Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Two words. Unusable.

1 Like

My favorite post so far! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thanks. I did find that out late last night.

1 Like

Iā€™m beginning to wonder if this may be caused by high load on Roonā€™s servers lately?
Iā€™m seeing long load times for pages to populate everywhere but not consistently.
For example I selected an artist I have over 200 albums by and it populated instantly. Then I selected an artist with 5 albums and it took about 45 seconds.

It is likely my core is underpowered. (3 year old MacBook Air. But itā€™s dedicated exclusively to Roon with all other apps and unnecessary processes disabled and Iā€™m using a microRendu).
Iā€™ve been using Roon for about 2 years on this with no noticeable lag until 1.8

Re: GUI

So much wasted space. So much more scrolling required. Why is Discover at the bottom and statistics near the top? I sure donā€™t need my display to scream ā€œHi Kevinā€ in huge serif font. I know who I am and the space wasted on this is nuts. Would be nice if the GUI was adjustable via settings. If it is, I sure havenā€™t found it.

But no crashes or operational issues for me. I donā€™t hate 1.8, I donā€™t even dislike it. But the user interface is a clusterf@*k IMO.

15 Likes

Similar issues for me too.
Pages will populate instantly or take well over a minute.
Doesnā€™t seem to correlate with my library as sometimes artists with a few albums will load slowly and others I have 100+ albums will load right away.

In my library, yes. I have several 60ā€™s albums. The category is not available in Roon though, strangely.

It makes perfect sense. Thatā€™s what I have and thatā€™s what I see. There is some reason you donā€™t see the same thing. That probably makes sense also using a Chromecast, but IDK.

[quote=ā€œMartin_Webster, post:1107, topic:140792ā€]
Seriously? If thatā€™s your experience, I wouldnā€™t be happy either, but thatā€™s not the experience I have with a minimum spec NUC. Scrolling is smooth, responsive and images populate quickly. It takes literally a second to scroll down the home page, click on Discover and see the new page populated.

Maybe you have an underpowered core, some sort of misconfiguation or a network problem? Post to #support for some assistance.
[/quote]More likely he just has a large library. My entire experience has slowed down with 216K tracks. Hey support, its another one of us who suddenly has a ā€œmisconfigurationā€ on our network or our core just lost some of its power.

Sorry, all kidding aside, itā€™s just another sign this was NOT properly tested. Iā€™d be canned if my QA team let all this go out the door. And maybe thatā€™s on mgmt, but this is not a professional update when you havenā€™t tested things as simple as entering data in the filtering field to hitting shuffle on tracks to something more ā€œcomplexā€ like clicking on an artist with 200 albums!

1 Like

Check the release dates and Settings > General > Album dates for sorting ā€¦ if there is an issue post a report in #support.

YES! Iā€™ve been saying this with the older versions for 2+ years now. I have a hard time seeing blue, especially on black, and the blue/purple is even harder to see for me. I hope they consider custom colors.

2 Likes

That setting corrected the issue, thank you!

1 Like

Let me guess their answer: very few people use shuffle all library so we decided to limit it to 5000 tracks to keep the app lighter on resources.

I hate when people say stuff like this but if this is a permanent function then Iā€™m unsubscribing and finding another app that can shuffle my entire local and streaming library (if there is even one).

4 Likes

What I like.
Fonts and graphics are cleaner. Focus is working better and faster.

What I miss.
Star ratings when multiple albums are displayed: how can I know that an album is 5 stars and another one only 3 by just looking at them next to each other? Reset button to eliminate all filtering criteria at once: after I apply multiple filters, how do I reset the view?

What I donā€™t like.
Sound wave bar is too small. Too much empty space in the page: page organization was better before. iPad app keeps on crashing when pressing settings.

In short.
Performance is better. Space utilization and ease of use is worse.
I hope Roon does not take the Apple venue when in the old days they used to have a fairly good product with iTunes and then, in the name of ā€œminimalismā€, they started removing features and turn it in a useless but slick product.

7 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: PLEASE option to restore 1.7 version - Reply who agrees!

Thanks, got it set now. Not sure why they canā€™t just have a reverse order button like before.

1 Like

Donā€™t let the door hit your butt on the way out!

1 Like

My only criticism is the small ABC graphic that let you search albums or artists way easier than it does now!

Did you check the ā€œAllow for more covers and photosā€ option? Used to be an option in 1.7 which allowed for more albums per page.

Type the letter or letters you want to go to.