Roon 1.8 (build 778) Feedback

I will, thanks!

2 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Bug in 1.8 - 778: Artist Appearances no longer show on artist page and discography

Has the iPad update even been released? If not, how do you know whether this problem has or had not been resolved? It’s not in my Apple Store.

Updated versions of Roon for Android and iOS have been submitted to their respective App Stores and will be available soon. There is no update for Roon Bridge at this time.

Edit: iOS update just landed and it looks like the white screen issue has been fixed for me, at least after a few minutes of testing. Time tell, but the behaviour has definitely changed on my iPad.

I’m going out on a limb and saying whatever platform or framework they are using to create the layout is the problem to everything everyone is bitching about. I believe they hear and agree to alot of the layout things, but they don’t know how to fix it cause the framework won’t let them. What we see as an easy… just move that to there is, is not so easy on the other side.

I’m not saying it can’t be done. I’m saying that with the path they’ve choosen for framework, it can’t be done, and if it can, it’s not as easy as one would want it to be. And there’s no way they are going to change that… I could be wrong but I believe I headed in the right direction.

Well, they seemed able to do plenty of that within the same framework going from 1.7 to 1.8, often moving elements for no reason or with no consistency across views, so I would say no - but also yes. I think if they had started from the ground up with a different framework approach (say tab based) then it might have worked out better (or at least more excuse for the bugs).

1 Like

I’ve got the same “Discography unavailable” problem for John Coltrane, Miles Davis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and so on. What’s happening?! There was no such problem before 778!

2 Likes

Disappointed that Roon seems wedded to circular artist images. Back to square, or squircle if differentation from albums is desired, would solve the artist head cropping problem and would make scanning the information easier. Circles just waste space and lose information. I just can’t understand the desire to do this.

Also disappointed that credits remain as images instead of a list as we had in 1.7. Much more difficult to find what I’m looking for, eg, who is that playing sax? Was much easier before.

This release focused on fixing a few things, I sincerely hope that the above will have consideration.

4 Likes

They lost the plot and need to get back to being the best music DAM out there and leave the Spotify crap to Spotify. The Home page should be the overall robust music discovery page (minus graphs and other clutter), and simply a sidebar of album recs in album view, and peers, influences, and influenced under artists.

13 Likes

They`re moving more and more away from library management, I’m afraid. Just read those handful of posts just above… All lost in dysfunctional AI / Valance nonsense.

4 Likes

only way would be curated by knowledged humans!
anything based on “most people”… :grimacing:

Well, if I change sorting order (ascending/descending or by another criteria), then Discography appears. But if I open this page later it is unavailable again, until I change sorting order one more time.

1 Like

Android update now available (US). Just got it. New focus options work great.

That layout suggestion would’nt work too well in Portrait mode, though…

1 Like

Nobody understands this one… Perfect example on how to make simple things complicated.

Once you add a second filter criteria, a “and/or” selector should pop up between them for you to choose what you want. Would be soo much simpler.

Filter1 >> and/or. >> Filter2 >> and/or >> Filter3

Then everybody would see/understand whats going on.

I thought that it would be possible to search and use Focus for a record label, for example ECM, and that it would include my own library and also Tidal. Is this not possible?
When I do the search it only includes records in my library…
:frowning:

No, that still does not work :roll_eyes:

To bad. Is it something that is going to be fixed or will it never happen?

Same crash on iPad…constantly!
Nothing changed

On iPad Pro 11 Zoll 512 and iPhone 11 Pro constant crash when scrolling through genre. Works fine on MacBook Pro
All newest OS version, all German Version…

You need to ask the lords of Roon… :innocent: We get all the cr@ap we dont really want (“Top”, “Popular”, “Notable” and all that BS). But the really useful and simple things like finding albums from a certain Label?? -->> Mission Impossible…

5 Likes

I’d wait for the App update to appear in iOS store to match the latest Roon version.