Roon 1.8 (Build 1105) Sound Quality - WOW

Wait, something’s different here, since my windows rattle before the sound starts!
Or is it, that I’m sitting in the far-field?
:hear_with_hearing_aid:

That’s the pre-ringing.

2 Likes

After the first paragraph I thought you are setting yourself up for serious ridicule, but when it got to window’s rattling, I realised you are taking the mickey. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

There is always room for SQ improvement.

I wouldn’t make a joke on what Qobuz has had to say.

Jump to Listening experience section to skip the rest of review.

“since it favours a more classical approach to vocal processing. “

Whatever that means?

In a digital network server? How?

If I had skipped down to Listening Experience, I would have missed this:

Melco never uses digital-to-analogue conversion.

Obviously, because it’s a digital server, also known as “a computer”.

But then the Listening Experience section talks about stuff like sound stage, which only makes sense, if at all, when discussing DACs, which the Melco is not.

The Melco’s job is to deliver the digital bits unchanged to the streamer/DAC, and since any RPi and NUC, or any other computer, can do this, I sure hope that a computer for 5K can. It has nothing to do with the fairy tales in the Listening Experience part, though

Edit: And that’s before we start wrecking our poor brains over stuff like

Roon mode just didn’t have the same magic, since it favours a more classical approach to vocal processing.

… in a product that by definition doesn’t perform any processing

5 Likes

Ones and twos? My system only deals with zeroes and ones. I knew there was something wrong here! I’m off out to buy a load of twos…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Funny. Didn’t know about Poe’s law -

That Poe’s Law was originally meant to apply to fundamentalism or extremism is particularly relevant. :laughing:

That’s probably why I never hear a difference, thick as a brick and listening to the wrong thing!

1 Like

These are all stated as empirical claims. Or in plain terms, “factual” claims. Publicly stated claims entail the readiness to provide supporting evidence. Evidence for such claims must be objectively verifiable.

For example, you claim,

For these improvements, you credit “the Roon Team” whose skills (resumably engineering skills because what other sorts of skills could be involved?) you assert should be acknowledged.

Well, Jazzfan, before we applaud the engineering that made such startling improvements in the empirical sound quality, we must ask, What is the objectively verifiable evidence for this claim you make in this public forum?

Let’s start with what we can all see: Here are the published release note particulars for build 1105:

Changes for Build 1105:

• Resolved an issue which could result in poor connectivity to online services (e.g. Qobuz streaming or login failures)
  • Added new Audeze headphones models to Audeze presets
  • Resolved an issue where TIDAL Mix playlists weren’t updating
  • Roon Daily mixes now link to in-library version of a track
  • Resolved an issue where text filtering couldn’t process ( ‘ ’ ) and ( “ ” ) symbols in certain cases
  • Several small bugfixes and enhancements

Can you tell us precisely what in these changes account for the dramatic changes to sound quality presented by Roon’s build 1105?

Thanks in advance for your help in upholding high standards for public discourse and epistemic claims in general.

@Thomas_Pinckard1 Please tell us precisely what engineering accounts for the claimed improvements with which you are concurring?

I hope this was some lame attempt at humor. Either that or you are really dumb.

Dear Emptiness, leaving aside the insults, please explain your comment.

You seem to think that the OP’s post was meant as a real post, rather that the obvious slap at people who believe in what he, sarcastically, posted.

Am I wrong? If I am, then you humor is very dry to the point of sereness

OTOH, maybe it’s a language thing.

It’s interesting that there seems to be two kinds of responses on this thread.

1. Those who get my “joke” and believe, as I do, that other than when using the DSP functions, Roon has no effect on the sound quality.
  2. Those who believe that digital front ends behave in a similar fashion to analog front ends where often the smallest changes can result in noticeable improvements in the sound quality.

It is often difficult to discern what is true and what is just plain hyperbole in the world of high end audio. Please bear in mind that I had no intention of starting a flame war or a protracted discussion about digital audio. A little fun at the expense of some of the “true believers” in this community is all that I had in mind. Thanks for understanding and hopefully, playing along.

7 Likes

DAMN IT!

Apologies to all. My Sarcasm and Parody detectors have failed. I was hooked like a lame lake trout. Brilliant work, @Jazzfan! Please accept my scarlet-cheeked apologies (you too @xxx !)

7 Likes

Not entirely your fault. See this post -

1 Like

I confess, I was taken in by the parody. It was itself brilliantly sere. (Or I have become transcendently dull-witted in my dotage…)