Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

It’s coming… it’s coming…

1 Like

That reminds me of people standing in a queue waiting for a product Apple or Microsoft will sell them anyway.

3 Likes

No, the algorithm is robust to that.

2 Likes

This is fun. I’m getting kind of happy :grin:

5 Likes

While the Roon team is distributed and not headquartered in the US, I’d still say - if there’s an internal release time - that it’s 9am EST. If I understood correctly, Brooklyn is their spiritual HQ as the founders once met there. But my guess is only as good as the next :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t find Cog. Can you further assist?

The ‘cog’ is the little set of ‘wheels’ that you see next to the link for the release notes.

Ironically, the cog is not on any of my devices. I have the Nucleus+. I have it on my mac, my ipad and iphone yet none of them show the Cog.

I’m hoping the update will make the experience on my android phone and microsoft surface tablet feel smoother. Navigating around the interface with no animations is a little jarring compared to other software nowadays. Is this a possibility?

no cog is shown

You have to do this from your Mac or from a PC… the Phone Remote doesn’t include this functionality.

1 Like

Hello,
Congrats on new great release.
Is there a chance for a promo lifetime license?

Even better would be if Roon could take inspiration from Smarter Playlists and create a tool to allow us to construct algorithmic playlists using albums, tracks, and playlists pulled from all of the possible sources in Roon (Library, Qobuz, Tidal). It’s the one reason why I keep my Spotify account.

(Smarter Playlists was made by one guy in his spare time, so…)

2 Likes

Aha, and therein lies the rub. The cog is not available in Roon Remote.

So if you are running Roon without a GUI, i.e. RoonServer or ROCK, then you can’t shut off automatic updates.

That seems like an oversight. How about it @support?

No such suggestion was meant to be implied.

The killing of the iOS app when you lock is because Roon is a pretty heavyweight app (lots of in-memory caching keep that ui snappy when you page back/fwd). Apple phones and tablets always have less ram than their Android equivalents to boost their profit margin… this works because iOS is highly aggressive about killing apps that aren’t in the foreground and limiting what type of multitasking apps can do.

Roon is constantly killed by iOS when it isnt in the foreground. So when you revisit the app, it has to restart from scratch. It does some tricks to make you think it doesn’t reload, but it must, and that’s what takes the time. It has nothing to do with SQ.

As for the kb article, it’s talking about separation of items that may generate EMI (like GPUs) from items that deal with analog audio that may not be sufficiently shielded (DACs, amps, etc…). Nothing to do with the iOS app. You can see this principle in affect if you’ve ever heard a blackberry buzz a nearby conference room speaker or a scroll in your web browser create a buzzing on your cheap computer speakers.

Spotify has way less data per page to store in memory.

11 Likes
  1. Update iOS Control Devices (iPhones/iPads).
  2. Update MacBook Control/Core.
  3. Update Nucleus+.

Correct?

1 Like

It’s been with apple for a week before release. But flipping the switch to make it publicly available has delays on Apple’s end which we’ve seen be as high as 48 hours.

4 Likes

Do Roon community users get an early link to 1.8?
Seems like it would be a nice treat for those that visit the forum :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like