Roon 1.8 (Build 806) Feedback

I had to laugh out loud when on a win10 never had roon installed and what appeared:

No daily mix

When the search button was pushed, roon screen went white, not responding, hourglass, not responding in an endless loop.

Funny, but that’s the price of entertainment, egg on someone else’s face which roon has plenty after updates to improve…

Now that you mention it - I have also experienced this. It’s intermittent, one moment it works, then at some point it stops working. You can jog it byswitching off radio and back on and making a new selection but I found at least once that it again stopped working after that.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon search sucking… Please provide examples

At first I thought it might be a truncated bit of The Stills-Young Band, possibly the shortest lived of the various CSNY lineups. However, clicking the link reveals that it’s actually Roon having a bit of a wobble and incorrectly claiming that The Stills, a Canadian band formed in 2000, played on this CSNY album in 1970, about 10 years before the band members were even born.

1 Like

Factor 1000x better than Tidal search.
And they said it‘s the first of a couple of steps. So be patient, it‘ll come to a good end. Actually you can‘t mix artists and tracks. It‘ll come.

2 Likes

I cannot find my “daily mix”
What menu is it on?

1 Like

Roon’s Daily Mix is on the Home Page, under the NRFY block. Note, many people have had it missing or sporadic.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Could you please move the “Discover” link to the left hand column under the “Home” section? I don’t like having to dig down for it.
Thanks

I really hate the workarounds (and roon is full of them) but this may came in handy (if you don’t know it already), you can bookmark the Discover section and it will be just two klicks away instead of scrolling. Still that’s not really what you want, but the chances to see it implemented are slim to none (historically proved).

4 Likes

Finally! My mixes from Tidal AND daily mix from Roon itself!! Making me a very happy man. Only things I’m still waiting for is basic controls for remote in lockscreen and Roon “on the go”. But I have patience. Other then that: it always makes me laugh how many unhappy reactions I see whenever there’s a new release. People do find a lot of things to nitpick. Especially the Font discussions crack me up. Keep it going guys! Roon team; great work on this one, I can finally retire my Tidal app at home!

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Daily Mixes not showing in build 806 [See staff post]

This workaround really has worked well for me! There is nothing on the Home Screen I really need anymore except the “Recent Added” which is at the very top. It takes about a half minute to load anything else on the Home Screen now if I was to scroll down. Now I can avoid all of the 1.8 additions, because none of it is useful for me. This Discover workaround is great!!!

It serves a purpose, no doubt about, but i personally don’t share your enthusiasm :slight_smile: Lately, with any deployment they are doing, ronn becomes more and more just a collection of workarounds for poorly implemented functionalities…

2 Likes

I totally agree. I suppose I am excited that I can now avoid all the bloated Home Screen stuff that Roon added for 1.8. They likely are happy with it all, so there is only so far I can complain. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Return to scroll position is still not fixed on my iPad in spite of claims to the contrary. If I pick an album out of the middle of the list, play it and then do something else on my iPad while it’s playing, when I come back to Roon I get 1 or 2 seconds of a Roon animation and then when I back button to my albums it goes back to the beginning, not where I left it. The first time I brought this up here was four years ago and others brought it up before that. And, like so many others, I don’t have Daily Mix.

3 Likes

It would be nice if we all could. It strikes me that apart from Recently Played, almost all the data on the Home page is already known to and stored on the Roon Core before you start up a Roon Client. I use ROCK and it is always on. Why can’t it calculate all this information and build a cached version of the Home page (say once an hour), so that when a Client fires up it just pulls that whole page over, with no Roon jellyfish whilst it waits for cloud sourced data? So perhaps this is a feature request to make Roon slightly less reliant on real time cloud sourced data? I realise in saying the above that I am making assumptions on how I think Roon works but based on zero actual information…
Daily Mixes only change once a day (Tidal Playlists less frequently possibly) so they can be downloaded and cached overnight.

2 Likes

Personally, build 806 is the best version of Roon thus far. Jim Austin, editor of Stereophile makes it very clear in his comments regarding Roon, that you should follow (as possible) the “best practices” suggested by Roon. While Jim is no question an analog lover, he also appreciates the way in which Roon can organize our digital libraries. And then in the Aprii issue of Absolute Sound, Steven Stone writes an excellent piece on the new build. What’s not to like?

4 Likes

That’s the future I’m afraid, not much we can do about it.

I think that there is plenty that Roon could do to enable a local only mode or offline playing so people can focus on their own libraries if they were interested in that.

I used to be local only (at least within Roon) and finally gave in and signed up for Tidal during lockdown, but I would still like to see features work both local only and augmented for those who want that.

1 Like