Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Than you are out of luck I’m afraid. I would love a completely other interface for Roon as well. In general I don’t like these “modernistic” interfaces because they look like they are hopelesly oldfashioned allready. Something more timeless would be my preference but we can’t have it all.

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t come across as challenging your preference or taste, because that is not my intent, but I am curious, what do you consider “timeless” design? Are there websites or other software out there that use the type of design that you prefer? I think “timeless” can mean different things to different people, so I really am just curious.

2 Likes

It would work for a while, because not everyone will upgrade to 1.8 all at once. They would need a parallel back end or backward compatibility or something to deal with that. But yeah, that would presumably go away at some point.

Will we get a 1.8 version for Apple’ new M1

5 Likes

What does “Tuned to time” mean?

I hope I am wrong, and that in reality the visual appeal of 1.8 will be better than it looks in the 1.8 introduction video. To me, the look and feel of the new release is significantly diminished by the visual changes.
I’m all for improving performance and functionality where possible, but why change a visual format and interface that is loved by many users.

Hmm. Those aren’t basic things for me… not trying to be a pain, but I have a totally different wish space. So I think Roon is going to get some scream no matter what :expressionless:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the detailed release notes.

I don’t use Tidal or Quboz, but I do have over 16 thousand albums in my locally stored library, so I’m hoping that Valence’s usage as a recommendation engine for exploring large local libraries improves with this release.

My two biggest wishlist items for Roon are support for metadata from Discogs and the ability to create bespoke libraries for each user (my wife and kids get frustrated scrolling through hundreds of rips of italo disco 12" singles to get to Taylor Swift or Beyonce). I hope one or both makes it into this major release.

Fingers crossed that Roon didn’t forget about their legacy users with local libraries as they continue to focus more and more on streaming services!

15 Likes

I watched the preview video and it looks like a nice visual redesign, but here is an example of a ridiculous algorithmic choice:

At one point in the video, there is a brief big display for Collaborations between Bob Dylan and Kenny Aronoff. As it happens, Kenny Aronoff played drums on exactly one Bob Dylan album and then appeared on the live 30th Anniversary album not backing Bob. Why is Roon showing off meaningless algorithmic editorial choices? Even if Roon doesn’t use human curation to pick out some interesting Dylan collaborator, it surely could look at musicians who have appeared on several Dylan albums, or, better, say, Dylan albums in multiple decades.

If this is the kind of editorial highlight Roon is offering me, I would really rather the company spend its resources improving its performance with large libraries, or the weirdly arbitrary way it compiles Compositions (omitting obvious ones even when correctly credited to composers), which got noticeably worse in 1.7.

3 Likes

Really excited! The new interface and layout looks amazing and it seems like it offers new and better ways to integrate with Tidal and Qobuz. It looks like they have made everything more integrated and cohesive. I cannot wait to see what has been added under the hood, like with DSP and all that. I just hope all the bugs have been addressed and that some basic functionalities are added, such as individual track star ratings and the ability to make playlists from them. Hoping that Roon will also read and use ratings, Live, compilation, and album type tags from the file and apply them. Hopefully someone from the Roon team can answer this.

1 Like

Good - dark mode looks way better in a dimly lit space with touch screens.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Darko is a beta tester so his article is a bit more than the press release.

4 Likes

No mobile version… :no_mouth:

On Darkko‘s screenshots only about 12 albums per page on a tablet?? That would be a HUGE limitation.

1 Like

I just got part 1 of 5 of Roon’s announcement of what’s new in 1.8 with part 2 due tomorrow. This Roon 1.8 announcement has made me realise, at the age of 61, just how much I’ve become a part of the binge-watching Netflix generation. Having to wait a whole day for each new instalment of what’s new in Roon 1.8 is almost as frustrating as having to wait a whole week for the next episode of Batman or Dr Who or whatever I loved as a kid. I want to binge-read all 5 Roon 1.8 announcements now :grinning:

22 Likes

I think the new layout looks really cool and clean. Hope that translates across to the android app also.

2 Likes

Where did you see this 5 part mentioned?

It looks impressive , looking forward to see the finished product.

3 Likes

It was the title of the email newsletter announcement for 1.8