Roon 1.8 (Build 923) - Feedback

Mike are you also working on the content (information) of the Chromecast display? Is content on the radar screen?

Chromecast occasionally does this where I assume the current band (MC5) may not have large format pictures. It then leaves the last band picture there, in this case Al Stewart.

1 Like

Just had a core meltdown and a random reboot, which has never happened before,. I don’t think the DSP engine is working particularly well with this slow starting issue and perhaps other things awry. It’s also had some odd audible artefacts that not had before. Hoping they sort this out soon.

1 Like

They could not be so far apart!

Yes very true, but that is how I roll sometimes :grin:
I was in transition mode

I’m also experiencing a very long delay restarting the music from Qobuz when I make a PEQ change. In the past there use to be a short delay, but now it is MUCH longer.

Its not just with DSP its also happening without. They are aware and hopefully sort it soon.

1 Like

Good point. I also get the delay when pausing/restarting a track from Qobuz like others have reported.

Since an hour or so, the artist picture doesn’t show up on the chromecast display anymore. Anyone else notice this?

Never mind, a reboot of the server solved the ‘problem’.

Having made all the complaints against Roon, I still cannot stop using Roon :slight_smile:
I quite like the Roon experience.

I fully understand, the benefits still outweigh all its issues, no one really gets near what it does.

3 Likes

This topic might have come up earlier but this is my finding (so far, looks like a bug).

In an iPhone, if I touch the ip address input box, it takes me out of the screen shot below effectively making me unable to enter an ip address for the roonserver. This was not happening in 918 version.

What is causing you to use that input box in the first place?

Port forwarding so I can access the roonserver via mobile network.

1 Like

When you say “artifacts” what do you mean?

I use PEQ for an active crossover and I haven’t heard any “artifacts”!?

I get digital sash, only happend a few times but not had it before.

Be very, VERY careful with this. Anyone in the world who can establish IP connectivity to your core can do anything they want with it, including resetting your database and formatting your music drive, with no authentication required.

Thank you for raising this concern for me. I love to know more about this topic. Things like how easy to gain root access to a ROCK machine(or a linux machine), how likely treat actors would seek after the roon port numbers (over more lucrative ones), what measures(easy ones) I can take on top of the roon core authentication speed bump, etc.

My system once got hijacked through an open vnc port (I did not change the default port number.). My apple id was used to scam some game money (Final Fantasy) using some innocent Japanese owned credit cards. I was also charged small game money via my Apple account, which Apple helped me recoup. Lesson learned. I am still longing for the remote access convenience. Best practice?

Best practice would be to never, EVER use port forwarding. You are literally letting anyone in the world into your network, and depending on the security of the target device (which is typically not designed to be directly on the internet) to keep your entire network from getting pwned. Roon is a perfect example of this, having no security at all. “uncommon ports” is no protection whatsoever with modern automated scanning.

If you want to securely access your Roon core remotely, the only realistic way to do so is with a VPN (using strong authentication) terminated on your router.

3 Likes