Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

i like the update very much and had no problems so far. but still roon uses 7gb of ram, i dont like that…

1 Like

I think you’ll need to call in a grammar pedant, if you knowone.

I know there has been a lot of pain so far over this update but as this is a general feedback thread I will ask this here.

Anyone who has had a successful update feel that everything is more responsive and just snappier all round in action?

I don’t think it’s my imagination :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Ditto. Same setup here…

Everything went smoothly here. Updated ROCK and iPad 8th Gen, iPad Mini 5, iMac and Mac mini remotes with no problems. Now have to spend some time exploring the changes. Thanks, Roon Team.

2 Likes

since 1.8 roon is pretty slow for me. it can take 15 or more seconds to load an artist page. and that even for artist with 1 album and 0 albums on tidal.
my core is running on a 6700k and my desktop has a 9900k

Mine is ROCK on NUC. No issues to report.

Can’t tell, consider myself very lucky the Roon Server setup has always been snappy, immediately responsive, and basically trouble free.

Knocking on wood and wishing everyone had the same experience.

2 Likes

Same happens to me using a dedicated PC running Windows 10 pro to host the core. Its a total unusable mess.

Running on a Synology 6.x NAS, the update went fine. No issues to report.

1 Like

Well, once the images (artist, covers, etc.) have been cached, the browsers are at least as snappy as I believe they were with previous versions of 1.8 - perhaps even a mite snappier.

I do see a delay in populating the images in a browser page the first time the page is displayed though…

4 Likes

I’m not seeing any increase in RAM usage. 40K library, Core on 4 core Mac Mini i7, 16 GB of RAM only uses 1-3 GB.

i have over 700k.
the thing is roon is extremly slow with massive ram usage and plex is extremly fast with just using 80 mb of ram

I am very satisfied with the update, but not completely free of luxury problems. However, I will not be carried away so quickly to the statement that everything has become faster and better. The fact remains that I have successfully migrated 10 systems in 2 days so far. Each system could also be used alternately as a core or server or act as a remote control.

1 old Macbook Pro year of construction 2009 with 13 inch display MacOS 10.11.06 El Capitan 1
1 old Acer Aspire 8943G year of construction 2010 18.4 inch Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro 2
1 Acer Aspire V5 Aspire V5-572P year of construction 2013 15.6 inch touch with Windows 11 Manjaro 2
1 Acer Aspire V5 Aspire V5-573G year of construction 2014 15.6 inch matt with Windows 10 and Manjaro 2
1 Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone 5.8 inch year of construction 2017 with Android 9 1
1 XMG CORE 17(M20, RTX 2060) Year of manufacture 2021 17 inch matte with Windows 10 and Manjaro 2

These 10 systems from the ecosystems of Apple, Microsoft, Google and the free Linux world all showed no problems during the update. They are free of system brakes, ballast and well maintained as far as operating system updates are still available. I am not an IT expert and use knowledge from the Internet.

It didn’t matter if 10 year old or new devices received the update. Before each update I had made sure with a data backup (Clonezilla) that I could safely get into reverse. I didn’t have to go back, though. Backups always sit in closet and don’t stay connected to the internet.

I keep old systems up to Roon version 1.7 so I can compare and indeed I have to admit, it’s getting better with my large database of over 300,000 albums since I’ve been using 64GB RAM and a fast XMG (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics). So hardware influences also play a big role. I see completely new systems and NAS more critically in the Internet reading. Some nasty reports come up every day, independent of Roon.

The 2.7 million data sets quickly find all remote controls with pictures via cable. Via WLAN, I noticed the described creeping of the pictures, even when I was only a few meters with the notebook next to the router. Once, the re-plugged USB DAC on the Acer V5-572P wasn’t immediately recognized, but otherwise I’m surprised how smoothly it ran for me. The fluctuating number of tracks and albums also fixes itself for me with each reboot, which is done within 10 to 15 minutes with the full scan of 8 hard drives.

I will continue to refrain from doing my own data maintenance in Roon after the problems described. Tagging is simply better done with SongKong, MP3Tag, Foobar2000, AlbumArtDownloader, Lollypop… in the music file or artist/album folder. Nothing would be missing, even after a Roon database problem. Powerful machines rebuild almost any database in one night.

I wish it had gone so smoothly for everyone and thank the team for that. I wish you all have your systems back up and running by Christmas, but not everyone can handle computers well enough to make it a good experience forever. Maybe you need worldwide trained partners to support you when computer problems occur.

There are already so many error sources and solutions described in the forum. The knowledge must be better used in the customer’s interest.

1 Like

The black borders on the albumart in the Now Playing view are still there…

Screenshot - 17_12_2021 , 20_41_08

Yes, that black box under the Artist name is really annoying. Try resizing the Roon window and make it narrower. When it gets narrow enough, the image will resize and the text will appear over it. Or, go full screen and it will do the same (at least on my MacBook). Nothing you can do about it on the iPad in landscape mode, but it goes away if you rotate to portrait.

I guess they changed the way they scale the images so that they keep the same size ratio, rather than they way they used to do it. They probably did it to preserve way the image is centered so that portions of it don’t get cropped out based on the size of the window.

5 Likes

All good here. Took a couple of goes with the ‘Squeezebox support’ slider to pick up my 2 Duet endpoints, but all working fine now. Other than that zero issues here!
Art director is cool too. Nice to contribute.

5i5 RYH 16Gb NUC running ROCK, iOS remotes, CXNV2 and 2x Squeezebox Duet endpoints.

1 Like

I am running a stable ten-day old backup after initial DB corruption, and my iPhone remote lags on reconnecting…similar to how 1.8 started out. It got snappier the more small updates we got, but it feels a bit more like that initial sluggishness.

That said, I haven’t been able to check out any new features or power use Roon since I am working and have dedicated that free time to backup recovery, lost endpoints, crashing remotes, etc.

Interesting. Here’s what I show.

I don’t know if this is the case, but it appears that the image on Discogs is also that slightly rectangular shape. I know sometimes if an album is released in digipak, the art released has this shape. Just a thought though: