Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

We pay for a product/ service- this update is not fit for purpose.

Build 882 is just pushed out.
Give it a try and see if it helps

2 Likes
1 Like

Hi all, we just release Build 882 that fixes a few issues affecting folks in this thread. Please read the release notes for more details, take the update, and let us know how it goes!

6 Likes

It doesnā€™t appear anything was done about the database issues, nor any acknowledgment that there may be an issue with 880 that may be causing this. Just because they havenā€™t found an issue with 880 doesnā€™t mean there isnā€™t one.

How can anyone feel confident updating with so many reports of issues? Iā€™m very reluctant to do so and risk years worth of work.

Would testing my last backup before updating to 880/882 provided any assurance that the update will go smoothly without database issues?

When you read between the lines, it says the corruption is rare and it can occur due to hardware failure.

Iā€™m sure we have all been using our machines for many years and a majority of us are using other software, too. Did they get corrupted, too?

No the real issue is the use of LevelDB which is prone to corruption. Itā€™s not me who is saying it but Wikipedia.

Donā€™t update.

I agree and second this question. Thatā€™s what I want to do after much wasted time and effort!
If you (anybody) finds a way, please let me know. Thank you.

Update to Build 882 went well on Roon Nucleus and Dell XPS 15. No issues. Thanks.

EDIT: The Metadata Improver red triangle stayed lit, but a reboot of my Nucleus took care of that.

1 Like

If you have a spare PC you could try and install Roon B882 on this PC and try and restore a backup from your current Core. This should show if it restores well or if there is any latent corruption being detected which would pose problems at updating your current main core.

True that!

Luckily for me, but obviously not for many other users, the update doesnā€™t seem to have affected meā€¦apart from needing an update for my Fire tablet controllers. The statement from Roon is a little bit defensive imho. As Saturn94 mentioned, it does not appear to help anyone with the ā€˜corrupt databaseā€™ problem. Having worked in a customer facing Quality Management position for many years I find the general response from Roon staff as far too casual.

This issue cannot do anything positive for the reputation of the product and I can Imagine the Marketing people are currently pulling their hair out because of all this negativity.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I would do if I had a huge database with years of work that had gone into it. I would even be tempted to buy an inexpensive laptop to try it before risking my database. But then, what to do if it fails??

Yes; only this wonā€™t help in the long run, as you canā€™t keep Roon indefinitely on an old version. Even if a user tests his backup now and finds that there is corruption, he at one point will be forced to update his Roon Core and start from fresh, if thereā€™s no consistent and working older backupā€¦

Unless the database repair works that has been posted in a couple threads here.

1 Like

Remember that just because someone wrote something on Wikipedia at some point in the past, it doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s still true today.

18 posts were split to a new topic: Search for Handel Returns Mozart as Top Result

Agreed, but given the current situ it may be an issue still :wink:

1 Like

roon gives me a blank page

and, wait, wait iā€™m loading

Good point. At some point Iā€™ll have to update. But perhaps waiting may buy some time in case Roon comes up with a solution later?

Iā€™m not sure how I would test 882 using another computer without messing up my current setup (I have a Windows 10 PC set up as a remote. Core is on my Salkstream III streamer).