gotcha, yes I can certainly agree with those asks.

I think no one really knows. A few folks myself included assumed that a ā€œRoon 2.0ā€ would be the version that gets the revamp and maybe the long talked about mobile streaming. Just some assumptions.

Not only that, but unless the user is doing heavy upsampling, it isnā€™t like there is a lack of spare processing power on Roonā€™s reference platforms. All three ā€œgoodā€ options I know of (Dirac, Trinnov and Illusonic) are ā€œjustā€ software, so not something where merging that and a core would be unthinkable, and not something where another box would be necessary. Making it all cross-platform and dealing with licensing is another matter altogether, of course.

1 Like

Me too, very much so. And in the meantime itā€™s G+H Coniston Cut Plug for me, but would do with Ogdenā€™s Slicedā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

well stated Jez

2 Likes

Or what a normal upgrade policy is for a ā€œrolling releaseā€ software product like Roon. Versioningā€™s often used to differentiate bugfixes/patches [v1.7.x] from non-breaking (backward compatible) changes [v1.8] and everythingā€™s changed releases [v2.0]. Thatā€™s a rough semantic versioning of API transcript. In Roonā€™s case thereā€™s no need for backwards compatibility that Iā€™m aware of. Iā€™ll confess that Iā€™ve not looked at any Roon APIs or versioning thereof to know if theyā€™re versioned independently or carry any ā€œguaranteesā€.

Most online Google products seem to follow a ā€œit can change anytime without notice, get used to itā€ policy. I have no idea what version theyā€™re on and they often dodge the versioning issue with semi-permanent betas. In software development terms the land of 0.x is the land of ā€œdo as you pleaseā€.

Unless youā€™re color blind and canā€™t see or have a hard time seeing blue. I really really hope they got rid of blue on black text (I see they unfortunately still have those dang blue buttons). I wish they would release more screenshots of the dark theme.

I have watched the video. My only fear, other than the usual update fears, is that the video shows a very bright UI. I hope there is still the option to choose the dark background.

It will be interesting to see this but am happy with the present incarnation. Often though ā€˜new and improvedā€™ contains good stiff one didnā€™t think of.

I hope simple edit features make it to the iPhone app, such as group alternate versions and adding cover art.