Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Anxiously awaiting preview parts 2-5. If I still can’t do basic things like add songs to a Tidal playlist, see the top songs from an artist on my phone, or add songs to my Roon favorites from a Tidal playlist, I’m going to scream.

6 Likes

Preview video looks great

The images of the interface on a tablet/iPad appear to indicate that Roon will finally support Portrait mode. Please pinch me - is this finally true???

7 Likes

Does anybody know if it is possible to upgrade to 1.8 and (maybe) downgrade to 1.7 again?
Or what is the best way therefore.

Is it possible to install also previous versions, just in case …

No Roon does not support downgrading. It’s best to update Roon as with each update the back end changes and of your on older version then it may not function correctly and they tend not to support older versions.

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait to try it out.

Yup, portrait mode support is in there.

40 Likes

I (and many many more) do completely agree.
@mike can hopefully confirm this.

Whow, now with complete german translation. Chapeau

2 Likes

For me 1.8 is shaping up to be more of a personal 2.0 update, so many boxes on my personal wishlist are being ticked off. The new UI oozes class as well, cant wait to get my hands on it!

7 Likes

For android tablets, too?

I can’t confirm for all form factors and devices but it should work for most tablets.

8 Likes

looks good !
great to see interface and recommendation improvements.
Anything on sound quality?

2 Likes

So it’s a responsive / liquid layout approach ?

Exciting! Does anyone know if the Mac app is still coded on OpenGL?

Ok Ok so some changes thats good. But when I have finished a YES album, am I going to continue to get either Genesis or Emmerson Lake and Palmer from roon radio, even though EVERY time without fail I tell it I dont like this song?

Will it now start to look at lets say prog rock more generally, perhaps pull up some modern interpretations, or its it going to continue to deliver nothing new, nothing interesting?

6 Likes

Nichts wurde zurückgezogen. Jedenfalls nicht vom Verfasser.

Any news on changes in hardware or OpenGL requirements or any other dependancies?
Please, if any, publish it on forehand this time.

1 Like

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m worried about the promise of “a new look”.

The visual look and interface are the aspects of Roon that are currently just about perfect for me. I would like better performance in respect of the return of metadata, but I definitely don’t want the interface itself or the visual aspects of Roon to change at all.

2 Likes

You probably wouldn’t want to do that even if you could. In a major point release there can be changes on the backend that will render an earlier version inoperable.
You could download the current 1.7 version from the Roon site. But I really don’t think this will work like you might expect.

The interface was terribly messy and dated. The new look certainly is much cleaner and more tuned to time,

Lets hope funtionality will match this first optical impression.

11 Likes