Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

So how about give us a (separate) lightweight iOS remote app? Something that can do standard Lock Screen controls and search library to pick an album or playlist or Roon Radio to play? Nothing else. Pick which zone the remote controls, done.

I suspect the real problem here is Xamarin, not iOS.

2 Likes

Xamarin is a bit slow to start, but notice that Roon is started for the majority of that delay. Itā€™s because we have to sync up state with the Core and there is a lot of state.

There are other ways to avoid this without a new lightweight app, but there are only so many hours in the day.

2 Likes

I donā€™t doubt that this is a hurdle, but as I have said before there is some way around this even when music isnā€™t playing locally on a device. Spotify does it when Iā€™m using it on my iPhone to control music thatā€™s actually playing on Spotify on my PC. It does not get background killed, and itā€™s always perfectly in sync between whatā€™s displayed on my iPhone Lock Screen and whatā€™s displayed / playing on my PC. No lag whatsoever.

Figure out what Spotify is doing, and make the Roon iOS app do the same. It might not be easy ā€” but Roon is a premium service and the lack of iOS Lock Screen controls is a huge deficiency because every other audio app does it. I imagine many, many customers are surprised and disappointed that it doesnā€™t work from the Lock Screen.

3 Likes

Weā€™re 40 minutes into 9 February in UTC! I want my update! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nugget, your bio says Space City USA :rofl:

wow. i have never seen this much excitement and participation on any other roon thread so far

If enough of us askā€¦ Just mayyyyyybe we get a link to 1.8 tonight :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Not going to happen, they want to eventually get rid of the lifetime license option. They are more likely to raise the price or out right kill it with the new version rather then offer any sort of discount.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://youtu.be/8iwBM_YB1sE

3 Likes

Nor this much whining.:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

LOL! Ya know, there are some titles that for whatever reason arenā€™t complete in Qobuz. Not sure why but Iā€™ve come across songs that Roon recommended only to be able to play two tracks or so out of the album. Luckily there hasnā€™t been anything I deem essential enough to warrant a physical purchase. But that could be the case at some point. Thatā€™s one of the things that bugs me about streaming, sometimes selections get pulled from a service, or parts of it (a frequent occurrence on AmazonHD). If I do feel the need to buy something, I would certainly price check on Amazon or whatever online outlet first, the prices were almost always more favorable there, saving quite a few bucks at times.

Wait till after the release when the whining about the cherished feature they didnā€™t get really gets going.

5 Likes

Mobile Roon. OMG I canā€™t live without Roon to Go.

I bet itā€™ll be the top whinge post 1.8.

2 Likes

OKā€¦ ready to go!

Good morning February 9th.

Still lots of places in the world where itā€™s still February 8thā€¦

Did you stay up watching the Canucks?

Have you compared Roon Remote to JRemote with JRiver? JRemote seems to me to restart a lot more snappily, and it is doing a similar job.

1 Like

itā€™s 9th already, in Europe/APAC timezoneā€¦ So when is 1.8 coming?

5 Likes