Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

I see that Roon is recommending that our iOS devices be updated for them to be compatible with Roon 1.8. Does this also apply to those of us who are using a Nucleus as our core device?

1 Like

Itā€™s called an opinion. Last I checked weā€™re still able to voice those.

2 Likes

Yes, it doesnā€™t matter where your Roon core is running. If you are using an IOS control device, the old 1.7 app will not work with Roon 1.8. So, turn off the automatic update in Roon and donā€™t update to Roon 1.8 until you can update your IOS device. If you have a Windows 10 control device, then no problem there.

1 Like

Hi @NipperDog ,
Yes, the Nucleus runs the Roon core. Once updated to Roon 1.8 all your Roon Remotes will also need to be 1.8 to be able to control it.

Itā€™s been my experience that leaks (mostly) get found serendipitously or solved by accident as an artifact of coding something seemingly unrelated.

So, probably not.

Because search is much more extensive and brings back results I donā€™t need. If I know itā€™s in my library, then a quick knock down by typing two or three letters is less convoluted imo. But, yeah, I have a feeling that ā€˜focusā€™ is being presented as the new, more global, filter. All will be revealed tomorrow.

Or re-sort sets of tracks inside a playlist - you can only move individual tracks up or down. This is so basicā€¦ Iā€™m grateful that my playlists are all relatively short!

1 Like

Man I think (and hope) you just accurately predicted their marketing plan.

I donā€™t think youā€™re in the minority. At least for me, I have voiced my requests on We want your ideas for Playlists!, as have many others. It seems evident playlists did not get love on this release. Roon has asked for ideas on playlists, plenty of people have given them, perhaps they will respond eventually.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. How do I go about turning off automatic updates in Roon? I must be missing it in Settings. I found it for the Nucleus but not for my iPad.

Settings - About - Core - Cog

1 Like

Thereā€™s no need to turn off automatic updates, @NipperDog ā€“ just make sure you update your remotes before you update your core. Thatā€™s it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The reason to turn off automatic updates is if you think there may be some time between when Roon 1.8 updates your core and the 1.8 IOS app becomes available. People may want to use Roon in the mean time and nobody can say how long that might be. Itā€™s a real simple matter to turn off automatic updates.

If you have automatic updates enabled, youā€™re still going to be prompted to restart your Roon Core to install them. You can simply dismiss that prompt until you get the iOS/Android update ā€“ no need to adjust your update settings.

3 Likes

With the extensive use being made of listening history in 1.8 I am wondering if anyone knows what constitutes a ā€œlistenā€? I often sample recommended tracks for a bit before deciding that they are not to my liking. Will that be misinformation?

2 Likes

It Feb 9,8:30 AM, where is 1.8? :grinning:

2 Likes

It is Feb 8, 22:30. Still far away.

@mike ā€¦ Will Tidal Top Tracks be working in the new version of Roon?

What time (for which time zone) is it on Feb 9th? It is now 7:20 AM 2/9/2021 Tokyo time.

:rofl: Wait for they rest of us, will ya?