Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I like the new feel to 1.8, the design (excepting the font) and especially like the improved ability to find and connect to new music, which I believe was the main purpose of 1.8.

However, like others there are some issues I would like to be fixed:

Unable to remove tags easily from an album: I assumed a long press on the tag button next to the genres on an album page would give the ability to remove the tag, but it does not. Removing a tag from an album is a real pain.

Please show next to the track what tags/playlists it is in.

Waveform is hard to manipulate, just a bit too small for my fat fingers.

Juddering when scrolling on iPad Air

Broken bookmarks due to “and” Boolean logic within same category - I understand the “and” logic for separate categories, eg when I want a bookmark of all Electronic albums in high res, but not within the same category. It is now longer possible (or easy at least) to have a bookmark of say, all Mute and all Novamute albums.

Star ratings on discography - I know this is controversial, but I liked seeing these. Haven’t played around with “Sorted by Popularity” yet, but both would be nice.

I know these points have been mentioned many times by others, just really giving another opinion of what’s important to me, an avid Roon fan. I know lots of Roon users have large personal libraries, and these bookmarking, focus and tagging features are some of the keys to setting Roon apart from just using a streaming app.

Interestingly, 1.8 has now made Roon usable on my iBasso dx200, I can see the font! Unexpected bonus.

Thanks Roon team.

Thats annoying. I have a similar problem with roon showing duplicate albums in the artist or now playing screen where it shows duplicate versions of albums even tho the setting to show hidden albums is off and the default roon setting is to hide duplicates. (this does not occur in the general album browsing screen) But it is an irritant in every other screen as it results in a massively bloated list of albums because a high proportion of my library is in more than one format. In 1.7 you simply marked your preferred format and the rest were hidden in all screens unless you actually wanted to see them.

Troll alert :smiley:

That used to happen all the time for me in 1.7 too. It’s an issue between your files’ tags and the metadata that Roon obtains externally. If it really bothers you, try editing the album and fiddling with the settings under “Edit Album”. For permanent guidance to Roon on whether to use your own tags versus external, there used to be general settings available. I haven’t migrated to 1.8 yet so not sure if all that carried over to the new version.

You must have clean power. Have you tried this upgrade?

2 Likes

@Jim_F – very cool, thanks! I just tried it on a computer and it worked like a charm – how did you figure this out…?

This would be limited to on a computer, though, is that right? – i.e., one cant just start typing on a mobile device. What does seem to work on a tablet is to type in a whole artist name into Focus, but that doesn’t work for just a letter or two, so it’s not as flexible as your solution is on a computer. Anything I’m missing wrt tablets…?

This thread is long, but I haven’t seen anyone note that the Track browsing no longer tell us how many items we’re looking at. Albums always seem to show the total and focus counts, but not the tracks. Makes it hard to figure out how big the search results are. If you click “Tracks” from the sidebar, you just get a massive list and no counts.

2 Likes

The audio quality has definitely improved with tighter bass and improved treble air!

Someone told me about it. On a tablet, when looking at your albums screen, there is a pull down bar on the right side edge of the screen. As you pull it down, you will see a display of the alphabetical characters for where you are.

1 Like

Thanks Jim,

But it’s a drag that it takes keystrokes to get where once a simple finger touch worked great…

@Jim_F Thanks again – yes, that one I had discovered (thanks to someone mentioning it in another post) :slight_smile:

Build 756 is out, please update the title to “Roon 1.8 (Build 748/753/756) Feedback” (and hope for the best).

Just installed 1.8 on an ancient (2010) Mac mini core and brand new iPhone 12 mini. My impressions, mostly of the iPhone remote client:

• overall it seems like a nice update with some general usability improvements scattered throughout
  • runs fine on the ancient Mac mini
  • live radio UI is better
  • separated icon for current output device and volume/audio control is good improvement
  • where is dark mode for iOS?
  • what’s up with the artsy black and white filter on the genre browser?
  • I don’t need to be greeted by “my name” at the top of the UI in a giant font like it’s 1999 and the height of the dot com bubble. I know it’s my library.
  • ditto for all the other giant headers e.g. “My Live Radio”
  • there is an awful lot of empty white space in the new UI. Give some options for a more compact view.
  • not sure I love the new serif font.
2 Likes

Settings - Setup - Theme.
:grinning:

OK then they can have the time if i can have my money back until it works!

this is a definite downgrade and hope they fix it soon. 2 workarounds I’ve found:

1. Saving my complete library as a playlist and the shuffling that playlist seems to work.
  2. Adding a tag to all tracks in my library (or adding said playlist to a tag) and then doing a shuffle on the tag.
3 Likes

Ah yes thanks. But that doesn’t respect/obey the iOS system wide dark mode. I’ll still use it tho’ :laughing:

Where is the artist list view? I have asked for this several times as have many of us (at least 45 in the last 3 years according to this post: List view when browsing artists ).

I run a software company myself, and I don’t quite understand how you can omit the most prevalent (and popular) list view that is provided by one of your primary competitors (iTunes). You are a premium service that many of us pay for, so why not provide this as an option (and I can’t imagine it’s that difficult to employ), especially when many of us request it.

I have a large library of artists (3284 at last count), and there are occasions when I simply want to scroll through my entire list (or even lists by genre). I don’t know what I specifically want to listen to and just want a list to scroll through until something strikes me. And your graphical view is, though pretty, clunky and inefficient in doing this. What does it take to just simply get a frigging list view???

You have put a lot of effort and thought into your new update, and it does show. But unfortunately it also shows you have a ways to go (latest poll shows that 30% of us aren’t happy with the update). I get that as a SaaS company. Always building, some people never happy. But you are a premium product, so you HAVE to better than Spotify and iTunes and Tidal. You have to have more options and views and flexibility.

If you want to chat, you have my name and information… thanks for listening.

3 Likes

Glad to see they are responding quickly to some issues! According to release notes this new build only addresses the crashes with settings for international versions. Hopefully some more fixes will follow soon!

I agree with your request, but there are thousands of requests in this forum that Roon runs and engages. So to say this shows they didn’t ask is not on point. Nor do any of us know how many focus groups or beta testers they had or for how long.